Ayodhya dispute: Indian Supreme Court due to rule on holy site
India's Supreme Court is due to make a long-awaited ruling on a disputed religious site in the northern holy city of Ayodhya.
Officials have appealed for calm and thousands of police and paramilitary troops have been deployed in the city, in Uttar Pradesh state.
Hundreds of people were detained on Friday amid fears of violence.
Hindus and Muslims have for decades been bitterly divided over the 16th Century Babri Masjid mosque in Ayodhya.
The court case centres on the ownership of the land and has been dragging on in the Supreme Court for years.
Hindus believe that the site of the mosque is... read more
- 01:19 Hong Kong: protesters wary over elite troops clearing roadblocks
- 01:15 Birmingham revenge porn victim had strangers arrive at home
- 01:12 General election 2019: Lib Dems and SNP in court over TV debate...
- 01:07 Ever tried revenge honey? It tastes good
- 01:07 Letter from Africa: The great train safari from Tanzania to Zambia
- 01:07 The fight to get citizenship for descendants of German Jews
- 01:00 John Lewis to open new store concept
- 00:41 Huge Flow Country wildfire 'doubled Scotland's emissions'
- 00:41 Woman issues warning after being 'scammed' out of £1,300 by PayPal...
- 00:37 Should we be worried by ever more CCTV cameras?
- 00:37 Dubai Air Show: The man putting a jolt into electric air racing
- 00:37 Are our financial lives controlled by biased algorithms?
- 00:32 Paul Keating lambasts Australia's security agencies and 'pious'...
- 00:32 Bangladesh flies in planeloads of onions amid national outcry over...
- 00:28 GCSEs: Qualifications Wales urges exams to be kept in reforms
- 00:21 NSW and Qld bushfires: boys arrested after fire allegedly lit amid...
- 00:21 Welsh bill would allow 16- and 17-year olds to vote in local elections
- 00:18 Stressed Whitehall staff at ‘breaking point’ over Brexit
- 00:18 Tory donor Alexander Temerko calls for Russia report to be published
- 00:18 Government ‘exploits migrants for profit’ by outsourcing visa...
- 00:17 Humberside Police officers now have highest morale in country in...
- 00:12 Sudoku 4,612 easy
- 00:02 Petrified man attacked and bundled into van during feud with neighbour
- 23:52 39 migrants detained after four boats stopped near Dover
- 23:45 Solskjaer handed boost as Man Utd defender Diogo Dalot posts injury...
- 23:45 Arsenal legend Lee Dixon explains main reason Liverpool are so far...
- 23:45 Matthew Upson reveals the two mistakes Unai Emery made after...
- 23:45 Michy Batshuayi speaks out on his Chelsea future after lack of...
- 23:34 Boris Johnson to pledge tax cuts for business in bid to ease Brexit...
- 23:32 Israel Folau says bushfires and drought are God's punishment for...