Bias in Britain: what can employers, the government and you do about it?
All this week, the Guardian’s Bias in Britain series has reported on the effects of unconscious bias in many different spheres of life, and the inequality that results from it. But after identifying it, what happens next? As the Guardian’s leader observed: “It is the norms that need changing, so that they prohibit rather than permit biased behaviour. This means taking a long, hard look at ourselves as a nation to see how we end up discriminating when we don’t mean to.”
Here are some examples of actions that could be taken on an individual, organisational and policymaking level to combat... read more
- 01:28 Tesco begins plastic-free trial for selection of fruit and veg
- 01:19 Tim Farron: One last chance for Chris Grayling to prove himself as...
- 01:19 Jayne Dowle: Why jobs statistics tell only part of the overall...
- 01:19 Lee Rowley: How my proposed law will limit the ability of fracking...
- 01:19 The Yorkshire Post says: Home truths on housing policy as green...
- 01:11 Dead rats used to smuggle drugs and mobile phones into prison
- 01:04 Knife crime: Tony Blair says police losing knife crime battle
- 00:59 Sudoku 4,328 easy
- 00:58 Prince Charles and Camilla make history in Cuba
- 00:52 Gangs using dead rats to smuggle drugs into Dorset prison
- 00:41 UK's big broadband providers give 'shoddy' service – report
- 00:25 The vision that signalled the end of old New Street
- 00:24 Devolved and UK ministers’ mistrust spans decades and parties,...
- 00:20 'Muslims don't date, we marry'
- 00:20 Invoice scams hit 40% of firms, says report
- 00:20 Ex-Autonomy boss Mike Lynch denies new US charges
- 00:20 First and second class stamp prices rise
- 00:12 Fife worker registrations down by a third as SNP warn of...
- 00:10 Smacking children to be banned in Wales
- 23:59 'Nervous' David Warner clubs 85 on IPL return to give Australian...
- 23:54 Woman and child injured in suspected shooting in London
- 23:53 Jose Mourinho predicts the two teams who will contest the Champions...
- 23:53 Rio Ferdinand wants Reiss Nelson and Phil Foden in England squad next
- 23:53 Ronnie O’Sullivan makes Snooker World Championship prediction after...
- 23:21 Andreas Christensen claims Chelsea will serve transfer ban and has...
- 23:16 Figges Marsh 'shooting': Woman and child, 11, among injured
- 23:02 Hunt for Gatwick drone saw police blow £400,000 on bungled...
- 23:02 Theresa May offers ‘no-concessions’ at crucial Chequers crunch-talks
- 23:02 UK-based tapir has become oldest in the world
- 22:59 England ready to deal with fiery atmosphere in Montenegro