Barry Band: St Annes’ Ashton Theatre and the lady who could carry an entire production”
A couple of theatre programmes came my way and revived memories of those big star plays that appeared at the Ashton Theatre, St Annes, in the 1970s.
The Ashton’s starry years ended when it was destroyed by fire in September 1977, but the Ashton Theatregoers Society is still going strong, with members enjoying trips to shows across the north west.
The theatre programmes in question are for the summer of 1971, and what an amazing line-up of plays and players the Ashton had. I’ll scatter a few names.
There were two visits by Peggy Mount in her role of the dynamic Emma Hornet in Sailor Beware.... read more
- 07:27 Pipe firm’s mega Malta contract after Barclays funding
- 07:27 What is the weather expected to be like in South Shields today?
- 07:26 JPIMedia Brexit reporter is here to help
- 07:25 Brexit weekly briefing: we now officially have two revolting parties
- 07:25 These are Harrogate District's 29 most high risk flooding hotspots
- 07:24 Chelsea fans will be ‘ripping their hair out’ - pundits BLAST Sarri...
- 07:24 Female teachers are ‘breaking the glass ceiling to find a...
- 07:24 Liverpool vs Bayern Munich: Sky Sports pundit makes Roberto Firmino...
- 07:23 Eleven held on suspicion of murder after stabbing in central London
- 07:22 Business lender opens Sheffield office due to ‘dynamic economy’
- 07:21 What is the weather expected to be like in Sunderland today?
- 07:21 The “Finn Watch” begins as star stand-off reports for Scotland...
- 07:21 HSBC profits hit by China slowdown
- 07:19 How to clean your vulva and vagina after Nunu on The Sex Clinic is...
- 07:18 Saints full-back Furbank has impressed Boyd since the start
- 07:16 Anarchy will continue to reign
- 07:16 Police release image of man following alleged rape incident
- 07:15 JPIMedia Brexit reporter is here to help
- 07:15 Police release image of man following alleged rape incident
- 07:13 JPIMedia Brexit reporter is here to help
- 07:12 JPIMedia Brexit reporter is here to help
- 07:12 Collision closes the A46 northbound in Nottinghamshire
- 07:11 Leeds news LIVE: M1 and M62 traffic updates | Weather forecast |...
- 07:11 RAC repair service broke down over an ‘easy to fix’ problem
- 07:11 Michael Gove vows to uphold food standards after Brexit
- 07:11 JPIMedia Brexit reporter is here to help
- 07:11 Josh Hawkes discusses Craig Hignett’s influence, penalty pressure...
- 07:10 Hull Live: Breaking news, traffic and travel from Hull and East...
- 07:10 Police search mounted for missing Doncaster man
- 07:09 SeaWorld rescue: People trapped on ride in San Diego