News from Whitby Gazette
Six holiday cottages, B&Bs and guesthouses in Yorkshire have achieved 10/10 ratings from satisfied guests. Booking.com has revealed the accommodation options that received the highest guest experience scores on the site based on customer...
Scarborough Council has approved permission for a new restaurant at Whitby's former Tourist Information Centre. Andrew Pern, who runs the Michelin-starred Star Inn at Harome and York’s Star Inn The City restaurant, will take over the town’s tourist infor
Over 40 schools in North and West Yorkshire have been visited by army bomb disposal experts after it was discovered they were storing a potentially hazardous chemical on their premises. Controlled explosions had to be carried out at the schools - among t
Yorkshire GP Dr Julie Coffey has written two books to help us lead healthier lifestyles. Catherine Scott reports. Yorkshire GP Dr Julie Coffey believes we really can think ourselves slim. The Sheffield doctor has just written her second book, Think Yours
New tax rules will end up costing South Yorkshire motorists hundreds of pounds when they come into force in April. DVLA’s VED is set for an overhaul that means cars that previously dodged a bill will now be liable with environmental vehicle excise duty i
Study puts Whitby ahead of Scarborough. A study into the best hotels and B&Bs from seaside resorts around the country has found that Whitby has the fourth best offering. Whitby ranked ahead of other resorts on the east coast of Yorkshire, with...
Some councillors from the town council are working towards obtaining World Heritage Status for the Whitby Abbey headland. A proposal, put forward by Cllr Geoff Wilson, was discussed at the most recent meeting, but obstacles were raised by other councillo
Plans to convert Whitby’s harbourside tourist information centre into a restaurant and ice cream parlour have been discussed by councillors. Scarborough Borough Council is relocating the information centre to premises near the harbour as part of budget c
It's a sport played by wizards - but Muggles can try their hand at Quidditch in Leeds. A brand-new league based on the game, which features in the Harry Potter books, is recruiting players in the city. A franchise known as the Yorkshire Roses will compet
Students from Scarborough’s new University Technical College were helping to greet the Education Secretary at the official opening today of the hi-tech college at Weaponness. Justine Greening was being shown round by sponsors including North Yorkshire Co
By Jack Dinsley, 17 senior correspondent for Junior Gazette Samantha Kilsby is a Year 13 student who currently attends Carr Hill High School and Sixth Form Centre. When I last interviewed the student, she was progressing with her photography work but now
Shoppers are being allowed to return to Victoria Gate in Leeds following a bomb scare this morning. A suspicious package found nearby has now been declared safe. The item was discovered just after 8.30am on Harewood Street, close to the John Lewis store.
Has anybody ever said to you that you have a wonderful body? It’s not a chat up line I’ve ever used so I carry no scars. However, bodies are wonderful! What bodies am Italking about? All kinds! Take my car, for instance. The bodywork is the outer skin of
Producers of a TV show are looking for daring contestants to 'go to ground' in a bid to evade capture in 21st-century Britain. The team behind 2016's hit Channel Four series Hunted are recruiting a new set of fugitives for this year's challenge. In the s
Whitby Fishing School is again celebrating the achievements of four further students, who have successfully completed their Level 2 Diplomas in Maritime Studies – Sea Fishing Pathway. During the past 12 months, students Myles Hatfield, Shaun Topham, Rick
- 03:50 Man United staff fear star player had ‘too much too soon’: Jose...
- 03:50 China asks foreign diplomats for closer cooperation in anti-graft war
- 03:49 Eugenie Bouchard bows out of the Australian Open after three-set...
- 03:43 Gambia crisis: Jammeh given last chance to resign as troops close in
- 03:43 Trump inauguration protests: TEAR GAS deployed as THOUSANDS march...
- 03:43 BREAKING: 'At least 12' injured after 'out-of-control' car smashes...
- 03:37 'Thank you' - Ian Paisley's words to Martin McGuinness
- 03:35 Former Chelsea winger: I wasn’t happy at Stamford Bridge but I...
- 03:34 Car ploughs into pedestrians in Melbourne, police say
- 03:30 Army mutiny exposes cracks in Ivory Coast success story
- 03:24 Several people injured after car hits pedestrians in Australian...
- 03:17 Nikkei stays in a narrow range, on track for weekly losses
- 02:52 The perils of reporting on China's GDP
- 02:46 The Yorkshire GP who says we can think ourselves slim
- 02:44 UFC News: Coach on McGregor vs Mayeather, Woodley talks Diaz bout,...
- 02:37 China economy grows 6.7% in 2016
- 02:35 Baby boy delivered by mother in car near Aberdeen
- 02:23 'I'm a transgender woman - ask me your invasive questions'
- 02:18 Andy Murray vs Sam Querrey LIVE: Follow the action as the world No...
- 02:15 Corbyn to attack SNP budget plans in Glasgow speech
- 02:13 Leeds council pledges new crackdown on rogue private landlords as...
- 02:10 Who could Sir Andy Murray face in the Australian Open final after...
- 02:05 North Korea PREPARES MISSILES as US says it’s ‘READY’ for Trump...
- 02:03 Larsen ice crack continues to open up
- 02:03 Nottingham mulls 2023 European Capital of Culture bid
- 02:00 Leicester defender Luis Hernandez travels to Malaga ahead of...
- 01:48 Peter Jay: Four years of Trump will not vanquish real America
- 01:46 Man evicted from hospital for blocking bed for two years
- 01:43 Bain, Permira interested as Toshiba flags chip business stake sale...
- 01:41 Man killed by crocodile in Australia's Northern Territory