Campaign for Scunthorpe steelworks to provide steel for HS2 rail link
The Community trade union is heading a campaign to bring to the Scunthorpe British Steel works a contract to supply two millions tonnes of steel to help build the 330-mile High Speed 2 rail link, between London and The Midlands and the North.
It is understood that least 12 foreign firms are bidding for a share in the £56 billion scheme, which starts next year..
But the Scunthorpe steel industry's biggest union is keen to avoid a repeat of work on building Britain's new fleet of Trident submarines when the French were awarded the contract to supply the steel.
More: Travellers spotted in... read more
- 09:42 Scientists aim to stop the devastation of Zika-like pandemics
- 09:41 Interview: Kevin Linfoot back in the property game
- 09:39 Chesterfield’s hour-by-hour weather forecast
- 09:34 Once you see Cats in Food, you’ll struggle to un-see them
- 09:33 Kettering mental health charity handed a £3,000 boost
- 09:32 Saudi Arabian women celebrate as driving ban lifted
- 09:26 History society book launched at Southfield House
- 09:25 Private schools shun GCSEs and A-levels
- 09:20 Manchester United signing Fred scores wonder goal in Brazil training
- 09:20 Why do footballers spit?
- 09:19 Saviour and sultan, ally and foe – west in a bind over Erdoğan
- 09:19 Born out of brutality, South Sudan, the world’s youngest state,...
- 09:18 Huge fire in Birmingham: 75 firefighters called to severe blaze in...
- 09:17 Lincolnshire’s fire stations to host blood donation sessions
- 09:16 Harborough Bake Off star to appear at feast for food lovers!
- 09:15 Manchester’s been crowned ‘the world’s wildest city’
- 09:15 Ladies, let this woman teach you to ‘shoot your shot’
- 09:14 Three arrested over stabbing of boy, 15, at birthday party
- 09:11 Uttoxeter commuters promised more rush-hour trains in rail shake-up
- 09:08 Latest news from Berwick Civic Society
- 09:06 Can you solve it? Are you smarter than a maths jammer?
- 09:04 Saudi women in the driver’s seat as ban finally ends
- 09:04 Happy faces at St John’s Priory School’s Race for Life
- 09:03 "Encouraging others to support the town of Halifax "
- 09:01 'I didn't want to be 50 and fat!' - Burton mum kicked her snacking...
- 08:59 MSPs suggest text alerts could be sent to remind accused to show up...
- 08:58 Road in Eastwood closed over concerns for man’s safety
- 08:57 Ant McPartlin's ex-wife Lisa Armstrong threw his new lover out the...
- 08:57 Brigitte Nielson welcomes baby girl after giving birth at 54
- 08:51 Aston Villa linked with World Cup star - reports