News from Sunderland Echo
Sunderland fans had to run a gauntlet of threats and intimidation as they left the London Stadium after their last-gasp 1-0 defeat yesterday by West Ham United, it has been claimed. Posts on social media have reported that small groups of visiting fans -
A literary pilgrimage from Sunderland has reached the final stage of its journey. The Children’s Codex, produced by pupils from schools in Sunderland and Jarrow, has arrived in Rome and will be presented to Pope Francis at the Vatican on Wednesday by a d
A Sunderland family has paid an emotional tribute to a courageous little girl who made it her mission to raise thousands for charity while battling health problems that sadly claimed her life. Described as ‘inspirational’ by those who knew her, two-year-
Many people consider them a pleasant addition to an autumn skyline. Others, however, aren’t so complimentary when their sleep is disturbed as they noisily fly over their rooftops in formation. For motorists using the A690 between Sunderland and Durham an
The coroner at an inquest into the death of a prisoner found hanged in her cell days after she gave birth said the hearing had revealed "a series of very serious matters". Michelle Barnes, 33, was serving a two-year sentence for drugs...
Sunderland striker Victor Anichebe was the laughing stock of the social media world today when he made a big blunder on Twitter. The 28-year-old Nigerian international has only featured fleetingly for the Black Cats since signing on a one-year deal in Se
A serial flasher had been put behind bars for exposing himself to lone women on late night buses. Gary Norman told a teenage student "that is for you, gorgeous" after masturbating beside her on the upper deck of the number 21 from Gateshead...
Three of South Tyneside’s prettiest places have been put on the ‘at risk’ list by a campaign group. Conservation Areas in Whitburn, Cleadon and East Boldon have been added to the Historic England’s Heritage at Risk Register, which was published today. Th
Battling Bradley Lowery went back to school after his latest bout of chemotherapy. The five-year-old spent the afternoon at Blackhall Colliery Primary School with the rest of his Year 1 classmates. Bradley, from Blackhall, has not been to school since th
An internet pervert who turned up to meet a 13-year-old girl he had chatted to online found himself confronted by paedophile hunters. Unemployed Steven McCarthy believed he had been talking to an underage schoolgirl on Facebook and arranged to meet her a
Business Secretary Greg Clark has set out a £4million plan to boost the number of electric vehicles on the UK's roads as he met Japanese automotive chiefs in an effort to reassure them about Brexit. The electric vehicle scheme will allow firms to receive
Police investigating the murder of Jodie Wilkinson have today charged a man with her murder. The 27-year-old died on Monday after being stabbed in the street. She and a 25-year-old man were in Stanhope Street in the Arthur's Hill area of Newcastle shortl
Teaching assistants in Durham have voted overwhelmingly to strike over cuts. Durham teaching assistant members of the Assocation of Teachers and Lecturers, ATL, are in a long running battle with Durham County Council over planned cuts to their pay. Durha
Two hotels and a university are among the pick of the region’s tourism businesses going head-to-head. The shortlist for the North East England Tourism Awards has been announced today and sees Seaham Hall nominated in the Business Tourism Award, while Ram
A pioneering new lab in Sunderland is set to revive patient care in the region. England’s leading nurse, Professor Lisa Bayliss-Pratt, travelled to the city to launch the new Living Lab facility at Sunderland University. Sunderland is breaking new ground
- 08:02 Friends affected by cancer 28 times between them band together to...
- 08:01 Blighted lives: The true cost of diabetes
- 08:01 UK banks fear public, politicians set against them on Brexit
- 08:00 Celtic face a far bigger test against Aberdeen than they did...
- 08:00 Celtic defeated Rangers but the Betfred Cup semi final was marred...
- 08:00 Fire Service’s warning after chimney fire at Lincolnshire home
- 07:58 Tom Hayden, famous anti-Vietnam war activist, dies aged 76
- 07:57 Halloween 2016: Family and kids things to do in Birmingham and beyond
- 07:57 It's time to deliver for gay victims of injustice, says Kezia Dugdale
- 07:57 World Wrestling stars set to take-over Grimsby Auditorium
- 07:56 Phil Jones likes Instagram post trolling Jose Mourinho after...
- 07:53 Liverpool title doubt: West Brom midfielder gives Reds a reality check
- 07:52 Investigation launched after woman raped following Sheffield taxi ride
- 07:50 Grimsby Town must end speculation over manager - OPINION
- 07:50 Chris Doig wants quick end to Grimsby Town manager saga
- 07:50 Proud Grimbarian who sang solo at St Paul's Cathedral was...
- 07:49 Humberside Police using unmarked HGV to catch drivers on their...
- 07:49 On the frontline with Yorkshire Ambulance Service's Red Arrest Team
- 07:49 Transgender people tell their fascinating and heartbreaking stories...
- 07:49 How taxi driver saw a purse in the road and saved a Hull woman's...
- 07:49 Hull KR's Kieran Moran hoping for Four Nations debut
- 07:49 Mike Phelan accepts Hull City confidence is crumbling
- 07:49 Hull thief Benjamin Barnes' £40k splurge on Rolex, Disneyland and a...
- 07:49 GSK seeks U.S. approval for shingles vaccine Shingrix
- 07:49 Hull woman 'feared she was going to die' at hands of ex Jamie Bamforth
- 07:49 Contested Weldon homes plan ‘could unlock £500,000 of sports...
- 07:47 Travel, traffic and weather for Burton and South Derbyshire on...
- 07:46 Ben Stokes inspires England to victory in first Bangladesh Test
- 07:46 Adam Lallana: Playmaker provides Anfield update after reaching...
- 07:46 Expert explains why David Luiz wasn't sent off in Chelsea's 4-0 win...