Bowel cancer test which detects blood in faeces will cut numbers facing endoscopy
The test, which is being rolled out across the NHS looks for blood in the stool which experts say is an early symptom of bowel cancer.
Experts hope that if GPs use the faecal immunochemical test (FIT), the number of patients who can avoid an endoscopy could be cut by a third.
An endoscopy is the process by which a flexible tube with a light and camera is used to examine the digestive tract.
Studies have shown that between 60 per cent and 80 per cent of patients referred to hospital for endoscopy turn out not to have a serious bowel disease, including bowel cancer.
Dr Sjoerd Elias, from the... read more
- 08:50 Child airlifted to hospital with head injuries after cliff fall
- 08:49 Lord Inglewood named as new chairman of Cumbria LEP
- 08:48 As Federer and Djokovic lose, what’s the state of play for Wimbledon?
- 08:48 Amber Valley Soroptimists’ fashion fundraiser
- 08:48 Dog attacks 'major concern' for postal workers after 2,300...
- 08:48 Lancashire County Council u-turn after unions force cuts rethink
- 08:46 Dog attacks 'major concern' for postal workers after 2,300...
- 08:45 This is why there are no World Cup matches being played this Friday
- 08:45 Major survey of Solihull's roads for £2 million safety projects
- 08:44 Public help police to chase down wanted Doncaster man
- 08:44 Timber causing disruption for M62 users on morning commute in Leeds
- 08:44 Single first-time buyers need over a decade to raise a deposit -...
- 08:43 Man Utd transfer news: Mourinho ‘wants rid’ of midfielder to seal...
- 08:43 Public help police to chase down wanted Doncaster man
- 08:43 Timber causing disruption for M62 users on morning commute in Leeds
- 08:43 Sheffield among worst places in country for dog attacks on postal...
- 08:42 Lancashire County Council u-turn after unions force cuts rethink
- 08:42 Thunderstorm asthma deaths: only three victims had disease 'action...
- 08:40 Revealed: Wigan's 'nuisance neighbour' epidemic
- 08:39 Chelsea star Eden Hazard reportedly offered himself to Real Madrid...
- 08:39 Jet 2 slam 'appalling and disruptive' behaviour of stag party...
- 08:39 Woman 'calls police' on eight year old girl - for selling water on...
- 08:39 British tourist killed in 'deliberate hit-and-run' in Cyprus after...
- 08:39 Barcelona adds Segway ban to curbs on tourism
- 08:39 Timber causing disruption for M62 users on morning commute in Leeds
- 08:34 Summer concert to take place in Barrow
- 08:34 Football fan told to take down LGBT England flag in Russian stadium
- 08:32 Smoking skunk ‘causes one in six cases of psychosis in Britain’,...
- 08:31 LIVE: Monday’s Preston North End news - Latest transfer news and...
- 08:31 Harry Kane odds on to win BBC Sports Personality of the Year after...