News from Sunday Sun
Driving with the wrong kind of shoes could make you lose control of the car. That’s the warning to Geordie drivers from motoring organisations worried that summer, when it eventually comes, could make us chose inappropriate footwear. Tearing down the A19
Faecal bacteria has been found in ice samples taken from three major coffee chains. A BBC Watchdog investigation uncovered ice contaminated with human poo bacteria at Costa, Starbucks and Caffe Nero. Researchers tested samples from 30 coffee chain branch
The Northumberland Plate is one of the highlights of the North East’s social calendar but will the weather match the race day glamour? Newcastle Racecourse will host three days of racing from Thursday, with the Northumberland Plate Festival expected to d
Evil murderer Zahid Zaman must serve a minimum of 33 years behind bars for torturing vulnerable Jimmy Prout to death in a sadistic campaign of monstrous abuse. Zaman was the “dictator” of a cult-like group of misfits and the driving force behind a series
One was a decent young man out for a couple of pints to celebrate Christmas, the other a sly coward with a knife down his sock which he was willing to use to deadly effect. When the worlds of teenager Owen Kerry and “old school charver” Brian Cahill and
A murder accused confessed to flatmates he’d “stabbed someone in the neck” just hours after the killing, a jury was told. Daniel Johnson is alleged to have stabbed stranger David Wilson seven times as he lay in bed in his flat in Southwick, in Sunderland
A construction firm has said there are immediate no plans to strip flammable Grenfell Tower-style cladding from a soon-to-open block of student flats. The Shield apartments are set to open on Clarence Street, Shieldfield, ahead of the new academic year i
Blocks of modern student flats close to St James’ Park were built using the same flammable cladding partly blamed for the Grenfell Tower fire’s devastating impact. ChronicleLive understands the St James’ Point development is panelled with Reynobond PE, a
The third Northern Powerhouse Minister in less than 12 months arrived in the region on Tuesday and said Theresa May had tasked him with re-invigorating it. Less than two weeks into the job, Jake Berry faced criticism of it being a ‘concept without conten
Geordie holidaymakers were no doubt disappointed when their flight to Menorca got diverted - to Manchester. Jet2 flight LS373 from Newcastle International Airport had to make the impromptu trip to the city after a “technical issue” with the aircraft. How
Thousands of shoes excavated from a Roman fort site are much more than a mere footnote to history. The 7,000 shoes from Vindolanda, Northumberland, help to reveal the make up of the population of the base on Hadrian’s Wall. “We can work out broadly how m
Jurors in the trial of a couple accused of murdering teenager Owen Kerry on Christmas Eve have retired to consider their verdicts. Prosecutors say Brian Cahill stabbed the 19-year-old in the abdomen in a Cramlington social club. It is alleged Cahill’s gi
Where were the Harry Potter films shot? The North East connections to the world's most famous wizard
It has been 20 years since Harry Potter and the magical world of Hogwarts entered our lives. J.K Rowling’s breakthrough book Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone was published two decades ago this week, starting an obsession which has spawned books,
Looking for a summer job in Newcastle? The Metro is hiring and it could lead to a permanent position
A recruitment drive by Metro bosses will bring over 30 new summer jobs, and the possibility of permanent posts. If a job on the Metro seems like it might be for you, you could be in luck, as Nexus, which runs the system, is taking on 32 new staff, in pre
The biggest shake-up of the driving test for decades has been unveiled with learner drivers having to safely use sat navs. As well as bringing learner drivers up-to-date with new technology to pass the test, other major changes will brought in. They incl
- 13:27 FA, Sheffield Wednesday PLC and South Yorkshire Ambulance Service...
- 13:26 Martin Keown: Jack Wilshere will get a new Arsenal deal but it...
- 13:26 New scheme to speed up muscular appointments
- 13:26 Prime Minister praises Hillsborough families for campaign for justice
- 13:25 What is austerity?
- 13:24 YP Comment: The Hillsborough fight for justice – and how it can...
- 13:24 The pint-puller that's better than a bartender! Students create a...
- 13:23 The latest store to open at Bullring revealed
- 13:23 German fiscal plans include provisions for possible ECB rate hikes...
- 13:23 General Election 2017 result has caused 'collapse' in consumer...
- 13:22 Campaign week for Erb’s palsy
- 13:22 Liverpool target Naby Keita admits he wants to join Manchester City
- 13:22 Scots version of Harry Potter to be published
- 13:22 SO Fest performances in Horncastle relocate to Stanhope Hall due to...
- 13:21 Hillsborough: What the six defendants are accused of
- 13:20 Rare bee-eater birds seen at Nottinghamshire sand quarry
- 13:20 Mileposts project nears completion
- 13:20 Tributes paid to 17-year-old girl 'angel' Saffron Pickering
- 13:20 Appeal to find teen last seen outside Nottinghamshire supermarket
- 13:20 Get your free Herald bottle of water at Stratford River Festival
- 13:20 PICTURE: Cute little kestrel chicks are laid at Conisbrough Castle
- 13:20 Manchester United forward Anthony Martial responds to Old Trafford...
- 13:19 Three-year sentence for spice dealer given a second chance
- 13:19 Michael Bond, creator of Paddington bear, dies at 91
- 13:19 Debris causes delays
- 13:19 Fun event assault and theft probe by police
- 13:19 Ramadan event helps victims of terror outrage
- 13:19 Korean nuclear firm to be 'long-term partner' in Cumbria
- 13:19 Popular Paul to get public send-off
- 13:19 First birthday joy for miracle twin sisters