News archive from 19 February 2011
Gloucester last night cemented their place in the top four after registering their 15th straight Premiership win at Kingsholm. They were never worried and only rarely hurried by a London Irish side who look increasingly low on confidence. It seems as...
Carlo Ancelotti has expressed uncertainty over his future at Chelsea by claiming he would not "want to train a team that is not in the Champions League". The club resumes its involvement in the competition on Tuesday with a last-16 tie...
The mere fact that Crawley Town will take their place at Old Trafford to play Manchester United should encapsulate the unifying soul of football, as nourished by the FA Cup. Battered, often undermined by the profile and financial might of the Premier...
England's lock Tom Palmer has warned that France will be a dangerous team when they travel to Twickenham next week. Les Bleus were hammered 34-10 on their last visit to London two years ago but Palmer, who plays his club rugby for Stade Français,...
As a long-term patient at St Bartholomew's hospital in London I read this week's news of cuts with trepidation. In order to meet the government's £20bn NHS "savings" target, the trust that runs Barts and the Royal London in Whitechapel is to...
Salford began their last season at The Willows with a humiliating defeat that may mark the end of a mostly unhappy period in charge for their coach, Shaun McRae. John Wilkinson, the long-serving chairman, has funded several major signings in his...
(Reporting by Jane Sutton; Editing by Will Dunham)
Sir Alex Ferguson is planning to give his first-choice Manchester United team the weekend off to prepare for their Champions League tie against Marseille on Wednesday, with the club not under threat of facing sanctions for fielding a severely weakened...
Gus Poyet should be finding management a breeze. Brighton & Hove Albion are resplendent at the top of League One and through to the fifth round of the FA Cup for the first time in a quarter of a century, their resurgence timed perfectly as the...
"Hosni Walker" say the picket signs outside of the Wisconsin state capitol, in Madison, where some 20,000 state workers and supporters have massed in freezing weather to protest Governor Scott Walker's plans to revoke their collective...
Motorists are to receive a 5p a litre discount on the price they pay for fuel under plans being finalised by the Treasury. But the measure only applies to those living in the remotest parts of Britain. Ministers are confident of winning EU backing for...
The 17-year-old striker was strongly linked with a move to Arsenal during the January transfer window, amid rumours they had contacted Ipswich about a deal to secure an option to sign him at the end of the season. The only decision Wickham eventually...
Former charity worker John Ssewagudde, 21, carried out the attack on a 28-year-old woman at her flat in Glasgow on June 25th last year. Ssewagudde later posted a message on Facebook that read: 'I admit it. I raped you.' The entry on the social...
JJB Sports has gained 99% shareholder approval for a new share issue to raise £31.5m in desperately needed cash. The move is part of a rescue plan for the loss-making company needed to stave off a possible debt default. The troubled High Street chain...
The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) is warning engaged couples to make sure they give enough time and thought to their wedding insurance. Policies can vary hugely when it comes to their cover, and the cheapest options might not be the best....
- 23:26 Custody for 'Columbine' plot schoolboys
- 23:26 Novichok victim Charlie Rowley leaves hospital
- 23:26 Khalid Ali: Westminster plot bomb-maker jailed for life
- 23:26 UK weather: Driest start to summer on modern record
- 23:26 Michel Barnier questions Theresa May's Brexit White Paper
- 23:25 Mortgage misery: The homeowners facing repossession
- 23:25 Six ways China could retaliate in a trade war
- 23:25 Smart meters to cut energy bills by just £11, say MPs
- 06:47 Dol-y-Moch: Re-living childhood days at the 'slimy lake'
- 06:47 Gareth Shaw: If you’re not claiming marriage allowance, why not?
- 06:47 Susan Dalgety: Embrace legacy of Otis and Elvis in the name of freedom
- 06:47 Child-friendly gigs praised by parents
- 06:47 Brian Wilson: There’s a sinister side to Sturgeon’s new Catalan friend
- 06:47 Rare 50p coin sells for staggering £840 on eBay
- 06:47 Stephen Jardine: I was wrong about the future of restaurants
- 06:47 Watch: Moment police raid Nuneaton home and find thousands of...
- 06:47 Thatcher ‘Eurosceptic’ speech was never meant to be anti-EU,...
- 06:47 Foreign Secretary calls on Nato members to increase defence spending
- 06:47 MPs visit farm to highlight ‘crisis’ of berry picker shortage
- 06:47 Brian Wilson: The weakness of May and Corbyn has been exposed
- 06:47 John McLellan: The blood on the Brexit carpet can’t be ignored
- 06:47 Johnny Vegas reveals dramatic weight loss after split from wife
- 06:47 Jane Bradley: The sad end of this sporting life
- 06:47 Leader comment: Girl Guide badges to include actual Moon-walking?
- 06:47 This is when all the new Cathedral Lanes restaurants are opening
- 06:47 Girlguides ditch home making for mixology in culture change
- 06:47 Long-term CJD survivor at centre of legal protection battle
- 06:47 Person injured 'by falling object' near Coventry city centre - recap
- 06:47 Now That’s What I Call Music! hits 100th edition
- 06:47 Watch: Rare 200mph supercar cruises along M40