After years in jail without trial or hope, Syria’s hunger strikers fight for justice
In the shaky mobile phone video, around a dozen men with grim faces stand in silence, their arms above their heads holding placards. The corridor’s yellow light reveals exposed wires and damp, peeling paint.
The protesters are detainees at Hama central prison: some were arrested during Syria’s peaceful Arab Spring protests in 2011 and have been held without trial since.
“We have been imprisoned for many long years in the darkness of detention cells, breathing in and breathing out agony,” one says, reading from a piece of paper explaining the decision for a hunger strike. “We are exhausted.... read more
- 23:48 Arsenal ready to swoop for £40m Cristian Pavon in January transfer
- 23:46 Bill Jamieson: Mackay ‘no change’ budget belies big risks
- 23:42 Grateful Japan’s just-in-time dram
- 23:39 Hundreds of trafficked children ‘lost’ by local authorities
- 23:38 Multiple crashes on M74 as drivers caught out by freezing rain and...
- 23:38 Edinburgh-bound easyJet flight diverted after passenger suffers...
- 23:36 Ecommerce entrepreneur targets Scotland
- 23:36 Thinking of moving? Take advice from property expert Phil Spencer
- 23:36 The Big Interview: Robert Kilgour of Renaissance Care
- 23:36 Powerchair soccer a hit with disabled Scots sportsmen and women
- 23:35 Library snaps up rare Sylvia Plath poem first published by Scottish...
- 23:32 Manchester United put Paul Pogba up for sale in January...
- 23:31 Euan McColm: At least Theresa May’s not the other guy
- 23:31 Vote for protection against Brexit, Derek Mackay urges MSPs
- 23:31 Assisted dying ‘only option for many with terminal illness’
- 23:31 NATURE NOTES: Waifs and strays provide some rare sightings for...
- 23:31 Timely safety advice as winter continues to tighten its grip
- 23:30 Major fire rips through terraced house in Weelsby Street
- 23:30 Chester Zoo launches £50,000 fundraising campaign to repair damage...
- 23:29 Meghan and Harry will spend Christmas Day with William and Kate...
- 23:19 Jose Mourinho in dark over Manchester United’s transfer plans for...
- 23:13 How Preston North End's players rated in their win over Millwall:...
- 23:12 Cyclone Owen downgraded, but could reform off Queensland
- 23:04 Matthew Walls and Fred Wright claim silver in Madison at track...
- 22:58 Chelsea win transfer race for Christian Pulisic ahead of Liverpool...
- 22:57 New bridge will make wood access easier
- 22:48 José Mourinho admits he is in the dark over possible January signings
- 22:48 Michael van Gerwen showered with beer at PDC World Championship
- 22:48 Girl, 12, is ‘dying before her mum’s eyes’ due to lifelong phobia...
- 22:44 David Hurley to be named next governor general of Australia