Angry EU will REJECT bespoke post-Brexit trade deal for Britain predicts Europhile
Charles Grant, director of the Centre for European Reform thinktank, believes the EU is likely to reject a request for a bespoke agreement, and insist Britain follows the model of Norway, Canada or WTO rules.
Mr Grant said he believes the UK is “counting on the unity of the 27 fracturing”, and hope they see it is in their interests to give the UK a better deal than Canada.
Writing for the Guardian he said EU fears Britain will steal investment by slashing corporate taxes, and will insist on provisions in any deal, that allow it to punish Britain for any such undercuttings.
Mr Grant... read more
- 19:04 Monday at the Labour party conference
- 19:04 Chelsea news: Olivier Giroud sends fierce Maurizio Sarri warning to...
- 19:03 Nuno is set to call up these Wolves kids for Carabao Cup duty
- 19:02 Cousins caught with loaded sawn-off shotgun say they were dragged...
- 19:03 Cheers and tears at Carlisle Living Awards
- 19:02 Sunderland sack Didier Ndong, saying he breached contract by going...
- 19:02 'Coward' butcher leaves victim with life-changing injuries in...
- 19:01 The open-air church that drew hundreds in the Highlands
- 18:57 Seven ways to overcome loneliness
- 18:57 It’s just an illusion: culture secretary Jeremy Wright’s hologram
- 18:57 Expecting the Queen for dinner? Make her favourite soup
- 18:57 Oh, brother: why siblings make the most savage political opponents
- 18:57 Compote, dressing or gin: what can you do with a glut of blackberries?
- 18:57 How to get fit – without breaking the bank
- 18:53 First routine eye check uncovers brain tumour in five-year-old girl
- 18:48 Northern bosses remain ‘highly confident’ despite Brexit uncertainty
- 18:46 When do the clocks go back in October 2018 and when do they go...
- 18:45 Lancashire teaching assistant Rachel Evans writes new novel and...
- 18:45 Meghan and Harry go head-to-head in netball shootout
- 18:44 City centre road closed as emergency services tackle flat fire
- 18:43 Parts of Doncaster have some of worst figures for attempted online...
- 18:40 Whisky galore
- 18:40 Call to ‘Mend Our Mountains’ as peak damage sets in
- 18:40 Human trafficking victim from Vietnam found in Dunblane after...
- 18:38 Labour says it could SCRAP Universal Credit entirely - along with a...
- 18:38 Police 'investigating' hate crime complaints after man seen with...
- 18:37 British media's Brexit coverage sows division – EU commissioner
- 18:36 No allergy information displayed at Pret A Manger branch linked to...
- 18:35 Man admits posing as cheating army wife to film porn with...
- 18:33 Northern bosses remain ‘highly confident’ despite Brexit uncertainty