Can Paddy Considine's Journeyman land a knockout blow for British boxing movies?
As UK cinemas prepare for the release of Paddy Considine’s new feature Journeyman, it’s a good time to think about the genre that Considine is working in: the boxing film. Asked to list some of the genre’s characteristics, the average movie-goer might say: a working-class setting, predictable rise and fall, lots of triumphalism, and something else ... Americans. In spite of the sport’s Anglo-American genesis and its still immense popularity in the UK, few British films about the fight game – compared with the heft of Rocky or Raging Bull or Creed or Million Dollar Baby – have ever made a... read more
- 01:44 Wiltshire Police confirm no nerve agent exposure for Salisbury diners
- 01:29 'Sexist, unsafe' world experienced by young girls
- 01:27 Bernard Ingham: Toil and trouble as parties descend into a total mess
- 01:27 The Yorkshire Post says: HS2 and its tests. High-speed line of...
- 01:27 Mark Burns-Williamson: Police need the resources to do their job
- 01:27 Mike Regnier: How Yorkshire Building Society learned the lessons of...
- 01:25 Christine Blasey Ford: Kavanaugh accuser 'faces death threats'
- 01:22 Yoghurts (even organic ones) 'full of sugar'
- 01:18 “It’s too late to stop now.” Those were the words of the late...
- 01:13 People's Vote says 'multiple opportunities' for Brexit referendum
- 01:02 Sugar: Kinder rebuked for breaking kids' advertising rules
- 01:01 Mike Regnier: How Yorkshire Building Society learned the lessons of...
- 00:59 The Yorkshire Post says: Migrants – and why they count. Policy...
- 00:59 Mark Burns-Williamson: Police need the resources to do their job
- 00:58 The weird and wonderful life of Elon Musk
- 00:58 Former foster carer and ex-teacher denies sexually assaulting two...
- 00:57 Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool have the stamina to stick to his gameplan
- 00:55 The Yorkshire Post says: Rural life lessons. Twinning schools with...
- 00:55 The Yorkshire Post says: HS2 and its tests. High-speed line of...
- 00:54 Sudoku 4,169 medium
- 00:50 Salzburg summit: Austria leads EU's anti-migrant drive
- 00:50 'I lost my entire family to a cult': How one woman escaped Grace Road
- 00:37 Braving new heights
- 00:37 Business Profile: Fiona Toye of Toye Kenning & Spencer
- 00:37 Campaign to get Stourbridge war hero Frank Foley knighted
- 00:32 Yemen conflict: A million more children face famine, NGO warns
- 00:29 The chef using 60,000-year-old recipes
- 00:27 ICC opens Myanmar Rohingya crimes probe
- 00:26 Will we ever get self-healing smartphones?
- 00:26 The secret life of a female bodyguard