Budget 2017: How will stamp duty cut help first time buyers?
The claim: Changes to stamp duty will save an average of £1,700 to first-time buyers.
Reality Check verdict: The average first-time buyer would indeed save about £1,700 in stamp duty, but for some people it's likely that would be more than offset by increased house prices, according to the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), which provides independent assessments of the Budget. It's likely to be better news for potential first-time buyers struggling to get together a deposit than for those unable to borrow enough as a result of their earnings.
Chancellor Philip Hammond has abolished... read more
- 07:56 Joyce McMillan: Edinburgh Festival is infected by the age of rage
- 07:54 Ayton Primary School roof repairs
- 07:53 Elon Musk was 'not on weed' when tweeting about taking Tesla private
- 07:53 Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City or Chelsea? Wes Brown makes bold title...
- 07:52 Messages advising smokers to 'make this your last pack' could be...
- 07:47 Cavendish Nuclear tests new mapping system
- 07:47 Every business in enterprise hub broken into an £40,000 worth of...
- 07:45 Angelina Jolie ‘lookalike’ reveals her most extreme look yet
- 07:45 Nearly 80 people collapse in single park from synthetic marijuana...
- 07:45 Cavendish Nuclear tests new mapping system
- 07:43 Sadiq Khan: London planners must prepare for no-deal Brexit
- 07:43 Earliest galaxies found 'on our cosmic doorstep'
- 07:40 Sheffield man in custody over attack in which kneecap and thigh...
- 07:40 Murder suspects due in court over stabbing of Sheffield dad-of-three
- 07:40 Stabbing victim fighting for life in hospital
- 07:40 Baby pulled alive from drain with umbilical cord wrapped around...
- 07:40 Tenant whose 'pap' inspired her to garden among winners of...
- 07:39 Bamber Bridge have a mental edge over this weekend’s opponents...
- 07:38 Stunning murals brighten up Carlisle railway station
- 07:38 Cutting out carbs could shorten your life, suggests study
- 07:37 Long M1 queues near Shepshed after lorry mounts central reservation
- 07:36 This is when Leeds will be hit by heavy downpours this weekend as...
- 07:31 Carlisle taxi driver banned from driving after writing off his car
- 07:21 Brave Bertie has another operation
- 07:21 Teething problems for new town parking restrictions
- 07:21 Stage is set for a vital makeover of theatre
- 07:20 Why this hassle over a travel insurance payment from Nationwide?
- 07:19 Shocking footage captures police officer hit by colleague’s van...
- 07:18 Family fuming when short flight to Birmingham Airport triggers 30...
- 07:18 The three big decisions Unai Emery must make ahead of Arsenal...