Angela Smith: The People’s Vote is only way out of Brexit gridlock
THE Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu, was right when he said a “pure Brexit” was a “childish dream” and that “no serious politician should have entertained it.” But he is simply wrong when he warned in The Yorkshire Post last week that holding a People’s Vote on Brexit risks “civil unrest”.
MPs have a duty to make sure that we stand up for the best interests of our constituents. It is clear from recent surveys that public opinion has moved on Brexit. Nearly every constituency in Great Britain now backs the public having a final say on Brexit.
Therefore, contrary to the comments made by... read more
- 19:22 ITV bolstered by Rugby World Cup and Love Island
- 19:21 Tahith Chong has ‘decided not to renew his contract at Man Utd’...
- 19:20 Why protesters were outside Leicester's Highcross McDonald's
- 19:18 Student at Bath Spa University dies after contracting meningitis
- 19:16 Interview Anti governmental extremism
- 19:14 Is carbon neutrality the silver bullet fashion has been hoping for?
- 19:14 Ousted Evo Morales arrives in Mexico leaving power vacuum in Bolivia
- 19:13 Arsenal players have given up on Unai Emery and the board are ready...
- 19:10 Two men to appear in court following Cheetham Hill Road crash
- 19:07 Mum transforms kitchen cabinets, tiles and worktops for £200
- 19:07 Why do we put oranges in stockings at Christmas – What does it mean?
- 19:05 Scientist who takes on firms causing wildfires wins John Maddox prize
- 19:05 Lib Dem candidate stands aside to avoid 'nightmare' of Tory win
- 18:58 Pets stolen, slaughtered and turned into bar snacks in Cambodia’s...
- 18:48 Labour allows candidate who made sexist comments to stand
- 18:42 McDonnell takes on McDonald's over tax and workers pay
- 18:42 City regulator staff slated over 'shameful' behaviour at London HQ
- 18:37 Liverpool suffer Mohamed Salah scare as forward ruled out of Egypt...
- 18:29 Trump fumes as Democrats get ready for 'sober and rigorous' public...
- 18:27 Department of Education criticised for secretly sharing children's...
- 18:26 Lib Dems in General Election pact with Women’s Equality Party
- 18:26 Lord Bramall, former head of British Army, dies aged 95
- 18:24 Gary Lineker dismisses row between Raheem Sterling and Joe Gomez as...
- 18:18 Cleckheaton succumb to rare home defeat by local rivals Morley
- 18:17 Urgent work needed to protect historic Leicester landmark The Magazine
- 18:16 Major terror attack on West IMMINENT: Syria General warns...
- 18:15 Editorial: Royal Mail's strike ban bid shows the need to overhaul...
- 18:14 England boss Gareth Southgate sent strong message with Gomez,...
- 18:13 Encircled by flames: the sleepy NSW towns in the bushfire crisis
- 18:13 Public inquiry ordered over death of Sheku Bayoh in custody