News from Sunderland Echo
A health and social care programme will help Sunderland look after itself more effectively by bringing together a wide range of organisations to co-ordinate self-care in the city. All Together Better Sunderland, an NHS ‘vanguard’ that is developing new w
Motorists are warned to expect snowfall later this week as temperatures fall later this week. The Met Office has issued a yellow warning for snow in County Durham on Thursday. Snow is expected over high ground with 5 to 10cm expected on some hills and 10
Motorists in Newcastle and Sunderland spent five days of their lives stuck in traffic last year, a study has found. The depressing figure has been revealed by traffic analysts TomTom, which found the UK is the second-most-congested country in the world,
Margot Robbie, star of The Wolf of Wall Street and Suicide Squad has taken a midnight race around Monaco as she is confirmed as the new face of Nissan electric cars and zero emissions. Robbie tested the Nissan BladeGlider - which can top 100kph in less t
The Shields Ferry is back in service after it was suspended due to bad weather. The boat between South Shields and North Shields was out of action yesterday because of high winds, with a replacement bus service put in operation. The service is now back i
An NHS group is backing awards which look to honour outstanding individuals in the medical profession. NHS Sunderland Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is sponsoring the Sunderland Echo and Shields Gazette Best of Health Awards. David Gallagher, chief o
A school’s champion effort to help its teenagers discover their independence through good turns has made it a winner. The Academy at Shotton Hall in Peterlee has been named as a National Citizen Service (NCS) Champion School. We are really proud to take
Police have uncovered the remnants of a drugs farm at a house on Wearside. Officers were called after two men were seen breaking into a property on Front Road, in Ford Estate, on Monday night. Police then found the remains of what appears to be a cannabi
Sunderland’s biggest taxi firm is offering the chance for wheels after meals, with a discount for diners during Restaurant Week. Station Tazis has got behind the initiative, organised by Sunderland’s Business Improvement District, by branding up some of
I’ve started watching a new TV series this week ... Lucky Man. It stars James Nesbitt as a detective with a gambling addiction. I’m totally hooked on it at the moment. Anyway, that’s what I want to talk to you about today, addiction. Not a gambling addic
Tributes have been left at the roadside where a cyclist died, after being hit by a car. Stuart Price from Murton, died after being involved in a collison with a black Jaguar car in Colliery Lane, next to the junction with Murton Lane, near Easington Lane
A team of students from a Peterlee school have won through to the 2017 F1 in Schools STEM Challenge National Finals. The pupils were successful at the north east regional final of the prestigious competition. Byron Sixth Form College team Technically Vir
The moving pictures and the kind words say it all. Each is from a grateful parent whose child survived their first days in the world against the odds. Some babies are as little as 500 grammes - the same weight as two cups of sugar. But thanks to the neo-
A construction academy which has helped 37 young people into employment has won the backing of its local MP. The mock facility in Peterlee features a forklift truck training area and a replica building site where students can hone their skills. It was de
Metro passengers are being warned to leave plenty of time for their journey due to delays this morning. There is currently a delay of up to 15 minutes to trains running between Pelaw and the Airport and The Coast. This is being caused by train faults. Pe
- 16:53 Car on fire after crash with lorry on M40 near Warwick services
- 16:53 Former head teacher charged with sexual offences against adults
- 16:53 Prestatyn grandfather stepped in front of train to end torture of...
- 16:53 Take part in charity Swimathon at Melton Waterfield Leisure Centre
- 16:52 Prince Harry draws crowds to Newcastle's Quayside on whirlwind visit
- 16:52 Bridgen calls for Trump apology from House of Commons speaker John...
- 16:52 Was James Bond caught parking illegally in Leicester?
- 16:52 Liverpool plot shock move for £18m West Ham star: Jurgen Klopp has...
- 16:52 MP’s support for councillor
- 16:52 A secret floor, a chauffeur-driven Tesla and exclusive ocean views:...
- 16:52 Tourist in Thailand faces up to a year in prison for 'feeding...
- 16:52 Xbox Scorpio NEWS: Microsoft makes plans for FLASHY new dashboard
- 16:52 Wheel-y neat: Tube-style map reveals how London's web of cycle...
- 16:52 Deadpool 2 news: Rumoured Domino star Kerry Washington RESPONDS to...
- 16:52 You can marry a dog in India and identify as a dragon in Russia:...
- 16:51 Three-car crash causes delays on the A52
- 16:51 Renault unveil 2017 F1 car for the new season that Britain's Jolyon...
- 16:50 Chart-topping American hip-hop star confirms Nottingham date on...
- 16:50 Which Nottingham pub has become a weddings venue?
- 16:49 Challenge Cup draw ‘a real challenge’ for Coventry Bears
- 16:49 Firm enjoys sweet taste of success
- 16:49 Stargazers set to benefit from new observatory in Kielder
- 16:49 Vile Doncaster paedophile jailed for raping young teenager who fell...
- 16:48 On The Wildside
- 16:48 Searching for the lost village of Bunkle
- 16:48 Berwickshire High School reunion planned
- 16:47 Man proposes to girlfriend with beautiful poem tattooed on...
- 16:47 Fleetwood MP inspires students during visit to Rossall
- 16:47 Concert tomorrow to promote folk singer’s new album
- 16:47 Pensioner who died after being hit by a taxi "will be sadly missed"