Aspirin a day ‘risky in old age’ finds major study
An aspirin a day may not keep the doctor away, new research suggests.
A low daily dose of the blood-thinning medicine has limited health benefits for older people hoping to prolong good health, a study involving more than 19,000 participants found.
Aspirin did not significantly reduce the risk of a heart attack, stroke, or extend life free of disability or dementia among healthy adults over the age of 70, a comprehensive study found.
However the medicine was linked with an increased risk of serious bleeding, in line with previous findings.
Lead researcher Professor John McNeil, of Monash... read more
- 11:14 Santi Cazorla reveals what Unai Emery wanted to know about Arsene...
- 11:13 The crime matters column with Supt Paula Booth
- 11:13 Car on roof outside Melton railway station after two-car crash
- 11:12 Classic 60s film at Louth cinema
- 11:11 Corbyn would back Labour membership call for second referendum
- 11:11 Man, 24, arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after double...
- 11:10 Ryan Inniss: Dundee players need to show more fight
- 11:09 Man, 24, arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after double...
- 11:08 Here's why the Prom is shut to traffic today
- 11:07 Darren Gough: Return of Tiger Woods only adds to lure of Ryder Cup
- 11:06 The crime matters column with Supt Paula Booth
- 11:05 Retired florist finds marriage proposal note from 1780, hidden in a...
- 11:03 Chas and Dave star Chas Hodges dies aged 74
- 11:02 Danniella Westbrook reveals cancer diagnosis ordeal
- 10:58 Robert Peston's 'guilt' at finding love after wife's death
- 10:58 A quiet night for Manby & Grimoldby WI
- 10:56 30 terrified dogs with matted fur and injuries rescued from house -...
- 10:56 Karen Clifton reveals the reason for her marriage breakdown with Kevin
- 10:54 Dad-of-one in intensive care after Hillsborough stabbing, says...
- 10:54 Woman robbed of her clothes in terrifying assault in Boston
- 10:52 Six sensational Thai restaurants in Warwick and Leamington
- 10:52 Crime chief says there's 'near to zero' chance of him re-running...
- 10:52 The amount of profit Jaguar Land Rover makes each second
- 10:52 Emergency services taking part in multi-agency training exercise
- 10:52 Fiat 500 review: New version of Car Share star will put a smile on...
- 10:50 Katie Hopkins to speak at far-right rally with Holocaust denier
- 10:50 Preston Grasshoppers 31, Sedgley Park Tigers 36
- 10:45 'We're having a look at many players' Darren Moore on Bakary Sako...
- 10:45 Explained: Why Wolves will continue shock the Premier League's...
- 10:43 Girl, 12, clings to sister’s hand in heartbreaking final photo...