News from Wigan Today
A doctor pleaded with police to stop holding a baton to Luke Rhoden’s neck in the minutes before his death, an inquest has heard. Dr Santiago Akoskin, who flew over from Spain to give evidence at Bolton Coroners’ Court, was called by the hotel, Ibiza Roc
Funding bids to transform Wigan’s healthcare system have been submitted with a boss appointed to a new combined leadership group. Greater Manchester’s 10 local authority areas have been invited to apply for a share of £60m as part of the region’s devolut
A local MP has joined unhappy passengers to complain about a popular local bus service being cut. Bolton West parliamentary representative Chris Green has hit out at the decision by Diamond Bus to axe its 518 route between Leigh and Horwich. This route i
0 Have your say The developers of Pokemon GO are getting into the spirit of the season by announcing a series of Hallowe’en-themed special features. From tomorrow, players will receive double the usual amount of candy for every Pokemon they catch and, as
0 Have your say A Chinese surveillance electronics firm has announced it will recall webcams and other products after hackers exploited security vulnerabilities in Internet of Things devices, causing widespread outages across popular websites last week.
0 Have your say A Swedish firm has designed the world’s first airbag for cyclists. The Hövding airbag is designed to revolutionise head protection and videos of the invention online have attracted more than 150 million views as cyclists get excited about
A Wigan mum has branded a pop idol an “arrogant, spoiled brat”. Canadian heart throb Justin Bieber stunned thousands of fans at the Manchester Arena by walking off stage mid concert in a hissy-fit huff ... because adoring teenager girl fans were screamin
An elderly man has died after a crash involving three cars on the A580 East Lancashire Road. The emergency services were called at 6.35am today to reports of a collision. A man in his 70s was taken to hospital where he sadly died, a police spokesman said
An eye-witness watched on in horror as police struck tragic Wigan man Luke Rhoden with batons moments before he suffered cardiac arrest. A long-awaited inquest into the 25-year-old’s death in Ibiza in 2014 started yesterday with Luke’s family hoping for
Wigan waterway enthusiasts turned out in force to meet the crew of a boat recreating a historic journey for an important canal anniversary. The boat Kennet visited the borough on Friday afternoon as part of a voyage to mark 200 years since the Leeds-Live
0 Have your say Shivering at cold war idea So, Boris Johnson has said “We must do something” (about Aleppo), hinting that ‘something’ might be attacking the Russians. Perhaps he is not old enough to remember the worst of the Cold War. We cannot, dare not
A man has died after being involved in a multi-vehicle collision on the M6. The driver was airlifted to hospital following the incident which happened on the northbound carriageway of the motorway between junctions 29 and 30. But police say he was pronou
Hospital bosses are again urging people to stay away from Wigan Infirmary’s A&E department unless they are in a serious or life-threatening condition. The hospital is experiencing another surge in demand for its services. There have been repeated...
The M6 motorway has partialy re-opened after a serious collision. Motorists had been advised to avoid the area and seek alternative routes following the collision which happened on the northbound carriageway near to junction 31. The emergency services. i
0 Have your say A woman has died after a fire at a house in Chatburn this morning (Monday). The fire broke out at the house in Greenfield Avenue. Police, paramedics and fire crews were called just before 8 am after neighbours saw the woman at a window in
- 13:06 Multiple motoring offences admitted by Melton man
- 13:05 Greek, Turkish Cypriots to discuss territory trade offs in November
- 13:05 Bollore executive says speed a factor in Cameroon accident, train...
- 13:05 Pitch in your vote to help grant bid
- 13:05 Charity foundation will be caring Josh's lasting legacy
- 13:03 Aldi set to open first store in Rutland - with special golden...
- 13:02 Monte Paschi sub debt rallies on liability management proposal
- 13:02 VIDEO - Check out the world’s first airbag for cyclists
- 13:02 'Sick crew' BA jet diverted to Vancouver
- 13:01 Fall in number of crimes and anti-social behaviour incidents...
- 13:01 Biker relives horrifying moment he fell head-first on rocks and...
- 13:01 Support growing for finalists in contest
- 13:01 Thug who battered partner to death after finding her in bed with...
- 13:01 Beijing threatens legal action over webcam claims
- 13:01 Smartwatch sales show sharp decline, report finds
- 13:00 Family’s mission to help others
- 13:00 Bastian Schweinsteiger can lift Manchester United - Manuel Neuer
- 13:00 Chris Ashton to join Toulon from Saracens at the end of this season
- 13:00 Henrikh Mkhitaryan was supposed to show that Manchester United can...
- 12:59 Reunion event for workers of Bloom & Billet Mill set to take place
- 12:59 Season's first seal pups born at Lincolnshire nature reserve
- 12:59 What would happen if a nuclear bomb hit Scunthorpe?
- 12:59 Scunthorpe United look for good away following at Charlton Athletic...
- 12:59 Last tenant moves out as bulldozers are set to move in on Albert...
- 12:59 Government commits to using UK steel after giving backing to...
- 12:59 Anniversary for family run Whaley Bridge company
- 12:58 Biker relives horrifying moment he fell head-first on rocks and...
- 12:58 HK legislature delays swearing-in of pro-independence lawmakers...
- 12:58 Woman's agonising TWO-AND-A-HALF-YEAR wait for pain relief treatment
- 12:57 Screws placed around victim's car after vandals target home