3D map of the early universe reveals 4,000 galaxies that formed as far back as 13 BILLION years ago
An incredible 3D map has revealed the early history of the universe, bringing to light a multitude of galaxies that formed in the infancy of our cosmos.
Experts used telescopes here on Earth to peer back in time to 16 different epochs in the far reaches of space, between 11 and 13 billion years ago.
By doing so they discovered almost 4,000 early galaxies, many of which will have since evolved into galaxies like our own Milky Way.
The findings may provide scientists with crucial new information about the early phases of galaxy formation.
Researchers from Lancaster University made the chart... read more
- 03:06 Top police commander praises witnesses who helped victim in Asda...
- 00:14 Three arrested after shots fired in Leicester city centre
- 00:15 Multiple theories of how to tackle Carnoustie reach no firm conclusion
- 03:06 Labour celebrates victory in Besses by election
- 00:15 Graffiti gang who caused £77,000 worth of damage to trains across...
- 00:14 Youths go on smashing spree in Peterlee
- 00:14 REVIEW: Poptastic Steps wow crowds at Lytham Festival
- 00:14 Pizza, popcorn - Sleights pupils’ sleepover at school raises more...
- 00:14 Victim speaks out after sex attacker jailed for 23 years
- 00:14 New low for Northants as they are beaten by Derbyshire
- 00:14 Police make second arrest in Shaun Lyall death
- 00:14 Headteacher says councillors 'must do better' after branding his...
- 00:14 RISE AND SHINE: Your morning news and travel
- 00:14 Steelbacks set to make more changes for Bears battle