News from Stamford Mercury
A 24-hour squash marathon is being held to raise funds for a mother-of-two who has been confined to a wheelchair after suffering a brain aneurysm. Organised by Stamford Squash Club, it is hoped the event will raise £10,000 for Petra Landeweerd, 44 – who
Former police officer Virginia Moran won a seat on Market Deeping Town Council following a by-election on Thursday last week. Miss Moran was the only candidate who lives in Market Deeping. She is a former police officer who now works as a credit controll
An ambitious proposal to install a new pedestrian footbridge over the River Welland could become a reality later this year. The project – which would create a new link between Deeping St James on the Lincolnshire side of the river and land between Peakir
Seven-year-old Phoebe Moyes-Alwin has just donated 13 inches of her hair to a charity which makes wigs for youngsters who are undergoing cancer treatments. The kind-hearted Bourne Westfield Academy pupil heard about The Little Princess Trust at school tw
Plans are underway to celebrate this year as the 50th anniversary of Stamford being designated the UK’s first ever urban conservation area. Community groups, local organisations and businesses are invited to a meeting at 10.30am on Tuesday at Stamford Ar
The Rutland and Stamford Mercury, Rutland Times and The Local newspapers are now under the new ownership of Iliffe Media. The family-owned independent publisher completed the acquisition of 13 newspaper titles and their associated websites and editions f
People who care for loved-ones in South Lincolnshire are being urged not to neglect their own health this winter. GPs at South Lincolnshire Clinical Commissioning Group are sending a message to carers that it’s only by looking after their own health that
A programme which aims to reduce re-offending has grown to involve 54 offenders who have committed 2,470 crimes in Lincolnshire during their lifetimes and cost victims and the criminal justice system more than £6.9 million. Assisting Rehabilitation throu
A person or gang stole a large toolbox from a garage in Church Street, Baston, after getting in through the main door. It happened overnight between 11pm on Tuesday, January 10, and 7am the following day. Anyone with information about the burglary should
Market Deeping and District Neighbourhood Policing Panel holds its next meeting in Deeping St James on Monday at 7pm. It takes place at The Open Door Church in Spalding Road, starting with a 30-minute public open forum. People from the area can raise con
As fears of violence in The Gambia grow following a disputed presidental election, 10 wildlife enthusiasts from the Rutland Ospreys team are preparing to fly home from the small west African nation. President Yahya Jammeh declared a 90-day state of emerg
Let your partner (or someone you’d like to be your Valentine) know how you feel with a FREE Valentine’s message in the Rutland and Stamford Mercury. Messages will appear in the newspaper on Friday, February 10 – which gives your loved one time to plan so
A nanny has had 13 inches of her hair cut off to donate to a charity which makes wigs for children suffering from cancer. Gemma Roberts, 26, of Fen Field Mews, Deeping St James, paid a visit to The End hair salon in West Street, Bourne, last week and sta
Take a look around your office. If a new study is to be believed, 35 per cent of your colleagues have taken a nap on the job and got away with it. And only 12 per cent say they have had been disciplined by their boss for sleeping at work. The study, with
The identity of a woman who tragically died in a house fire in Rutland earlier this month has been released. The office of HM Coroner for Rutland and North Leicestershire today named the victim as 47-year-old Antonia Fleur Liddle. It is believed she was
- 20:16 Spotted: Nathaniel Clyne snapped in Liverpool training after...
- 20:15 Big fundraising effort for youth group
- 20:15 BETHANY HILL TRIAL PROSECUTION SUMMARY: A sadistic killing for...
- 20:14 The Day After Tomorrow: What happened to lead actress Emmy Rossum?
- 20:10 Barron Trump yawns during father's inauguration after sleepy...
- 20:09 Taiwan's president tweets congratulations to Trump
- 20:09 Italy prosecutor asks for jail sentences for five S&P managers
- 20:08 Partner accused of killing children's author Helen Bailey before...
- 20:08 Everton say Gerard Deulofeu hasn't moved to AC Milan despite...
- 20:06 Erin Cross's name chanted by Britain's Got Talent audience
- 20:06 Five things you might have missed in North Wales: January 20, 2017
- 20:05 Burton dad stole from Clipper work colleagues to fund Christmas
- 20:04 Give rugby a try at Halifax Ladies RUFC open training session
- 20:04 Eric Lichaj hopes Nottingham Forest fans' protest does not 'get too...
- 20:04 Fans' protest will not affect Nottingham Forest players' focus,...
- 20:02 Arsenal legend Lee Dixon aims dig at Arsene Wenger as Steven...
- 20:01 Coronation Street birth crisis ahead for Leanne Tilsley – after...
- 19:59 Resident Evil 7 Experience LIVE in UK: Review and top survival tips
- 19:59 BETHANY HILL MURDER TRIAL LATEST: No evidence that Woods...
- 19:59 Trump trade strategy starts with quitting Asia pact -White House
- 19:58 Haiti's president-elect hit with money laundering allegation
- 19:56 Mum writes directly to Derby City Council leader Ranjt Banwait...
- 19:56 BREAKING: Major fire at 'former Doncaster Bloodstock Sales'
- 19:56 Melania Trump left red-faced after awkward encounter with Michelle...
- 19:55 The ultimate weekend getaways: 8 European hotspots you can fly to...
- 19:53 Coventry Bees get 24-hour extension to Brandon Stadium speedway...
- 19:52 Granit Xhaka: This is the real reason for my improved Arsenal form
- 19:51 US Army finally selects a new handgun maker after TEN YEAR search...
- 19:51 Nigel Farage hired by Fox News as a political analyst
- 19:51 The 'Hannibal Lecter' effect is a MYTH: Researchers find true...