Brainy bees learn how to pull strings to get food, and then teach the rest of their colony to do the same
As if the power of flight, navigating by the sun and finding the right flowers wasn't enough, bees have shown they are able to learn to pull strings.
Researchers have managed to teach bumblebees to pull strings to get to food and then pass on what they have learned to others in their colony.
The findings reveal the social insects have a high level of intelligence, despite their tiny brains.
The team at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) said the experiments, often used to test the intelligence of apes and birds, showed for the first time that some insects are up to the task, and can... read more
- 02:42 Coalition will move up income tax cuts if budget improves, Cormann...
- 02:31 How much have Burton Albion spent this summer compared to...
- 02:21 Why Sammy's guaranteed a slot in the history books
- 02:09 Billie Piper looks radiant in bardot patterned dress as she attends...
- 02:09 Rio Ferdinand 'sells' his family home with late wife for £3 million...
- 02:09 David Beckham's sister Joanne 'SPLITS' from her Big Brother star...
- 02:09 TOWIE's Lydia Bright wows in a strapless dress as she joins Chloe...
- 02:09 Victoria Beckham looks typically chic in a white blouse and...
- 02:09 Kendall Jenner slips into a bright yellow bikini as she lounges by...
- 02:09 Taylor Swift surprises fans with special guest Robbie Williams on...
- 02:09 Victoria Beckham will 'dress up as Posh Spice for Vogue...
- 02:08 Tomorrow's Cities: Can start-ups solve city issues?
- 02:07 Barcelona are already trying to convince N’Golo Kante to leave Chelsea
- 01:43 Living in a woodland wonderland: The rise of the tree house
- 01:38 5 Seconds of Summer on dating, lies and gun control
- 01:37 Newport church's prayer room survives devastating fire
- 01:37 'All women I know have had unwanted sexual attention', says Wood
- 01:30 Scottish fruit and vegetable growth strategy unveiled
- 01:30 Appeal decade after Adam Chadwick shot dead in Leeds
- 01:26 French jogger detained after crossing US-Canada border
- 01:24 Neve Te Aroha: New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern reveals name of baby...
- 01:01 We’re not bluffing about no-deal Brexit, says Fox
- 00:46 Observer killer sudoku
- 00:39 Child obesity plan targets sweets at checkouts
- 00:36 Early wickets were not enough to stop leaders
- 00:18 Matt Le Tissier: ‘VAR will make defenders be defenders, not wrestlers’
- 00:13 Manchester United ready to include Anthony Martial in bid to sign...
- 00:09 East Coast train line back under public control
- 00:04 Highland midwives hit the screens with second TV series
- 23:57 The best tech from Sonar 2018