Australian Open: Novak Djokovic powers past Albert Ramos-Vinolas despite injury worries
Djokovic’s lower back trouble added to concerns about his problem elbow.
After holding serve to lead 2-1 in the second set, the 14th seed took a medical time-out and lay down as a trainer worked on his lower back.
The injury did little to restrict the six-times champion Serb as he returned to break the 21st seed in the next game before rolling on to a fuss-free victory in two hours and 21 minutes.
Djokovic will face South Korea’s young gun Chung Hyeon in a battle for a place in the quarter-finals.
Roger Federer eased into the second week of the Australian Open with a 6-2 7-5 6-4 win over... read more
- 08:35 Man jailed for life after attacking pensioner with a hammer outside...
- 08:35 No need to panic as results day looms
- 08:33 Car fire reported in Warwick
- 08:33 GP closures in Wales force 50,000 to find new doctors
- 08:33 Holyrood committee calls for a ban on mesh implants
- 08:33 Health fear over rise in teens using protein supplements
- 08:32 Lancashire Police's warning to iTunes and Steam gift card customers...
- 08:32 Car fire reported in Warwick
- 08:31 Woman dragged into water and killed by 8ft alligator while trying...
- 08:31 Scuba diver filmed riding on the back of an endangered whale
- 08:31 Hartlepool midfielder reveals how squad will use midweek break and...
- 08:30 Investors betting against Tesla made $1.09bn since Elon Musk's tweet
- 08:30 Kerala: more than 1m people flee to relief camps to escape floods
- 08:30 Cobblers defender Buchanan declares ‘we are going to have a good...
- 08:30 Gary Neville rips into Sam Allardyce over his criticism of Arsenal...
- 08:29 Persimmon delivers 13 per cent rise in half year profits
- 08:29 Lancashire Police's warning to iTunes and Steam gift card customers...
- 08:29 Ashfield MP demands action on vast pay gulfs between top chief...
- 08:29 Council settles sex discrimination case for £25,000
- 08:29 Skegness lifeboat tows vessel with 13 passengers to safety
- 08:29 Live: M6 northbound closed in Cheshire after serious collision
- 08:29 Council to launch next phase of borough development plan
- 08:26 Mohamed Salah dive row as Liverpool beat Palace
- 08:26 Ashfield MP demands action on vast pay gulfs between top chief...
- 08:25 Crashed car tragedy helps to deliver road safety campaign in Leyland
- 08:23 David Mundell urges warring Tory factions to unite around Brexit plan
- 08:23 Nicola Sturgeon: All political leaders ‘should read fiction’
- 08:22 Bamber Bridge restaurant to make a comeback - but councillors to...
- 08:22 Lancashire Police's warning to iTunes and Steam gift card customers...
- 08:22 Persimmon delivers 13 per cent rise in half year profits