British Gas 12.5% electricity price hike 'will hit those on poor value tariffs'
British Gas's move to hike electricity prices by 12.5% for 3.1 million customers will hit those already on poor-value energy tariffs, the Government has warned.
The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) raised concerns over the energy giant's price rise and called for "rapid progress" on regulator Ofgem's plans for reform.
British Gas said its electricity prices would go up on September 15 and would mean an average dual fuel bill for a typical annual household tariff will rise by £76 to £1,120 - a 7.3% increase.
The Centrica-owned group said it will give... read more
- 23:26 When is the lunar eclipse during July 2018 and is it a Blood Moon?
- 23:28 Nine US 'duck boat' victims from the same family - governor
- 23:28 Israel carries out Gaza strikes as soldier dies from gunshot
- 23:26 Severely distressed husky locked in car ‘for two hours’ collapses...
- 23:26 Two boys, 15, named after being jailed for plotting...
- 23:28 Trump 'secretly recorded discussing payment to Playboy model'
- 23:26 Cow headbutts man and breaks his jaw
- 10:57 Work starts on bridge damaged by Storm Desmond
- 23:26 Al Qaeda bomb-maker jailed for life after plotting knife attack...
- 23:26 Baby born in Chick-Fil-A restroom gets free nuggets for life
- 23:26 Does cooking kill listeria and what are the symptoms to look out for?
- 23:26 Circus act ‘hits clown’ after being blasted from cannon
- 23:26 Donald Trump’s lawyer secretly recorded president discussing...
- 23:26 ‘#ElonMuskDidNothingWrong’: Elon Musk’s ‘pedo guy’ Twitter outburst...
- 10:53 Forfar boss Jim Weir looking for players to build on display in...
- 10:53 Montrose boss Stewart Petrie maintaining mantra despite winning...
- 23:26 Derbyshire shopkeeper will keep selling Golliwogs because ‘they...
- 23:26 Amesbury Novichok victim Charlie Rowley released from hospital
- 10:53 Toulon was perfect preparation for new season, says Jason Kerr
- 23:26 Union tells government to declare rail ‘crisis’ as national emergency
- 10:53 East Fife need to turn chances into goals
- 23:26 ‘Pedophile said he “fell in love” with victim, 8, “the first time...
- 10:53 Cowdenbeath v Cove Rangers is not a grudge match, says Gary Bollan
- 23:26 Man jailed for exposing himself to women at a bus stop
- 10:53 Raith Rovers hoping to be on the right end of a cup shock
- 23:26 Woman-beater made victim’s toddler son stab her with steak knife
- 10:53 Dundee boss Neil McCann resigned to being without key midfielder...
- 10:53 Dundee’s Nathan Ralph relishing prospect of making home debut...
- 23:26 Fake football scout jailed for abusing boy, 12, in ‘rub-down’...
- 10:53 Dundee United boss Csaba Laszlo laments latest devastating injury...