News from Wake Field Express
West Yorkshire’s former Chief Constable racked up more than £19,000 in travel costs in the 15 months before he retired from the force, new figures have revealed. The total for Mark Gilmore’s car hire, flights, rail travel, accommodation and conference fe
POLICE are appealing for the public's help to trace a wanted man who has been charged with a number of sex offences. Officers have released a photograph of Wakefield man Carl Hartley, 25, who is wanted for breaching his court bail conditions after being
Trains are set to grind to a hall during a three-day strike by staff at Arriva Rail North. The RMT union said the industrial action would be held on from Saturday, July 8, in a long-running dispute over staffing and driver-only trains. The union wants a
The University Centre at Wakefield College is celebrating after being given a silver award by the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) panel - introduced by the Government to recognise and reward excellent teaching in higher education. The panel said the
Proposals to relocate a sports complex to build 171 homes on the existing site have finally been given the go-ahead this week. The planning committee at Wakefield Council unanimously voted to approve the demolition of the facilities at West Yorkshire Spo
The top ten finalists for the Express Curry House of the Year 2017 competition have been revealed. Now we need you to choose your favourite restaurant and decide which one is crowned the winner. The finalists are: 1. Arooje Spice, Market Street, Normanto
A rare bird usually found in southern and eastern Europe has hatched chicks for the first time in Northern England. A spoonbill family has set up home in the Wakefield district at the RSPB’s Fairburn Ings reserve. The large white heron-like bird get its
Building work has started on a £900,000 cultural arts centre at Theatre Royal Wakefield. Derelict land next to the theatre will be transformed into a cafe-bar and studio as part of the Centre for Creativity project, designed to boost audiences and revenu
The election is finally done and I need to say a huge thank you. It is a real honour to be re-elected as MP for Normanton, Pontefract, Castleford and Knottingley - I am really grateful for all the support I’ve had. It’s also been great to see more Labour
Fashion and textiles students have been strutting their stuff on the catwalk. The Wakefield College students showed off their their final year pieces at a summer fashion show in The Ridings’ new middle mall events space. The show also featured summer loo
It’s been the hottest day in June since 1976 today (Wednesday) but the Met Office has now issued a yellow warning for heavy downpours. With the current heatwave set to finish this week and thunderstorms sparking a potential risk of flooding, the RSPCA ha
The new chief executive of Wakefield Council has taken up her post. Merran McRae was appointed to the £170,000-a-year role after previous Wakefield boss Joanne Roney left to join Manchester city Council. Ms McRae was previously chief executive at Calderd
No individuals were at fault leading up to the death of a grandmother who died after being impaled by a tree branch during high winds in Wakefield, a jury inquest ruled. Elaine Davison, of Pontefract, suffered fatal injuries when she was pierced through
Fire chiefs in West Yorkshire are highlighting the dangers of swimming in open water after a teenager died at a reservoir. West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS) is warning that despite seeming like a good way to cool off on hot days, the shock o
The heatwave is set to come to an end today with the warm air creating dramatic thunderstorms. Temperatures will jump up again from yesterday to around 26C before lightning, hail and torrential rain signal an end to the hot spell. The isolated thundersto
- 06:13 Nicola Sturgeon accused of 'going rogue' after picking fight with...
- 06:13 'Real misery is being caused to no good purpose' High Court judge...
- 06:13 Tories may sink as fast as fishermen's hope after Ian Duncan's...
- 06:10 Brian Wilson: The SNP are great at asking for your views – but...
- 06:10 Experimental bone growth treatment saves dog’s leg
- 06:10 Pupils taught to help classmates at risk of ‘honour’ violence
- 06:07 Being Donald Trump: the life of an impersonator
- 06:06 Birmingham Live: Breaking news, travel and weather across the...
- 06:06 Games Inbox: Sega Forever concerns, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy...
- 06:06 Prince Harry: No one wants to be king or queen
- 06:05 SE Asia Stocks-Largely flat; Thailand hits over 2-mth high
- 06:06 Sheffield faces £41m shortfall for flood protection schemes
- 06:05 Friend of former South Korea leader jailed for three years - Yonhap
- 06:05 Burton MP Andrew Griffiths to start big 10k race in Marchington
- 06:02 Kylian Mbappe to PSG: £119m bid made for Monaco striker - report
- 06:02 Excitement builds for Strictly return
- 06:02 Real Madrid News: Cristiano Ronaldo requests Gelson Martins...
- 06:02 Arsenal closing in on Alexandre Lacazette: £50m deal could trigger...
- 06:01 5 reasons why Rotherhithe is the best place to live in London
- 06:01 DW Fitness confirm wages will be paid to staff after suspected...
- 06:01 Gold mark for Lancashire’s `high quality’ universities
- 06:01 New date set for sentencing of Derby rapist Ilija High
- 06:01 Funding pot of up to £5,000 open for youth groups in South Holland...
- 05:59 Stanfield dad-of-five stole from vending machines after breaking...
- 05:59 Snapchat's new map feature prompts warning to parents over privacy
- 05:59 Culture Club: Global phenomenon of urban sketching arrives in...
- 05:59 Crewe Crane Collapse: Investigation continues after two workers...
- 05:59 DEAL DONE: Paperchase to open first Stoke-on-Trent branch at...
- 05:59 For sale: Arson-hit Station Hotel in Meir to go under hammer with...
- 05:59 WANTED: North Staffs pottery workers to work in Devon - and you get...