Australia could launch legal challenge to Japan's 'scientific' whaling hunts
The environment minister, Melissa Price, has not ruled out taking legal action to challenge Japan’s so-called “scientific” whaling hunts.
An international law expert says prospects for a legal case against Japan’s whaling program, which is carried out under an International Whaling Commission clause that allows for scientific whaling, have strengthened after the recent IWC meeting in Brazil, and would get even stronger if Japan followed through on its threat to leave the commission.
However, the minster has rejected calls from conservationists and the Greens to send a customs ship to... read more
- 02:22 Universal credit: Should the benefit be paid monthly or weekly?
- 02:22 The paedophile hunter turned prey
- 02:22 Why more young people are using Crimestoppers
- 02:21 England's Nathan Hughes suspended for six weeks after 'what a joke'...
- 02:08 Baby box safety doubts raised by experts
- 02:08 How Curious Incident director made a gender swap hit
- 02:08 Making a Murderer 2: 'It's the journey of the convicted'
- 02:07 'Brextra time': what the papers say about PM's Brexit cameo
- 02:03 BREAKING NEWS: Legendary RSC voice coach Cicely Berry dies
- 01:52 Parents’ obituary for drug addict daughter goes viral
- 01:47 Viktoria Marinova: Suspect in journalist murder extradited
- 01:37 Australia's spy agency warned government Israel embassy move could...
- 01:24 Banksy video shows plan to shred entire Girl With Balloon artwork
- 01:22 Scottish economy resilient but orderly Brexit ‘essential’
- 01:22 UK firms face 65,000 cyber attacks a day
- 00:59 Man rushed to hospital after late night shooting in Wavertree
- 00:55 Women Sport Australia calls for more respect for female stars
- 00:54 Man 'beaten to death' in south-west London
- 00:50 £50,000 reward to help catch killer of mutilated prostitute
- 00:48 Cannabis in Canada: How it went down on Legalisation Day
- 00:42 Food allergies: What a severe reaction feels like
- 00:39 Cypriot budget airline Cobalt has suspended operations
- 00:38 Cobalt airline warns passengers that all flights are cancelled
- 00:35 Wembley sale OFF: Shahid Khan reveals why he pulled the plug on...
- 00:35 Man Utd news: Juan Mata speaks out on tough run of games and facing...
- 00:31 HISTORY BEHIND ‘CHEAP AND CHEERFUL’ PUBS
- 00:31 Gregor Townsend surprises with Sam Skinner but sticks with the plan
- 00:30 Two-thirds of rural Scots back onshore wind farms, says Survation poll
- 00:25 COURT ROUND-UP: Latest convictions from Doncaster, Sheffield and...
- 00:25 Highway Code to promote 'Dutch reach' to protect cyclists