ASK THE DOCTOR: Is it safe for me to fly after getting deep vein thrombosis on a plane five months ago?
I got a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) after flying home from a holiday in February. I was put on Xarelto 15mg twice a day for three weeks, then 20mg once a day for three months.
The affected leg is still very swollen and walking is painful. When will it go back to normal? How long will I have to wait before I can fly? And could it happen again? I am 79.
Mrs M. Cooper, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.
Swelling of the leg following a DVT can persist for many months, even a year or more, but be reassured — it is not a sign of anything sinister.
Crucially, you were protected by medication for three... read more
- 05:01 Grant will help support The Crossing in Worksop
- 04:56 Modulr taps into Edinburgh fintech scene with new office
- 04:55 Venezuela's migration crisis: Is enough being done?
- 04:36 North Korea agrees to shut down missile test sites at key summit
- 04:25 House hit 4 times in 2 years not covered by new speed cameras in...
- 04:25 Why one of Leicester city centre's dingiest alleyways will be...
- 04:16 North and South Korea: Kim and Moon hail new future
- 03:50 Mental health is Australians' most common ailment, GPs report
- 03:50 Denis Norden, TV presenter and comedy writer, dies aged 96
- 03:47 Man killed in north London street stabbing
- 03:23 Obituary: Denis Norden
- 03:21 TV host Denis Norden dies aged 96
- 03:05 Three taken to hospital after suspected chemical leak at Sydney hotel
- 02:53 Are wasps the bees knees? Scientists think they should be
- 02:53 How music saved a failing school
- 02:53 EU migration: How has it changed the UK?
- 02:53 'Killing a generation': one million more children at risk from...
- 02:47 Mercury Prize 2018: Nominees reveal the last thing they changed on...
- 02:35 California surgeon and 'girlfriend' charged with drug rapes
- 02:35 Google's prototype Chinese search engine links searches to phone...
- 02:06 'Ashamed': South Koreans chilled by Kim Jong-un's cuddles
- 02:00 PM to announce £2bn for social housing
- 01:59 Kavanaugh accuser wants an FBI investigation before she testifies
- 01:44 Wiltshire Police confirm no nerve agent exposure for Salisbury diners
- 01:29 'Sexist, unsafe' world experienced by young girls
- 01:27 Bernard Ingham: Toil and trouble as parties descend into a total mess
- 01:27 The Yorkshire Post says: HS2 and its tests. High-speed line of...
- 01:27 Mark Burns-Williamson: Police need the resources to do their job
- 01:27 Mike Regnier: How Yorkshire Building Society learned the lessons of...
- 01:25 Christine Blasey Ford: Kavanaugh accuser 'faces death threats'