Are wasps the bees knees? Scientists think they should be
A new study reveals that wasps are largely disliked by the public, whereas bees are highly appreciated.
The researchers involved say that this view is unfair because wasps are just as ecologically useful as bees.
The scientists suggest a public relations campaign to restore the wasps' battered image.
They'd like to see the same efforts made to conserve them as there currently are with bees.
The survey of 750 people from 46 countries has been published in Ecological Entomology.
Despised by picnickers, feared for their painful stings - wasps are among the least loved of insects according to... read more
- 00:59 Man rushed to hospital after late night shooting in Wavertree
- 00:55 Women Sport Australia calls for more respect for female stars
- 00:54 Man 'beaten to death' in south-west London
- 00:50 £50,000 reward to help catch killer of mutilated prostitute
- 00:48 Cannabis in Canada: How it went down on Legalisation Day
- 00:42 Food allergies: What a severe reaction feels like
- 00:39 Cypriot budget airline Cobalt has suspended operations
- 00:38 Cobalt airline warns passengers that all flights are cancelled
- 00:35 Wembley sale OFF: Shahid Khan reveals why he pulled the plug on...
- 00:35 Man Utd news: Juan Mata speaks out on tough run of games and facing...
- 00:31 HISTORY BEHIND ‘CHEAP AND CHEERFUL’ PUBS
- 00:31 Gregor Townsend surprises with Sam Skinner but sticks with the plan
- 00:30 Two-thirds of rural Scots back onshore wind farms, says Survation poll
- 00:25 COURT ROUND-UP: Latest convictions from Doncaster, Sheffield and...
- 00:25 Highway Code to promote 'Dutch reach' to protect cyclists
- 00:23 John Lewis trials £10,000 experience to lure in shoppers
- 00:23 Firms defy pressure over Saudi conference
- 00:18 Would you splash out on a new phone to get VR on the go?
- 00:17 Man City injury news: Kevin de Bruyne set for Premier League START...
- 00:17 Man Utd news: Jose Mourinho handed big Juventus boost with Paolo...
- 00:11 Central African Republic: 'Why a grenade couldn't stop our music'
- 00:11 Venezuelans escape to Spain and ask to return old favour
- 00:10 When's a van a van and when's it a car?
- 00:00 Gerard Pique speaks out on Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Rafael...
- 23:53 Reiss Nelson reveals Jadon Sancho convinced him to join Hoffenheim...
- 23:52 Man falls from top floor of Westfield Stratford on to another shopper
- 23:44 Jayme Closs: Hunt for 13-year-old after parents murdered
- 23:44 US shies away from calling China a currency manipulator
- 23:38 White woman calls police on black father cheering on his son...
- 23:31 Fugitive who said cops will find Madeleine McCann before him plans...