Are anti-ageing stem cell jabs really safe? Despite concerns, the beauty industry is using them more - with sometimes hair-raising consequences
Stem cells hold amazing promise as a medical treatment. They are ‘precursor’ cells that can turn into all cells of the human immune and blood systems.
Researchers hope that stem cells will in future be able to help cure diseases such as diabetes.
But stem cells also carry the threat of being dangerous when injected as ‘therapies’, as they may run out of control and turn themselves into rogue cells, even cancerous ones.
This is why scientists working in accredited UK medical-research institutions are governed by strict guidelines set out by the Human Tissue Authority (HTA), to ensure that... read more
- 15:24 Plan to build new health centre on site of former care home in...
- 10:27 Freemason grant gives big boost to carer group
- 15:24 Leeds Festival to offer emergency contraception to attendees
- 10:27 EasyJet to sue over French air strikes
- 06:13 Martyn McLaughlin: Media must cover Trump with purpose and aggression
- 15:24 Stratford crowned Wildmoor League champions for 16th year in a row
- 15:24 Brace yourself motorists! Major delays predicted on roads during...
- 10:27 Hull man Barry Lyons beat, kicked and threw his dogs outside -...
- 15:24 £19m investment boost for Morecambe Bay hospitals
- 15:24 Leeds Festival to offer free emergency contraception to attendees
- 15:24 Fall in house prices in Nottinghamshire
- 15:24 Fire on train travelling to Chesterfield causes massive delays
- 17:17 Saints farewell interview: Rob Horne
- 15:24 Leicester man dies after car and taxi crash that closed London Road...
- 15:24 Speed limits around roadworks on motorways set to increase
- 10:27 The poisonous plants that could harm your children - and the...
- 10:27 University of Cumbria summer graduation: Can you spot yourself in...
- 15:24 Desperate thief had no money
- 07:28 Arsenal transfer news: Unai Emery contacts Steven Nzonzi as...
- 10:27 Elland doctor's surgery put up for sale after closure
- 17:17 This is why Yorkshire does not currently have a hosepipe ban
- 10:27 Centre Stage final to decide pick of bands
- 15:24 Exhibition to mark 50th anniversary of Royal Regiment of Fusiliers
- 15:24 Man found with indecent images of children is told 'treatment is...
- 10:27 Families facing 'postcode lottery' with holiday childcare costs
- 10:27 'Parbold pong' is getting worse
- 15:24 Harrogate Town FC partners with private hospital to protect...
- 15:24 Quiz: Which Love Island contestant are you?
- 10:27 Special Tramlines fundraiser in memory of Sheffield dad who died...
- 15:24 Lincolnshire Adidas, Nike, Hugo Boss counterfeiters sentenced after...