British TV drama for autumn 2018: water-cooler moments are back
It has been a record-setting autumn for British television. The 10.4 million viewers that the first episode of BBC’s critically acclaimed drama Bodyguard attracted made it the biggest new drama on UK television for a decade. But it is hardly the only show that is able to draw a crowd.
There are the big autumn reality shows – The Great British Bake Off and Strictly Come Dancing – as well as the totally engrossing docu-drama The Mighty Redcar. A trio of media-based dramas have all emerged at the same time: Mike Bartlett’s send-up of the newspaper world, Press; Danny Boyle’s Getty family saga,... read more
- 18:21 Novak Djokovic aims dig at ATP on eve of World Team Cup annoucement
- 18:19 Book Review Chaos theory on the dark side
- 18:20 Violent crime rises by 16 per cent in Northamptonshire over one year
- 18:19 Theatre Review Ducking painful truths
- 18:19 Theatre Review Pinter to perfection
- 18:19 Labour confident its Brexiters will vote against May's deal
- 18:17 Deliveroo riders denied rights to collective bargaining, court told
- 18:17 SSE-npower merger at risk over price cap and lost customers
- 18:17 Outlaw King: behind the scenes at the film shoot
- 18:17 Enjoy a Christmas day out to remember forever at Twycross Zoo
- 18:15 Put forward your community champion for MP’s competition
- 18:13 El Chapo trial: judge rebukes defense attorney over opening statement
- 18:13 Woman on trial over child found in squalid car boot in France
- 18:13 Kweku Adoboli deported to Ghana on flight from Heathrow
- 18:13 Climate change is making hurricanes even more destructive, research...
- 18:12 Ben Ryan: ‘If rugby were a company people would be comparing it to...
- 18:12 Comic paid to NOT perform her 'bondage' show at club as part of...
- 18:11 Mother Shipton’s scoops accolade for ‘best event’
- 18:11 Put forward your community champion for MP’s competition
- 18:06 Jim Acosta: White House defends revoking CNN man's access
- 18:06 Trump's attack on Macron lacked 'common decency', France says
- 18:05 Class acts earn silver accolade for healthy food
- 18:03 Sheffield congestion charge: ‘Drivers need an alternative’
- 18:03 Charles Bronson tells Leeds Crown Court attempt GBH trial jury he...
- 18:01 More than 400 people join Birmingham 'vigilante group' to protect...
- 18:01 Charles Bronson tells Leeds Crown Court attempt GBH trial jury he...
- 17:58 Body found in River Mersey this morning identified
- 17:57 Seth Meyers on CNN suing Trump: 'He's been served more than the Big...
- 17:56 Liverpool news: £85m Dembele bid, Van Dijk on De Ligt deal, Alisson...
- 17:55 Are we really in the middle of a global sex recession?