Among the Leicestershire soldiers maintaining the peace in a modern day no-man's land
Cyprus is a popular holiday playground, with sun-kissed beaches, friendly islanders and the scent of citrus groves and its famous meaty meze dish lingering long in the memory.
But a map of the island shows a line roughly the distance from Leicester to London cutting through like a scar.
It's the United Nation Buffer Zone, or Green Line, a controlled no-man's land which serves as a constant reminder of the physical and symbolic division separating the Greek south from the Turkish north of the island.
The United Nations was forced to intervene in a conflict between the two countries in 1974... read more
- 10:19 Food and drink Voices: How can we future-proof food & drink in...
- 10:19 Scotch meat still top of the class
- 10:19 Can Blumhouse's political pod repeat Get Out's success? – podcasts...
- 10:19 Former Arsenal star Alan Smith explains why Mesut Ozil is Unai...
- 10:18 A-level joy for Heckmondwike Grammar School students
- 10:18 Developer calls for council to release report and repeats legal...
- 10:18 Council praise for county’s sixth formers
- 10:17 My life in sex: the 31-year-old who has never been kissed
- 10:17 Homes across Warwick district to get health check
- 10:17 Outstanding results add up to an exciting future for CRGS pupils
- 10:16 Lee Miller’s Nude Bent Forward: phallic curves from a pioneering...
- 10:16 Burnby Hall waterlilies talk
- 10:16 Diana Athill on VS Naipaul: ‘I worked very hard at keeping...
- 10:16 Artist's Aboriginal portraits back in Tasmania after 170 years
- 10:16 15-year-old boy from Bradford charged with terrorism offences
- 10:15 Stables Lane recreation area open for play
- 10:14 Understanding performance practice
- 10:14 Two children taken to Manchester Children’s Hospital after crash in...
- 10:14 Happy 130th birthday to Burnley and Pendle NSPCC branch!
- 10:13 GPs urge East Lancashire patients to use online appointment-booking...
- 10:13 Shocking moment East Coast Main Line workers run for lives as...
- 10:13 Joanna Dennehy 'believed to have attempted suicide in prison’
- 10:13 Preston North End new boy Andrew Hughes ready to seize his chance...
- 10:12 Chelsea IMPOSSIBLE for Roman Abramovich to keep but he won’t care...
- 10:12 Food and drink: Change on the menu for vital industry
- 10:12 Scotsman Fringe First awards: Seven winners from week two
- 10:12 Students from Cumbria celebrate A-level results
- 10:11 Waitress punches co-worker for slapping her bum during drinking game
- 10:11 Langton Hill bus stop saga is a disgrace, says ELDC
- 10:09 Low-carb diets might shorten life, study finds