Cammell Laird bids to build new warships and create 500 new jobs
Cammell Laird is bidding for a £1.25bn contract to build new Royal Navy warships which would create as many 500 jobs.
The Birkenhead shipyard is competing to build all five of the next generation of Type 31 frigates.
The company says that as well as safeguarding work for its existing 1,000-strong workforce, hundreds of additional jobs could be created, boosting staff numbers to around the 1,500 mark.
In addition, hundreds of more jobs could be created in the local supply chain.
Britain’s Royal Navy is about to place orders for five Type 31 Frigates - Cammell Laird says it could build four... read more
- 13:42 Barrow MP John Woodcock calls for harassment investigation to be...
- 13:41 Dolphins caught on camera swimming near Roker Pier in Sunderland
- 13:38 Girl, 15, dead and boy, 14, fighting for his life after ‘adverse...
- 13:37 Skimming devices being used at Notts cash machines
- 13:35 Model whose face was melted in acid attack on 21st birthday shares...
- 13:35 Man Utd transfer news: Jose Mourinho was offered Atletico Madrid...
- 13:32 'Lowlife' thieves steal nurse's car in Headingley
- 13:32 Beauty tips: the joy of highlighters
- 13:31 Unlucky England fan travels to Russia for World Cup game against...
- 13:31 New move in £16.8m football hubs project
- 13:30 Meet Coventry's most famous dog with an army of Instagram followers
- 13:29 Dare to dream: Eleven things that would definitely happen if...
- 13:28 Ulverston to celebrate retro cycling
- 13:26 State of Origin 2018: New South Wales down Queensland to win series
- 13:25 Birmingham’s chip shop queen Artemis Pili dies aged 100
- 13:23 Why Meghan wears shoes that are too big for her
- 13:22 Teenage jogger who accidentally crossed border from Canada to the...
- 13:22 Britain is on the brink of a halloumi shortage - and cheese lovers...
- 13:20 Ukraine Roma camp attack leaves one dead
- 13:20 Man Utd transfer news: Kylian Mbappe linked with STUNNING move...
- 13:20 Theatre company marks half a century of performances at unique open...
- 13:20 Cadet officers honoured by Queen in ceremony at Belvoir Castle
- 13:17 This is what it is like to be pulled over by police and breathalysed
- 13:16 Family devastated after WW2 veteran grandfather's ashes stolen from...
- 13:16 Majority of Scots ‘would pay more tax to help NHS’
- 13:10 Labour frontbenchers defend no show at anti-Brexit march
- 13:10 Outcry as thousands of Solihull residents await replacement bins
- 13:07 USA follow victory over Scotland with six-try beating of Canada
- 13:04 Kylian Mbappe next club odds: Man City out in front in race to sign...
- 13:00 Vets urge pet owners to protect pets as temperatures soar