Brazil’s coup is an assault on democracy
The suspension of democratically elected President Dilma Rousseff is a denial of the clear wishes of the Brazilian people, writes DIANE ABBOTT
THE recent coup against Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff is extraordinary and has received relatively little attention in the British media.
The startling fact is that, while more than 50 million Brazilians voted to re-elect Dilma Rousseff as their president in 2014, it took only 55 senators to take the decision to remove her.
So they have suspended her for 180 days in order to make her face an impeachment trial over accusations of budget... read more
- 08:06 Theresa May faces leadership challenge from Conservative MPs
- 08:04 Water supply problem leaves some Fylde residents with no water
- 08:03 CONFIRMED: Vote of no confidence in Prime Minister Theresa May has...
- 08:02 Community groups receive grants from East Lindsey councillors
- 08:00 Duffers’ Derby County Diaries: More at stake than just local pride...
- 08:00 Theresa May faces leadership contest TONIGHT as MPs trigger no...
- 07:59 Sheffield news LIVE: News, traffic and travel updates
- 07:58 Winter weather preparations
- 07:57 Prime Minister Theresa May to face vote of no confidence
- 07:56 Anthony Lester quits House of Lords, citing health toll of sexual...
- 07:56 Brexit in chaos as Tory MPs trigger vote of no confidence in May
- 07:56 Dries Mertens hints he wants Maurizio Sarri reunion at Chelsea
- 07:56 Missing Garstang man believed to be in Lancaster
- 07:54 Mo Salah 'unhappy' at Liverpool; Manchester United eye Brazilian;...
- 07:52 Theresa May to face leadership challenge
- 07:50 Undercover police in bid to catch pickpockets in Sheffield city centre
- 07:50 Facebook HQ evacuated following bomb scare
- 07:49 Dixons Carphone posts £440m loss in first half
- 07:47 Manchester United set to up efforts to sign Middlesbrough youngster
- 07:47 Wedding Cake Rock: new fence will stop visitors climbing 'unsafe'...
- 07:46 Theresa May to face no confidence vote as Tory leadership contest...
- 07:45 This is what will fill giant hole in Coventry's skyline
- 07:44 Superdry warns worse to come as profits plunge
- 07:44 Plea to ‘throw the book’ at yobs who target firefighters after...
- 07:43 Preparing for the worse as winter brings threat of Calderdale floods
- 07:42 Strasbourg shooting: France hunts gunman as alert level raised
- 07:41 Revealed: Google's 'two-tier' workforce training document
- 07:42 Undercover police in bid to catch pickpockets in Sheffield city centre
- 07:41 M&S appoints former Sainsbury's chief Justin King to board
- 07:41 Luxury Kensington complex will have just five affordable homes