British Gas scraps standard tariff for new customers
Energy giant British Gas will scrap its standard variable tariff (SVT) price category by April for new customers.
It comes after draft legislation designed to lower the cost of energy bills was published by the government.
The Draft Domestic Gas and Electricity (Tariffs Cap) Bill would give energy regulator Ofgem the power to cap SVTs.
Rival energy firm E.On has already said SVTs will no longer be the default option for customers coming to the end of their existing tariffs.
SVTs are usually among the most expensively priced tariffs.
'Comprehensive' Announcing the change, Ian Conn, chief... read more
- 23:15 Polish up your pecs: women prefer strong men, say scientists
- 04:36 Wolves digest: Patricio's message; Good times ahead; Nuno's only...
- 23:15 Archaeologists find earliest evidence of bread
- 04:36 West Bromwich Albion's 2018/19 plans are finally starting to take...
- 04:36 Birmingham City plan a re-think after transfer window setback
- 23:11 VMAs 2018: Cardi B, Beyoncé and Jay-Z lead nominees
- 04:36 Aston Villa's preparations continue but the off-field issues take...
- 23:09 May narrowly heads off defeat after caving in to Brexit hardliners
- 21:44 Trump's Nato approach helped make a difference, says May
- 21:44 Sending MPs on early holiday could make all the difference for May
- 04:35 £1.5m to mend potholes in Leeds is not enough, claims leader
- 21:44 Labour plans radical selection overhaul including all BAME shortlists
- 19:37 Rocket men: locals divided over plans for UK's first spaceport
- 19:36 'We're building a bridge' – the exhibition shining a light on...
- 19:36 Anna Soubry on Brexit: ‘History will condemn those who haven’t...
- 04:01 Trump-Putin summit: US president under fire over poll meddling...
- 03:56 Private tutors 'should face DBS criminal record checks'
- 03:56 Some slime toys have 'potentially unsafe levels' of boron - Which?
- 03:56 Millions to face hosepipe ban in north-west England
- 18:53 Trio of new Doctor Who companions unveiled
- 01:44 'How we made Now That's What I Call Music 100'
- 18:52 Is your paddling pool a cool oasis – or a giant puddle of infection?
- 01:44 Crane numbers 'could rise by 50%' in next 50 years
- 01:44 Kent and Medway NHS hernia policy 'may be rationing' surgery
- 18:52 Five things grownups should do before going online this summer
- 01:53 Wakefield’s £5.9m social care hubs are saving NHS resources and...
- 03:49 Horsefly bites 'could kill' warning as heatwave increases populations
- 03:49 Neighbourhood litter sweep in Northampton called off after...
- 01:44 Wakefield’s £5.9m social care hubs are saving NHS resources and...
- 01:42 Horrendous smell from River Freshney leaves residents feeling sick