Campers take shelter in schools after floods hit France
Holidaymakers have been affected by storms in France and northern Europe as rivers burst their banks, washing over parts of campsites.
About 1,600 people were evacuated from campsites in three regions of southern France on Thursday after the equivalent of several months’ rain fell in a few hours.
Most campers at official sites in Gard, Ardèche and Drôme had time to pack up their belongings as police calmly ushered them to school gymnasiums, where they spent the night on camp beds provided by the Red Cross.
But at a campsite in Saint-Julien-de-Peyrolas, people at a holiday club for German... read more
- 19:04 Patisserie Valerie says its accounts were 'significantly manipulated'
- 19:04 Hundreds of new council homes will be built in Sheffield
- 19:04 LIVE – Prime Minister Theresa May faces vote of no confidence
- 19:03 Hull's NHS shells out £12m in a year in negligence claims
- 19:03 LIVE – Prime Minister Theresa May faces vote of no confidence
- 19:02 Scientists find ancient humanoid fossil has a surprisingly...
- 19:02 Coffee is under threat as 60 percent of species now face extinction
- 19:01 Harry Kane aiming for February return from injury in time for...
- 19:00 Watch police seize deadly weapons from car in Wolverhampton
- 19:00 Kate Middleton reveals activity Princess Charlotte is 'very keen'...
- 19:00 Teenager raped seven-year-old boy in graveyard
- 18:59 Chelsea increasingly confident of signing Gonzalo Higuaín in January
- 18:59 Full transcript of every word Marcelo Bielsa said in Leeds United...
- 18:59 Faces of five men involved in the brutal kidnap, torture and...
- 18:58 Fugitive cow is still on run six months after she escaped from rodeo
- 18:55 Murdered dad will never get to hold or love his newborn baby,...
- 18:53 Chitra Ramaswamy: Love Letter To Europe
- 18:53 A1M crash leads to seven miles of congestion
- 18:53 Mary Queen of Scots map launched in new tourism campaign
- 18:53 New Middlesex coach Stuart Law: ‘I was a tough player – hopefully...
- 18:53 Liverpool transfer stance on unsettled Barcelona star Coutinho...
- 18:51 Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa makes SHOCK admission amid 'spying' saga
- 18:50 Liverpool fans faced 'obvious, serious and present' danger on...
- 18:45 Hull MP Emma Hardy blames Tory austerity for rise in Humber Bridge...
- 18:42 Pregnant Meghan laughs as pensioner calls her a ‘fat lady’
- 18:41 Sunderland council chiefs call for ‘fair share’ of funding from...
- 18:41 Small increase in heating charges for Sheffield tenants
- 18:41 No rent rise for Sheffield Council tenants this year
- 18:41 More people will leave institutions and live in communities
- 18:35 LOTTO RESULTS: Tonight’s winning National Lottery numbers Wednesday...