News from Sunderland Echo
Northumbria Police are appealing for information to help find missing Boldon woman Ann Stewart. The 60-year-old from Winslow Close, Boldon Colliery, was last seen around 11am on Saturday, December 3. She left her home address for a morning walk and faile
Alan Shearer has urged footballers to come forward with allegations of sexual abuse. The former England and Newcastle caption Shearer said he was "shocked and deeply saddened" by recent revelations and appealed for victims to contact the...
Battling youngster Bradley Lowery took the time to wish everyone in the region a Merry Christmas as switched on Durham County Council’s festive lights. The 5-year-old, who is battling cancer neuroblastoma for a second time, was dealt another health blow
A Wearside couple have revealed their “nightmare” after they were wrongly suspected of abusing their baby daughter after taking her to hospital. Amy Agnew, 24, and Steven Gardener, 32, took their eight-week old daughter Scarlett Gardener to Sunderland Ro
Sunderland has remembered its punk roots with the launch of a British Library exhibition in the city. Punk 1976-78 started with a bang last night at Sunderland Museum, Library & Winter Gardens - with performances from 1977 and Loudmouth setting...
Sunderland's main post office was closed this morning after Royal Mail staff walked out as past of an ongoing dispute. Members of the Communication Workers Union and Unite staged action on one of the busiest days of the year, mounting picket lines across
Two brothers who have spent years pounding the pavements to raise funds for charity have been nominated for a Best of Wearside Award. Youngsters Loghan, 12, and Hayden MacDonald, nine, have made it their annual mission to raise hundreds of pounds for wor
Black Cats fans face delays on their way to the match, with problems on the Tyne and Wear Metro. No services are currently running between Park Lane and South Hylton due to a failed train. There is no information yet on when services will resume. Sunderl
The family of a popular dad gunned down outside his takeaway say they have been left with a huge financial loss after his murder. Tipu Sultan, 32, was shot dead outside his family-run business Herbs & Spice Kitchen in April 2015. That cold-blooded...
Police are hunting three masked robbers armed with planks of wood who attacked two elderly residents in their own home. The men targeted a property in Bailey Rise, Peterlee at around 9pm last night. After barging their way into the property the robbers d
A Wearside care home remains in special measures after it was again rated inadequate by watchdogs. Inspectors from the Care Quality Commision (CQC) visited Donwell House, in Washington, in October to follow up on a previous inspection in March, when it w
Battling youngster Bradley Lowery lit up peoples’ hearts with his cheeky smile as he turned on Durham County Council’s Christmas lights. The five-year-old, who is battling cancer neuroblastoma for a second time, was joined by Santa and Durham County Coun
Exmoor ponies look set make a return to Cleadon Hills after their munching mission proved a success. The horses were first drafted in as part of a pilot to manage the grazing of the local nature reserve. Now a South Tyneside Council committee will hear t
The Government's new Brexit watchdog is coming to Sunderland. The cross-party Committee on Exiting the EU will be on Wearside on Thursday to hold its first public evidence hearing away from Westminster. The hearing will form part of the Committee’s inqui
Police are appealing for information to help find a Hartlepool man who has gone missing from home. Darren Joseph Jack, 28, left an address on Wordsworth Avenue in Hartlepool at 10:30am yesterday, Thursday, December 1. Darren was last seen wearing a navy
- 20:29 Arsenal officially congratulate Jack Wilshere for helping...
- 20:25 Crystal Palace 3-0 Southampton
- 20:20 YOUR VIEW: We deserve a lot better from BT
- 20:18 Trump vows 35% tax for US firms that move jobs overseas
- 20:17 WATCH: Second World War veteran tells his incredible story of...
- 20:13 France's Amundi likely winner in bid for UniCredit's Pioneer - sources
- 20:13 California warehouse fire death toll rises to 24
- 20:11 Let there be lights – and lasers – at Hogmanay tribute to 70th...
- 20:10 A far-right populist has just lost the Austrian presidential election
- 20:10 GALLERY: Festive extravaganza in Dalton for Christmas lights switch-on
- 20:09 Strictly dance-off scare as pair foxtrot into semi-final
- 20:09 Everton finally showed the aggression Ronald Koeman wants from them...
- 20:06 Blues legend: This Chelsea star has got his mojo back... he stunned...
- 20:01 Win a Wedding couple tie the knot in Derby
- 20:01 Police officer who put the wrong fuel in vehicle is sacked for...
- 19:58 Marouane Fellaini gets the Twitter treatment after Manchester...
- 19:54 Kerry says would be valuable for Trump to seek advice before calls
- 19:50 Hull City's David Marshall excited to be sharing field with...
- 19:50 Middlesbrough v Hull City match preview, team news, betting tips...
- 19:49 Police close Northumberland road after accident
- 19:49 Trial of Bosnian Serb commander Mladic enters final stage
- 19:48 Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius 'transmits anxiety' through...
- 19:45 Edward VIII would’ve been a ‘useless king’, claims historian
- 19:45 British actor Tony Gardner contracts Zika virus
- 19:45 Name and opening date unveiled for new housing estate on eye former...
- 19:45 BT ‘must improve customer service for broadband users’
- 19:45 Iceland and Iceland at a stalemate over trademark dispute
- 19:44 Sebastian Vettel denies he's in pole position to replace F1...
- 19:41 Polzeath holidaymaker dies after being pulled from sea
- 19:40 Far-right candidate beaten in Austrian presidential vote