81 and not giving up anytime soon: One of Britain's oldest nurses reveals why she refuses to retire and her fears about the NHS becoming privatised
One of Britain's oldest nurses, who has worked in the profession for over 65 years, has spoken of her fears about the NHS becoming privatised.
Aileen Coomber, of Worthing, West Sussex, who became a nursing cadet in July 1951, registered as a nurse in January 1976 and has seen many changes throughout her career, and has no plans to retire, despite being 81.
Just 11 when the NHS was established on 5 July, 1948, what worries her the most is the threat of privatisation.
Aileen, who was named the Royal College of Nursing Institute bank nurse of the year in 2017, said: 'I feel quite sad that the... read more
- 10:10 SB Cares to fill vacancies
- 10:08 RECENT NOSTALGIA: Children come together for activities
- 10:05 Britain’s youngest Lottery winner regrets not saving her millions...
- 10:05 Shipwreck revealed by shifting sands on South Shields beach 117...
- 10:04 90-year-old Rugby care home resident meets an elephant for the...
- 10:04 Sheffield road remains closed due to major burst water main
- 10:04 UK's youngest Lotto winner Callie Rogers admits biggest regret is...
- 10:04 Man Utd news: Jose Mourinho management style and midfield roles...
- 10:02 Garry Monk responds to questions about Diego Fabbrini's Birmingham...
- 09:59 Wellingborough Daylight charity thanks shopping centre for donation
- 09:58 Four legged fun at Lutterworth Dog Fest!
- 09:58 Transfer news LIVE updates: Mourinho could be AXED over Pogba,...
- 09:56 Smell something that isn’t there? You might be suffering from...
- 09:54 Arsenal boss Emery outlines plans for Aubameyang and Lacazette...
- 09:53 Job opportunities as people switched from gas
- 09:52 Lifeboat crew called out after yacht crew stranded under RNLI station
- 09:51 Terminally ill dog is completing a bucket list before she dies
- 09:48 EuroScience Open Forum: sharing science, and a bit of career advice
- 09:46 Yotam Ottolenghi’s tomato recipes
- 09:45 Young woman seriously injured in crash in Sheffield
- 09:45 No arrests after latest stabbing in Sheffield
- 09:45 Have you seen missing Barrow man Frederick Lundy?
- 09:45 Job opportunities as people switched from gas
- 09:39 Meet the British woman saving street cats in Oman
- 09:37 Vintage opening at Pickering’s new antiques centre
- 09:34 Ragnar Klavan reveals Mohamed Salah and Alisson convinced him to...
- 09:33 Safety concerns for missing Chesterfield woman
- 09:32 'I did a whole lot of crying': the spectacular fall and rise of...
- 09:29 IN PICTURES: The otter sculptures that are brightening up a...
- 09:27 The opinion column with Graham Storer