News archive from 10 February 2013
PRIME Minister David Cameron last night launched a defence of the United Kingdom as his government prepared to put the "facts" about Scottish independence to the
DETECTIVES will have to justify spending large amounts of taxpayers' money on prolonged investigations under tough new budget scrutiny plans proposed for the new Scottish police force. The Scottish Police Authority (SPA), which will oversee the single...
A £20 MILLION project to
TOO many cooks may spoil the broth, but the owner of an Edinburgh soup cafe hopes to get enough people on board to help fund its expansion plans as it becomes the latest firm to join the £15 billion "crowd-funding" revolution. Elaine Mason,...
IP GROUP, the London-listed technology commercialisation firm, has joined forces with the Scottish Investment Bank to pump £750,000 into a Glasgow University spin-out that has created a device for sterilising food. Anacail, whose name means “preserve,...
RETIRED borrowers with mortgages still to repay are being left in the lurch by lenders as age limits are reduced and affordability checks tightened. The difficulty facing older borrowers is particularly acute for the large number with interest-only...
SCOTTISH games companies are taking advantage of a resurgence in the market as demand for free-to-play titles drives employment and
REGULATORS are expected to give the go-ahead this week to the £1.4 billion merger of AG Barr and Pepsi bottler Britvic, despite talk of competition concerns in Scotland. The maker of Irn-Bru and its larger southern rival agreed the terms of the deal...
TESTS developed by a veterinary research firm in Edinburgh are to be used by the maker of Jarlsberg cheese to improve the health of its cows. Tine, a £2.2 billion dairy co-operative owned by more than 15,000 Norwegian farmers, will start using the...
AN E-COMMERCE security company is to go on the fundraising trail after it secured a valuable US patent for its
AN INVESTOR returning to Scotland from America has hailed the "beginning of the end" of the venture capital (VC) "gap" for Scottish life sciences companies after launching his £50 million fund. Sinclair Dunlop – who has a track...
A SPECIALIST producer of educational films has continued its global expansion by signing a multi-million pound deal to provide content to hundreds of thousands of pupils in Brazil. Glasgow-based Twig World is to supply its range of 2,000 films to...
Judd Apatow tells Claire Black casting his wife and children in his new film was the ultimate Woody Allen way to lay bare a few home truths FLICKING through the Vanity Fair on the table in front of me, I wait for Judd Apatow. Writer/director/producer...
The sizzle of skillets and percussive thuck of halal meat being chopped - this is Govanhill in 2013 and the all-consuming story of a fascinating district George Verrecchia, a dapper gent of 84, stands in the doorway of the Bungalow Cafe, which he has...
- 23:26 Custody for 'Columbine' plot schoolboys
- 23:26 Novichok victim Charlie Rowley leaves hospital
- 23:26 Khalid Ali: Westminster plot bomb-maker jailed for life
- 23:26 UK weather: Driest start to summer on modern record
- 23:26 Michel Barnier questions Theresa May's Brexit White Paper
- 23:25 Mortgage misery: The homeowners facing repossession
- 23:25 Six ways China could retaliate in a trade war
- 23:25 Smart meters to cut energy bills by just £11, say MPs
- 06:47 Dol-y-Moch: Re-living childhood days at the 'slimy lake'
- 06:47 Gareth Shaw: If you’re not claiming marriage allowance, why not?
- 06:47 Susan Dalgety: Embrace legacy of Otis and Elvis in the name of freedom
- 06:47 Child-friendly gigs praised by parents
- 06:47 Brian Wilson: There’s a sinister side to Sturgeon’s new Catalan friend
- 06:47 Rare 50p coin sells for staggering £840 on eBay
- 06:47 Stephen Jardine: I was wrong about the future of restaurants
- 06:47 Watch: Moment police raid Nuneaton home and find thousands of...
- 06:47 Thatcher ‘Eurosceptic’ speech was never meant to be anti-EU,...
- 06:47 Foreign Secretary calls on Nato members to increase defence spending
- 06:47 MPs visit farm to highlight ‘crisis’ of berry picker shortage
- 06:47 Brian Wilson: The weakness of May and Corbyn has been exposed
- 06:47 John McLellan: The blood on the Brexit carpet can’t be ignored
- 06:47 Johnny Vegas reveals dramatic weight loss after split from wife
- 06:47 Jane Bradley: The sad end of this sporting life
- 06:47 Leader comment: Girl Guide badges to include actual Moon-walking?
- 06:47 This is when all the new Cathedral Lanes restaurants are opening
- 06:47 Girlguides ditch home making for mixology in culture change
- 06:47 Long-term CJD survivor at centre of legal protection battle
- 06:47 Person injured 'by falling object' near Coventry city centre - recap
- 06:47 Now That’s What I Call Music! hits 100th edition
- 06:47 Watch: Rare 200mph supercar cruises along M40