70,000 displaced people in need of aid after floods
OVER 70,000 people displaced by severe flooding in North Korea last month are urgently in need of supplies and shelter, the Red Cross said yesterday.
The floods were caused by a typhoon that hit the country’s northernmost province, leaving an estimated 130 people dead and another 400 missing.
Typhoon Lionrock created floods that submerged, severely damaged or destroyed 30,000 homes and displaced 70,000 people.
“The disaster was pretty horrendous for the people affected,” said Chris Staines of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
The Red Cross is seeking... read more
- 08:39 Timber causing disruption for M62 users on morning commute in Leeds
- 08:34 Summer concert to take place in Barrow
- 08:34 Football fan told to take down LGBT England flag in Russian stadium
- 08:32 Smoking skunk ‘causes one in six cases of psychosis in Britain’,...
- 08:31 LIVE: Monday’s Preston North End news - Latest transfer news and...
- 08:31 Harry Kane odds on to win BBC Sports Personality of the Year after...
- 08:31 Someone has been selling Hot Dog Water for £21 to prove people will...
- 08:29 FTSE LIVE: Blue chip index slides as trade war fears stoke up...
- 08:27 Roseanne Barr regrets becoming 'hate magnet'
- 08:27 5 reptiles rescued from house fire in early hours of morning in...
- 08:27 Council saved £8.7 million with smarter budgeting last year
- 08:27 The top 10 schools in Hull and East Yorkshire revealed
- 08:26 Prince William sparks internet meltdown by watching England beat...
- 08:25 Decision due on Leeds school places shortage
- 08:25 Danielle Lloyd confirms she'll fly abroad for illegal gender...
- 08:25 Town post office closes days after it loses its bank
- 08:24 Police investigate senseless theft of flag ahead of Armed Forces Day
- 08:24 Town post office closes days after it loses its bank
- 08:23 Love Island fans "buzzing" as Samira gets kiss - but others are...
- 08:23 Council saved £8.7 million with smarter budgeting last year
- 08:23 Nev Schulman allegations branded 'not credible' as MTV resumes...
- 08:22 Ten talking points from the second round of World Cup 2018 matches
- 08:21 Man to stand trial over alleged attempted kidnap of girl in Coventry
- 08:19 Business leader calls on PM to back NE
- 08:18 Festival of top comedy heads for Morecambe
- 08:17 Emergency crews scramble to crash closing main road in Sleaford
- 08:17 Prince Harry returns to Lesotho in emotional visit to children’s...
- 08:17 Appeal launched after assault involving man and woman at Methodist...
- 08:16 Tributes to Brit tourist killed in 'deliberate' Cyprus hit-and-run
- 08:16 RISE AND SHINE: Start your day with us