Belgium sexism law: Man who insulted officer first to be convicted
A man who insulted a female police officer because of her gender has become the first person to be convicted of sexism in a public space in Belgium.
The man, who has not been named, was stopped in June 2016 for violating the highway code and told the officer that her job did not suit women.
A court in Brussels fined him €3,000 (£2,690; $3,725). He can still appeal.
The law was introduced in 2014 after an outcry over a documentary showing the abuse women faced on the streets.
It condemns any act or statement meant to "express contempt", that considers a person inferior due to their... read more
- 01:35 David Attenborough says BBC should prioritise arts
- 01:25 US man, 74, found alive days after fire in Washington DC
- 01:22 Labour threat to vote against Theresa May's Brexit plan
- 01:20 Paul Gascoigne's nephew self-medicated with internet drugs, mother...
- 01:16 Two staff at Market Rasen school resign after 'romp on...
- 01:14 Natalie Bennett: Appetite for a democratic revolution
- 01:14 Andrew Vine: Labour MPs can’t keep on dodging questions about...
- 01:11 Fatal plane crash: Queensland pilot may have lost control due to...
- 01:11 Elderly man found alive inside building five days after it burned down
- 01:00 Domestic abuse victims 'failed' by private probation service
- 00:59 Raptor crime report sparks fresh calls for grouse moor licensing
- 00:56 Letter from Africa: Why I was sentenced to 5,000 years in jail
- 00:56 Reality Check: The worst place to be stranded at sea?
- 00:50 Why an authentic taste of India is going down so well for Gokul...
- 00:47 Labour wants green energy to power most UK homes by 2030
- 00:46 Lincolnshire’s Chief Constable warns of ‘stark choices’ ahead if...
- 00:45 Labour peer Charles Falconer apologises over war on drugs
- 00:44 Sudoku 4,174 medium
- 00:41 Dellen Millard killed father as he slept and inherited millions
- 00:32 The Yorkshire Post says: TV at its very best. The 60th anniversary...
- 00:32 The Yorkshire Post says: Rural indifference. Main parties neglect...
- 00:32 The Yorkshire Post says: The three-way Brexit battle. Deep...
- 00:27 Lincolnshire’s Chief Constable warns of ‘stark choices’ ahead if...
- 00:27 Jenna lowers her tone to keep up royal ‘addiction’
- 00:26 Lincolnshire’s Chief Constable warns of ‘stark choices’ ahead if...
- 00:24 'I'm not going anywhere': Kavanaugh defends himself on Fox News
- 00:16 Jenna lowers her tone to keep up royal ‘addiction’
- 00:14 Lewis Crocker: Protestant boxer's payout over discrimination claim
- 00:13 Debenhams attempts to 'bring joy back' to High Street
- 00:11 Liverpool fans hail Xherdan Shaqiri ‘signing of the year’ as...