Aadhaar: India top court upholds controversial biometric scheme
India's Supreme Court has ruled that the country's controversial biometric identity scheme is constitutional and does not violate the right to privacy.
However the court limited the scope of Aadhaar, saying it could not be compulsory for bank accounts, mobile connections or school admissions.
The world's largest biometric ID scheme covers welfare and tax payments and access to a range of social services.
More than a billion Indians have already been enrolled in the scheme.
They received a 12-digit unique identification number after submitting biometric data. About 30 petitioners went to... read more
- 13:46 Live Music Review Choral Christmas cracker from Tenebrae
- 13:45 TV chef Gino D’Acampo’s middle name is SHEFFIELD – after changing...
- 13:43 Scots hi-fi firm Linn in fine tune as R&D pays off
- 13:42 Leaflets posted in Liverpool urging people to become ‘White Racial...
- 13:42 Is Banksy behind this painting on a wall in Port Talbot?
- 13:41 Jeremy Corbyn accused of calling Theresa May a 'stupid woman'
- 13:42 Call for Northumberland Labour leader to resign
- 13:41 South African police issue arrest warrant for Grace Mugabe
- 13:40 Call for Northumberland Labour leader to resign
- 13:39 Aston Villa are set to swoop for this man - three years after...
- 13:39 A heartwarming festive tale set in Atherstone
- 13:39 Jose Mourinho 'set to be offered next management job' just 24 hours...
- 13:39 Uncertain future for Hull's sexual health services after £2.3m...
- 13:39 'Disorganised' grotto where kids waited hours evacuated after...
- 13:39 The shock thing Jose Mourinho did to Manchester United players...
- 13:39 TV chef Gino D’Acampo’s middle name is SHEFFIELD – after changing...
- 13:38 Illegal alcohol and cigarettes seized in Lincolnshire will power homes
- 13:37 St Helens house prices up by 1.2% in October
- 13:35 Ofsted: Trust has ‘restored faith’ in Somercotes school
- 13:35 Officers concerned for safety of missing Nottinghamshire nine-year-old
- 13:35 How Daniel Levy plans to persuade Mauricio Pochettino to snub...
- 13:33 Officers concerned for safety of missing Nottinghamshire nine-year-old
- 13:32 Why the battle to fix Europe's fisheries policy isn't over yet
- 13:31 Serial Sunderland rapist Omar Sharif jailed for more than 32 YEARS
- 13:31 Paul Whitelaw’s Christmas TV survival guide
- 13:29 These are the chemists which are open over Christmas and New Year...
- 13:28 Sales of unofficial Yorkshire passport ‘have soared’
- 13:28 Illegal alcohol and cigarettes seized in Lincolnshire will power homes
- 13:28 Man remains in police custody after woman died at home in Bradford
- 13:27 Don Your Way Column: Christmas: Peace and goodwill or tantrums and...