News from Wigan Today
A grieving mum told an inquest that her cancer-battling son might not have died if more medical checks had been made. Four-year-old Charlie Logan Taylor succumbed to pneumonia in July 2016 following a long battle with neuroblastoma, an aggressive form of
Young rugby league players taking part in a pioneering dance programme will swap boots for ballet shoes when they visit a top London venue. Wigan Warriors academy players who are part of the Pianos, Pies and Pirouettes scheme will spend time at the Royal
Police are appealing to find a woman who has gone missing with her 10-week-old baby. Sophie Callaghan, 25, who is from the Toxteth area, was last seen on Wednesday March 22in Prescot. Extensive enquiries have been ongoing to locate her, and her 10 week-o
A senior detective in the hit and run case which killed a four-year-old girl and left her grandmother in hospital has appealed for one of the suspects to “search his conscience” after it emerged he had fled the country. Det Chief Insp Chris Sephton said
A Wigan grandmother remains in a serious condition after being mown down in a hit and run collision that killed her four-year-old grand-daughter. Both Angela French and Violet-Grace Youens were taken to hospital on Friday as the incident, on Prescot Road
Campaign groups battling plans for Billinge’s greenbelt land have rounded on a decision to give the controversial Florida Farm development the go-ahead. The Rainford Action Group and Residents Against Florida Farm Development criticised the government’s
Abraham Guest academy has U-turned on a decision to ban its own pupils from using the in-house public library. The Academy in Orrell was panned by school watchdog Ofsted last March for its decision to keep the Lamberhead Green Public Library locked to pu
Police officers are appealing for witnesses after a girl suffered serious injuries in a Wigan road rollision. At around 6.30pm on Friday March 24, police were called to Wallgate close to the junction with Miry Lane to reports a 12-year-old girl had been
A mayoral candidate has vowed to rip up a controversial home and jobs plan that includes building on Wigan greenbelt. Will Patterson, the Green Party’s Greater Manchester mayor hopeful, says his “people’s housing plan” will seek out brownfield sites for
Wigan and Leigh MPs and councillors are being called to join a campaign against “devastating” NHS funding cuts. Wigan Trades Council has sent letters to political figures across the borough outlining plans to hold a public meeting and a march to highligh
A local photographer captured these shocking images of the huge explosion which levelled a restaurant and trapped several people under the resulting rubble. Scott Dow, 34, rushed to the scene of the Wirral disaster to take the aerial drone footage of the
A spate of developments earmarked for Wigan will contribute to housing targets set by the Greater Spatial Framework (GMSF), the town hall has said. Developers and the council have recently announced several schemes across the borough, totalling hundreds
Half of a popular Wigan folk duo has returned to the stage - just months after suffering a stroke. Les Hilton, from Chonkinfeckle, fell ill in December and the right-hand side of his body was affected. It meant he was unable to play the ukulele and other
More than 200 people are receiving treatment for HIV in Wigan despite the borough being classed as a “low prevalence” area. Latest Government figures - from 2015 - say the 213 patients equates to 1.13 in every 1,000 borough residents. But despite the low
The murder trial of a Wigan mother and daughter has been delayed by six months. Gillian Reid, 56, of Closebrook Road, Worsley Hall, and Becky Reid, 32, of Hayward Road, Atherton, had been due to stand trial this week for the unlawful killing of Lyndsey V
- 11:15 Man rescued from scaffolding in Carlisle
- 11:14 Renno’s Brig eye place in semi-finals of League Cup
- 11:14 Man, 72, killed after hit by train near Ketton
- 11:14 Marine 'A' Alexander Blackman jailed for seven years but could be...
- 11:13 The new £1 coin is released today - but here's why you won't get...
- 11:13 Live: Amateur theatre performer mown down and killed 'following...
- 11:13 Marine 'A' Alexander Blackman jailed for seven years but could be...
- 11:13 What is Google Home, and how does it compare with Amazon’s Echo?
- 11:13 Payments company Square launches in the UK
- 11:13 Barclays in talks to sell Zimbabwe bank to Malawi's First Merchant...
- 11:13 Colourful fun in aid of essential hospice funds
- 11:13 ‘It is not all about make-up and swimwear’
- 11:12 WARNING - choking hazard on potentially DEADLY toddler Primark...
- 11:12 Former Garstang journalist creates waves with first book
- 11:11 See inside new Newcastle four star hotel at the site of the former...
- 11:11 CCTV appeal after spate of bank card thefts from 'drunk and...
- 11:11 Video: Could you be the right person to help monitor cells at West...
- 11:11 Three young children taken to hospital after severe fire at house...
- 11:10 Man City's injured star Gabriel Jesus visits the Brazil squad to...
- 11:10 LIVES: Donate your ‘round pounds’ to us!
- 11:10 New Zealanders will open up their homes to British and Irish Lions...
- 11:10 Mount Etna eruption - is it safe to travel to Sicily after volcanic...
- 11:10 Tributes paid to former Kettering councillor who passed away last week
- 11:10 Drop in number of home repossessions
- 11:10 Funding to boost cancer screening rates
- 11:09 RWE has no plans to sell power plants - CEO
- 11:08 Video: Could you be the right person to help monitor cells at West...
- 11:08 Paris: Violent protests after French police kill Chinese man
- 11:08 Which Derbyshire sites are among the UK’s most visited tourist...
- 11:08 You’ve goat to be kiddin’: At 20, is Jarvis the UK’s oldest kid on...