News from Wake Field Express
A quartet of Wakefield schoolgirls is set to reach for the stars tonight. Wakefield Girls High School pupils Georgia Hamblett, Francoise Nel, Emma Brightman and Himaja Sakhamuri are to appear on Stargazing Live on BBC 2 tonight (Wednesday) at 8pm. The Ye
animal lovers are going barking mad for this year’s Great British Dog Walk at Yorkshire Sculpture Park (YSP) on Sunday, April 2. The walk is one of 20 taking place around the UK in aid of the Hearing Dogs for Deaf People charity. Around 250 adults and mo
A consultation on plans to charge people for permits to park outside their own homes will launch next month. Wakefield Council is proposing to introduce fees for the residential parking permits, claiming it no longer has the resources to subsidise the sc
Coca-Cola and the PSNI have launched an investigation after a shipment of drinks cans were found to have been contaminated with what workers are speculating could be human waste, according to reports. The incident led to speculation from the source that
Inconsiderate motorists who are mounting kerbs and parking on the pavement could be soon face a £70 fine. Laws allowing local authorities to ban pavement parking in London should be rolled out across the country to crack down on motorists endangering liv
An eagle-eyed builder rescued a scared dog from its kennel after a blaze broke out nearby. Officers from the Batley and Spen NPT said they attended the fire at Bridge Street in Birstall on Tuesday afternoon. They said the fire, which started with garden
Cold callers, self-service checkouts and hand-wash only clothes are among life’s biggest wastes of time, according to a new survey. Caffeine-free tea and coffee, automated telephone systems, soap operas and TV ads also feature in the top 50 list. Social
Marks and Spencer is recalling its Chicken and Vegetable Soup as a precautionary measure over fears of contamination. The 600g packs have been withdrawn because of a taint caused by possible chemical contamination. The product in question has a sell-by d
Members of Amazon’s Prime programme will be able to get priority access to live music, following the online retail giant’s announcement of ‘Entertainment Experiences’, tying in with its Amazon Tickets platform. Subscribers to the Prime service - which co
The number of fly-tipping incidents in the Wakefield district has fallen by more than a fifth, latest council figures have revealed. Between November 2016 and February 2017 the council received 1,145 reports of fly-tipping - a 22 per cent drop in cases c
With the cost of fuel an ever-present concern for the UK’s motorists, making even the smallest savings can boost the household budget. And while purchasing a fuel-efficient car will help, there are several simple methods to lower your running costs, as s
NHS England is to launch a consultation next month which could see GPs stop prescribing medicines which are available over the counter for a fraction of the cost. Gluten-free foods, prescriptions for hayfever tablets, indigestion remedies and omega 3 sup
Facebook has introduced a camera feature to its native app for the first time as the social networking giant continues to challenge photo app Snapchat. Facebook has already added a camera feature called “Stories” to its WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook M
Animal cruelty statistics revealed by the RSPCA show that West Yorkshire tops a league of shame for the number of people convicted of harming pets and wildlife. The charity today released its annual figures for the number of complaints it has investigate
Traffic is building into Wakefield following an accident in the city. Reports are coming in of a collision on Wentworth Street and traffic is slowed in both directions. It happened close to Wakefield Girls High School.
- 18:19 Believe in democracy? This is YOUR chance to quiz West Midlands...
- 18:17 WATCH: Schools dance for Comic Relief
- 18:15 Boy with rare disability learns to walk in a month with help of...
- 18:15 Mesut Ozil admits his family would prefer him to leave Arsenal in...
- 18:15 See inside this amazing manor house with an orangery fit for a...
- 18:15 Tim Farron: The North East will be hit hardest by Brexit - so you...
- 18:15 Gateshead's historic old Town Hall put up for sale by cash-strapped...
- 18:15 Emmerdale spoilers: Moira and Cain Dingle grow close again as she...
- 18:15 Co-op supermarket shelves left bare due to 'availability issues'
- 18:15 Meet Bomber - Nottinghamshire's top dog for search missions
- 18:15 Couple who met during Second World War celebrate 70th wedding...
- 18:14 New York Red Bulls re-sign Man City product Bradley Wright-Phillips...
- 18:14 Woman charged with grievous bodily harm in Burton
- 18:14 Vauxhall drops FA home nations football sponsorship deals
- 18:14 Vue to screen exclusive new episodes of Peter Kay's Car Share this...
- 18:14 Kasabian star Chris Edwards hands over thousands to charity in...
- 18:13 How EU countries view Britain’s triggering of Article 50
- 18:13 Tunisian former PM Jomaa launches 'non-ideological' political party
- 18:13 France's Macron on course to win presidency - Elabe poll
- 18:13 Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha will have the final say on his Scottish...
- 18:12 Circus trainer attacked by lions in terrifying video
- 18:10 Retired vicar to wed male model 54 years his junior
- 18:10 Schoolchildren donate flag after Union Jack stolen from Bomber...
- 18:10 Return of council’s big clean-up programme
- 18:09 Wirral community rocked as "best buddy" pays tribute to alleged...
- 18:09 Busy Cumbria road closed following bus crash
- 18:08 Weaverham plumber to run London Marathon in tribute to veteran...
- 18:08 Ex-Corrie star from Cuddington lands role in Hollyoaks
- 18:08 Head teacher in training for 32.6-mile walk to work
- 18:07 Paul Scholes: This is what I think of Manchester United’s top four...