Black Death latest: Malawi on alert as Madagascar’s plague outbreak threatens to SPREAD
Almost 2,000 cases have been reported since the Madagascan outbreak began in early August, with 143 deaths confirmed in what has become the “worst outbreak in 50 years”.
Of the 1,947 cases, 1,437 were classified as pneumonic plague, 295 were bubonic plague, one was septicemic, and 211 have not yet been classified.
Officials say the number of reported pneumonic cases in Madagascar is slowly declining - although more cases of plague are expected as the country enters peak epidemic season, which is due to last until April.
Now, Malawi’s health secretary has confirmed the country is ready for... read more
- 17:17 Here's why super-fast internet could reach 'nearly every building...
- 17:17 EU wants 'full picture' on Amazon data use
- 17:15 Champion of Cockermouth celebrated at her funeral
- 17:15 Hindley pub murder investigation: Man arrested after turning...
- 17:14 Family of murdered schoolgirl, 10, launch campaign to keep killer...
- 17:14 PICTURES: Wakefield welcomes the Rifles Regiment with pride
- 17:12 Boss Austin demands Cobblers players ‘fight for the badge’ on the...
- 17:12 Police release CCTV images after burglars steal jewellery from home
- 17:12 High winds cause fire to spread at farm in South Croxton
- 17:11 Foreign Office warns dual nationals not to go to Iran
- 17:11 Ingoldmells head teacher who has become ‘a legend’ celebrates 100th...
- 17:09 DNA spray to help tag offenders to their crimes in police trial
- 17:09 Crack addict handbag thief seen acting weird behind a tree wrestles...
- 17:09 Harsh winter cost Solihull half-a-million pounds, figures reveal
- 17:08 Calderdale extends response deadline for draft Local Plan to noon...
- 17:07 What we know so far about the tragic death at Russells Circus
- 17:07 Fallen trees brought down by Storm Ali's strong winds cause traffic...
- 17:06 Mustafa Badreddine Street sparks outrage in Lebanon
- 17:06 Faces of SIX men in pub car park brawl where starter pistol was fired
- 17:06 Cockermouth Round Table to hold fundraising duck race
- 17:06 Planners take crunch vote on Workington Travelodge project
- 17:05 Internet ‘double edged sword’ for mental health says Hartlepool...
- 17:04 Theresa May told Brexit plans must be ‘reworked’ as time runs out
- 17:02 CSIC partners with SFHA to innovative social housing sector
- 17:02 Drugged-up driver who killed grandad blamed crash victim's son
- 17:02 Transgender student, 20, dies after overdosing on caffeine tablets
- 17:01 Concerns raised as workmen leave large hole on Dearham estate road
- 17:01 Dog owners and pets invited on countryside walk in aid of Dogs for...
- 17:01 Report into rail timetable chaos set to claim ‘no leadership’ in...
- 17:00 Denise Mueller-Korenek: Cycling world land speed record broken