Bias in Britain: what can employers, the government and you do about it?
All this week, the Guardian’s Bias in Britain series has reported on the effects of unconscious bias in many different spheres of life, and the inequality that results from it. But after identifying it, what happens next? As the Guardian’s leader observed: “It is the norms that need changing, so that they prohibit rather than permit biased behaviour. This means taking a long, hard look at ourselves as a nation to see how we end up discriminating when we don’t mean to.”
Here are some examples of actions that could be taken on an individual, organisational and policymaking level to combat... read more
- 02:23 US federal judge rules Obama healthcare law unconstitutional
- 02:19 The drug gang brother and sister on the run after walking out of court
- 02:17 Conor McGregor attempts 540-degree spin kick – fans stunned as UFC...
- 02:14 Nissan Brexit letter ‘still too confidential to release’
- 01:47 Universal credit claimants fear spending Christmas without money
- 01:43 Yemen war: Can ceasefire deal finally bring peace?
- 01:42 Miss USA apologizes for mocking rivals' English-speaking skills
- 01:34 Strictly Come Dancing finalists discuss their ups, downs and future...
- 01:34 Do autistic people 'get' jokes?
- 01:28 Jo Miller: The price local councils like mine are paying on the...
- 01:28 Justine Greening: Time for honesty – I backed Theresa May in...
- 01:00 DR Congo elections: Why do voters mistrust electronic voting?
- 00:59 Make it a time for giving to Scottish charities this Christmas
- 00:49 The Yorkshire Post says: Finals weekend as BBC viewers cast their...
- 00:49 The Yorkshire Post says: Schools are the first line of policing
- 00:49 The Yorkshire Post says: Now Theresa May is back to square one on...
- 00:49 David Behrens: Seeds of Tories’ self-destruction were planted by...
- 00:49 Poor transport and bad traffic stymies region, admits Government...
- 00:44 Killer sudoku 636
- 00:44 Sudoku 4,244 hard
- 00:37 UN urged to seek Australia-based Hakeem al-Araibi's freedom from...
- 00:37 'Extinction is not an option': the $1bn push to save orcas in...
- 00:29 Newcastle man charged with planning act of terror
- 00:28 Suggestions sought for time capsule project
- 00:28 Petition over palm tree demand
- 00:25 North Korea's high-tech pursuits: Propaganda or progress?
- 00:20 How Putin's Russia turned humour into a weapon
- 00:20 Nigerian military lifts Unicef ban after 'spy' row
- 00:18 Talking Horses: Frodon can bag Gold Cup prize on big day at Cheltenham
- 00:13 'The infamous Celtic Park': Austrian press react to Red Bull...