Border wall GoFundMe organizers plan private build as donors offered refunds
The organizers of a GoFundMe campaign to fund the construction of a wall along the southern US border have scrapped plans to hand $20m over to the federal government and plan to build the wall privately instead.
“The federal government won’t be able to accept our donations anytime soon,” organizers said in a Friday update for the campaign which by Saturday afternoon had raised more than $20.3m from nearly 340,000 donors.
Saturday was day 22 of the government shutdown arising from Donald Trump’s demand for federal funds to build a wall, the longest such closure in US history with no end in... read more
- 05:25 The 'dog whistling' on immigration must stop, Bill Shorten says
- 05:22 ‘Fine, dry and mild’ in today’s weather- well, it’s about time
- 05:18 Indonesia election mired in claims of foreign hacking and 'ghost'...
- 05:18 'I was raised an American': Liberians await possible deportation...
- 05:18 Exit Brussels? The UK civil servants under a fog of uncertainty
- 05:16 ‘Fine, dry and mild’ in today’s weather- well, it’s about time
- 05:16 Capital’s Bruce Group eyes Central Belt pubs on back of £20m bond bid
- 05:02 KCOM call centre worker steals £16,000 and blows it on food and...
- 05:00 Nigel Farage will not be marching through Retford area as part of...
- 05:00 Used wet wipes and unwanted sofas - the bizarre rubbish dumped in...
- 05:00 Number of peeping toms and flashers reported to police on the rise
- 04:58 Newborn baby found in Oxford hospital toilets
- 04:56 Tragic Glasgow dad hit headlines as football mobile phone thief...
- 04:56 Community sickened by horrific slashing of vulnerable Scot in...
- 04:52 Christchurch shootings: Ardern vows never to say suspect's name
- 04:50 A celebration of Scotland's Munros and the man who listed them
- 04:50 NHS infection and safety inquiry begins at Holyrood
- 04:50 Emiliano Sala plane crash: Call to investigate more flights
- 04:50 Syrian refugees in Aberystwyth set up pop-up restaurants
- 04:41 The 24 roads where speed limits are changing in Leicestershire
- 04:41 Should drink drivers be 'named and shamed' by police?
- 04:26 Christchurch shooting: Australia PM calls for social media crackdown
- 04:26 Students at university who are inspiring younger siblings
- 04:17 'I don't agree' Dean Smith's response to player's claim and key...
- 04:17 Birmingham City await crucial development as midfielder sends...
- 04:17 Europa League questions answered as Wolves loanee produces late...
- 04:17 West Brom to end manager hunt as popular midfielder opens up on...
- 04:13 Labor signals it won't use Kyoto credits in final emissions policy
- 04:13 'Broke up with sleep': Cory Booker exposed as addicted to coffee jokes
- 04:02 Smack The Pony: Amanda Holden was first choice for show