News from Whitby Gazette
People around the Whitby area got into the red nose spirit on Friday to help raise money for Comic Relief. At Hawsker School, children and staff dressed up to the theme of ‘make em’ laugh’ and everyone did just that, with a wide selection varying from ch
Following the success of the first Whitby Writers Group anthology in 2010 entitled: A Song for the Bees, 12 local authors join forces to publish a second anthology of their articles, poems and short stories. The anthology features the pick of those read
Yorkshire's Wentworth Woodhouse stately home has been saved with a £7m sale to a fundraising trust which plans to refurbish it into one of the region's top tourist attractions. It is estimated around £42 million of repairs will be needed over the next 15
THE gloriously sunny weekend weather is expected to make way for chillier, cloudy skies this week as a more unsettled period comes in from the Atantic. Here is our weather package with news from the Met office and coverage from Sky News, The BBC and the
A Whitby man has been handed a 12-month community order for illegally fishing for salmon and sea trout. William Arthur Elwick, 53, of Abbot’s Road, Whitby, must now carry out 240 hours of unpaid work after he was sentenced at Scarborough Magistrates’ Cou
It was an arrival that is fitting for such a landmark event. Royal Scot, which was the first in a new breed of steam locomotives when it was built 90 years ago, arrived at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway yesterday to help mark the line’s 50th anniversa
This week we are letting you in on a little secret on some of the more peculiar ways our keepers look after our animals. One, who has fascinated our guests and fellow staff is Tod, our dummy keeper. Tod is situated against the fence of the ‘Africa’ paddo
The two 17-year-old boys found dead at the bottom of a cliff in Saltburn have been named by police. The bodies have been identified as Harry Watson and Alex Yeoman. They were found by police officers at Huntcliff in Saltburn at around 7pm on Friday.night
The bodies of two 17-year-old boys have been found at the bottom of a cliff in Saltburn. Police officers and the coastguard were called to a report of a body being found at Huntcliff at just after 7pm on Friday night. The emergency services found the bod
THE nation will set their clocks forward by one hour this evening as we herald the start of British Summer Time... but tonight also sees the 10th year of Earth Hour. Here is what we know about these events this evening.
A Whitby nursery is celebrating after being rated as good in all areas in its latest Ofsted inspection. Louise and Charlotte Knight, who own The Wooden Horse chain, said they were delighted with the report, which was carried out at their site at East Whi
Fancy a go at this week’s Magpie fish dish? Here’s the recipe courtesy of chef Paul GIldroy. Ingredients 4 x 200g cod loin, 500g part boiled new potatoes (sliced), half an onion (thinly sliced), 3 sprigs parsley, 2 sprigs thyme, 4 sprigs tarragon, 2 spri
The annual exhibition and sale of original works of art by Whitby Art Society is to open a week tomorrow (Mar 31). The exhibition will be held at the Pannett Park Art Gallery, Whitby. The exhibition will feature a wide range of original artwork of a high
Temperatures could rival those of Tenerife this weekend as the cold snap gives way to warmer, sunnier weather across Yorkshire this weekend. Here is our weather package with news from the Met office and coverage from Sky News, The BBC and the Press Assoc
Everything that makes our city special was gloriously celebrated and showcased at the sixth annual Sights and Sounds of Ripon event on Saturday. With over 30 attractions and hundreds of visitors from across all age groups, Ripon’s community spirit was at
- 21:29 Aston Villa: Steve Bruce reveals how he escapes the pressures of...
- 21:29 MP Andrew Bridgen apologises after not declaring HS2 house sale
- 21:28 55-year-old woman's drunken antics on Mother's Day land her in court
- 21:28 House fire in Cumbria town
- 21:25 Lou Macari: Stoke City's next opponents and Keane brothers are...
- 21:25 Brazil shuts three more meat processing plants in bribery scandal
- 21:23 Racially abusive Tory councillor set to avoid party axe
- 21:22 Man United legend Sir Alex Ferguson: Liverpool and Man City make me...
- 21:22 Manchester United star Daley Blind sends heartfelt message to dad...
- 21:18 Customer labelled ‘weird freak’ on receipt after ordering child’s...
- 21:17 Praise for Countess of Chester Hospital's response to huge Wirral...
- 21:17 EastEnders spoilers: Catastrophe ahead as Bex Fowler exposes...
- 21:16 Jail for masked raiders who bound and gagged victims during burglary
- 21:16 Peter Cope takes on Neil Hepper in Hartlepool v Darlington derby
- 21:16 Liverpool's Dejan Lovren tells Jurgen Klopp to sign this star ahead...
- 21:16 Lewis Hamilton's new self-tailored training programme takes in...
- 21:16 Ivory Coast 1-1 Senegal: Liverpool star Sadio Mane scores before...
- 21:15 Change your routes plea to joggers after Cromford sex attack
- 21:14 Financials drag on Wall Street as Trump agenda weighed
- 21:13 Southampton star: This is what I really think about a summer move...
- 21:12 Man dies after crash on M42 between junctions 8 and 7a near Coleshill
- 21:10 Manchester United could be without seven first-team stars for West...
- 21:09 BT fined £42m in high-speed cables installation delay row
- 21:08 Brazil tribe gets compensation for plane crash over Amazon forest
- 21:06 Coronation Street SHOCK spoiler: Which Weatherfield resident tried...
- 21:04 Square Enix news: Final Fantasy 15 DLC update and Final Fantasy 7...
- 21:03 Which Derbyshire sites are among the UK’s most visited tourist...
- 21:02 After civilians killed in Mosul, Pentagon denies loosening rules
- 21:01 'I'd only just finished fixing boat' gutted in blaze at Burton Waters
- 21:00 ECB set to create new city-based T20 competition by 2020 to rival...