News archive from 16 April 2011, page 27
Mourners during the funeral of Zakria Rashid al-Asherri, 40, in Dair village, north of the Bahraini capital Manama. Photograph: Mazen Mahdi/EPA Bahrain is braced for a fresh bout of violent repression as new arrests and the alleged death of a female...
Riot police in Sanabis, Bahrain. Since the Gulf soldiers came to Bahrain, life in the Shia villages and suburbs of the capital, Manama, has been non-stop intimidation, violence and threats. Even trying to move around in normal ways has become...
Jobi McAnuff (right) celebrates with Jem Karacan after scoring Reading's second goal against Leicester City at The Madejski Stadium. Photograph: John Marsh/Action Images Bristol City 0-1 Ipswich TownWas it a good match? Considering it was an end of...
One Hyde Park in Knightsbridge, London. Photograph: Linda Nylind for the Guardian It is the perfect London pied-à-terre for a non-dom tycoon about town. A three-storey penthouse overlooking Hyde Park has been sold for £136m – becoming by far the most...
Mystery Bird photographed at Awash National Park, Ethiopia (Africa). [I will identify this bird for you in 48 hours] Image: Dan Logen, 27 January 2011 [velociraptorize]. Nikon D300s, 600 mm lens, ISO 400, f/6.3, 1/640 sec This Ethiopian mystery bird...
Debates such as this discussion on Libya, with Foreign Secretary William Hague speaking in the House of Commons, can go on late into the night. Photograph: PA Nearly one in three MPs say they have considered quitting because of the pressure on their...
- 00:58 Thousands of doctors under scrutiny after fake qualifications case
- 00:58 'Out! Out!': protests grow in Tijuana against migrant caravan
- 00:57 UK ministers ‘aren’t interested in Scotland’
- 00:55 Yemen war: Houthis 'halting drone and missile strikes'
- 00:47 Sudoku 4,221 easy
- 00:45 Tay Road Bridge closed as police deal with 'ongoing incident' in...
- 00:43 Trio to learn fate as Cricket Australia weighs up ball tampering bans
- 00:42 Thousands of UK workers denied toilet access, says Unite
- 00:42 UK house prices fall by £5,000 on average, with south sliding fastest
- 00:42 Black Friday will shift sales online and cut pre-Christmas footfall
- 00:41 Aboriginal groups beg NSW to back down on adoption changes
- 00:40 Night at the movies for animal charity
- 00:28 Letter from Africa: Sudan's fashion police shave off afros
- 00:28 BBC 100 Women 2018: Who is on the list?
- 00:28 'I broke 22 bones and lost a year's memory'
- 00:28 Karachi Press Club: Shock as police raid ‘island of freedom’
- 00:27 Holly Willoughby makes I'm A Celebrity debut - and is full of jokes
- 00:22 Jo Johnson backs bid to force Treasury to reveal no-Brexit forecasts
- 00:11 CBI president to endorse Theresa May's draft Brexit deal
- 00:00 Democrats take Orange County district to cap midterm rout of...
- 23:58 England lose to West Indies to set up India semi-final in Women’s...
- 23:48 Person was trapped in car after crash at Gaydon
- 23:36 Who is I'm A Celebrity's Fleur East? The X-Factor runner up
- 23:36 Who is I'm A Celebrity's James McVey? The Vamps star
- 23:36 Cheryl blasted over 'awful' comeback performance on the X Factor
- 23:36 Who is I'm A Celebrity's Malique Thompson-Dwyer? Hollyoaks star
- 23:34 I'm A Celebrity 2018 fans all have the same criticism of new series
- 23:34 Harry Redknapp's hilarious I'm A Celebrity meltdown - over lack of...
- 23:28 Person was trapped in car after crash at Gaydon
- 23:20 Win against Wasps was 'a lot of fun' for Saints star Naiyaravoro