Aspirin a day ‘risky in old age’ finds major study
An aspirin a day may not keep the doctor away, new research suggests.
A low daily dose of the blood-thinning medicine has limited health benefits for older people hoping to prolong good health, a study involving more than 19,000 participants found.
Aspirin did not significantly reduce the risk of a heart attack, stroke, or extend life free of disability or dementia among healthy adults over the age of 70, a comprehensive study found.
However the medicine was linked with an increased risk of serious bleeding, in line with previous findings.
Lead researcher Professor John McNeil, of Monash... read more
- 08:37 Are Aston Villa, Birmingham City, Wolves and West Brom getting...
- 08:35 Champions League: Mourinho ‘mad’ at another miserable Man Utd display
- 08:34 Man, 69, dies in A9 collision between car and van in the Highlands
- 08:34 PDC Darts World Championship 2019 Preview: The favourites,...
- 08:34 What happens now Theresa May has survived confidence vote?
- 08:33 Funk maestro Craig Charles hits the Empire
- 08:33 Revealed: The "frustrating" long wait to see a GP in Coventry
- 08:33 The Coventry Building Society is hiring for these jobs right now
- 08:33 Coventry traffic news: Ring road, M6, A46, A45, M69 and more
- 08:32 Jewellery stolen in burglary in Irby-in-the-Marsh
- 08:32 Council pride at county’s excellent Ofsted report
- 08:32 Drivers face EIGHT miles of queues after accident on the M62 near...
- 08:32 Cruise and hotel bookings boost Tui profits for third year
- 08:31 11 Sunderland shops we’ve loved and lost
- 08:31 Inside Holly Willoughby's £19k flight home from I'm A Celeb in...
- 08:30 Parents can get Elf on the Shelf 'trapped' in their TV - here's how
- 08:30 The RSV virus sweeping babies parents urgently need to know about
- 08:30 Former mayor looks back on the past 20 years as she plans to step down
- 08:27 Vital help in Skegness for the over 50s
- 08:27 From cruelty-free Wagyu beef to Louis Hamilton: A week in vegan news
- 08:26 Hartlepool has had the biggest fall in life expectancy in the UK
- 08:26 Your weather forecast for Thursday
- 08:25 Row over plan to open up city's top grammar schools to more inner...
- 08:24 Council pride at county’s excellent Ofsted report
- 08:23 NRL player Jack de Belin charged over alleged sexual assault
- 08:22 Man Utd news: Antonio Valencia angers fans by doing THIS after...
- 08:21 Premier League Live: Do Real Madrid want Spurs boss Mauricio...
- 08:20 Drivers face EIGHT miles of queues after accident on the M62 near...
- 08:19 Mrs Lovett is one to watch in Warwick’s big race
- 08:18 Bury's most wanted — December 13, 2018