Angela Merkel pledges 'grand coalition for the little people'
Germany’s new government has vowed to become a “grand coalition for the little people”, as Angela Merkel’s conservatives and her two coalition partners embark on a precarious project of reforming Europe while nodding to the language and concerns of the populist right.
Merkel, who is due to be sworn in for her fourth term on Wednesday, almost six months after national elections last September, said on Monday that her new government would focus on “the integration of refugees, but also on the state’s ability to act when people have not been granted right of residence”.
“We have all enjoyed... read more
- 03:05 Three taken to hospital after suspected chemical leak at Sydney hotel
- 02:53 Are wasps the bees knees? Scientists think they should be
- 02:53 How music saved a failing school
- 02:53 EU migration: How has it changed the UK?
- 02:53 'Killing a generation': one million more children at risk from...
- 02:47 Mercury Prize 2018: Nominees reveal the last thing they changed on...
- 02:35 California surgeon and 'girlfriend' charged with drug rapes
- 02:35 Google's prototype Chinese search engine links searches to phone...
- 02:06 'Ashamed': South Koreans chilled by Kim Jong-un's cuddles
- 02:00 PM to announce £2bn for social housing
- 01:59 Kavanaugh accuser wants an FBI investigation before she testifies
- 01:44 Wiltshire Police confirm no nerve agent exposure for Salisbury diners
- 01:29 'Sexist, unsafe' world experienced by young girls
- 01:27 Bernard Ingham: Toil and trouble as parties descend into a total mess
- 01:27 The Yorkshire Post says: HS2 and its tests. High-speed line of...
- 01:27 Mark Burns-Williamson: Police need the resources to do their job
- 01:27 Mike Regnier: How Yorkshire Building Society learned the lessons of...
- 01:25 Christine Blasey Ford: Kavanaugh accuser 'faces death threats'
- 01:22 Yoghurts (even organic ones) 'full of sugar'
- 01:18 “It’s too late to stop now.” Those were the words of the late...
- 01:13 People's Vote says 'multiple opportunities' for Brexit referendum
- 01:02 Sugar: Kinder rebuked for breaking kids' advertising rules
- 01:01 Mike Regnier: How Yorkshire Building Society learned the lessons of...
- 00:59 The Yorkshire Post says: Migrants – and why they count. Policy...
- 00:59 Mark Burns-Williamson: Police need the resources to do their job
- 00:58 The weird and wonderful life of Elon Musk
- 00:58 Former foster carer and ex-teacher denies sexually assaulting two...
- 00:57 Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool have the stamina to stick to his gameplan
- 00:55 The Yorkshire Post says: Rural life lessons. Twinning schools with...
- 00:55 The Yorkshire Post says: HS2 and its tests. High-speed line of...