News from Stamford Mercury
A couple who left the hustle and bustle of Birmingham to retire in Rutland are about to celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary. Derek and Dorothy Robinson, who moved to Lodge Park, Langham, in 2004, were married on March 30, 1957 at St James’ Church
The boss of one of Stamford’s best-loved businesses is preparing to step down after 20 years and hand over the reins to two colleagues. Christine Bradshaw, who founded Sukie’s Party Emporium in February 1997 with friend Sue Wade, is planning to retire an
Lincolnshire County Council could be one of the only councils in England and Wales to not be a member of the Local Government Association if a proposal goes ahead. A report prepared by council leader Martin Hill (Con) recommends that the council withdraw
A campaign to keep people safe while having a night out across Lincolnshire has won a national award. The “Ask for Angela”, run by Lincolnshire County Council, was named Best Personal Safety Campaign at the National Personal Safety Award run by the Suzy
Lincolnshire County Council could be one of the only councils in England and Wales to not be a member of the Local Government Association (LGA) if a proposal goes ahead. A report prepared by Conservative council leader Martin Hill recommends that the cou
It’s not everyday you can buy a pint for 10p - but members of King’s Cliffe working men’s club got to enjoy exactly that. As part of club’s 50th anniversary last weekend, members of the club were able to enjoy any alcoholic drink on the menu at the jaw-d
Voters in Bourne and the Deepings have three weeks left to register to vote in the Lincolnshire County Council elections on Thursday, May 4. Polling cards have been sent out across South Kesteven and anyone yet to get one is asked to check if they are re
The proposed blueprint for future health and care services in Lincolnshire has come under fire from the county council. Lincolnshire County Council’s executive board has issued a formal response to the Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP) produce
A bereaved husband has put out an appeal to women to visit their GP if they display any symptoms of ovarian cancer after the devastating illness claimed the life of his wife. Angie Morgan, who was a property conveyancer at Stamford law firm, Chattertons
An ex-Donington student is nearing peak fitness for the biggest run of his life after playing football just a month before his marathon adventure. Jordan Effield (21), of Billingborough, used up minimal reserves of energy to organise a charity match at t
The Bourne branch of NatWest will close in September after the bank said the way people do business had changed. The branch in the Market Place will close on Thursday, September 21. There are currently three members of staff working at the branch. A spok
Steeplejacks and specialist cleaners have been called in to clear a huge amount of waste left in a historic Stamford church by roosting pigeons. On Monday, a major operation to clean the tower and spire at St Mary’s Church got underway. The work is expec
Best-selling author Bill Bryson has named a Rutland church as one of his favourite churches. The renowned book writer included St Andrew in Whissendine in his 14 favourite churches for new church tourism website, ‘ExploreChurches’. The talented writer of
Police have released a CCTV image of a man they want to trace in connection with the theft of a chainsaw and safety helmet near Bourne. A Husqvarna-made chainsaw and helmet were stolen from the back of the truck while parked in Hanthorpe Road, Stainfield
Health and social care organisations across Lincolnshire are looking for people’s views own how to change and improve services in the county. United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust (ULHT), which runs Boston’s Pilgrim Hospital, wants to get patients and
- 10:14 Fire crews scrambled after candle in bedroom ignites mattress
- 10:14 Cheryl celebrates first Mother's Day as a mum after giving birth to...
- 10:14 Cincinnati nightclub shooting: One dead and 14 shot after gunman...
- 10:13 Todmorden Antiquarians: History of the Medieval Manor of Ightenhill
- 10:12 Keep our roads lighter and brighter, says Brake
- 10:12 This unusual accessory will tell you if people are interested in you
- 10:11 11 PLUS QUIZ: Are you smarter than an 11 year old?
- 10:11 Teenage pregnancy rate drops in Grimsby area - but is still among...
- 10:11 PICTURE SPECIAL: Steven Gerrard back in full Liverpool kit
- 10:11 Real Madrid ready to test Chelsea resolve: Cash plus player offer...
- 10:08 Police are hunting man who threatened robbery victim in Heanor with...
- 10:07 Athletics meeting held in Scunthorpe - pictures
- 10:06 11 PLUS QUIZ: Are you smarter than an 11 year old?
- 10:06 Harry Souttar has no regrets leaving Dundee United for crack at...
- 10:06 How Nottingham became the centre of miniature wargaming industry
- 10:06 Conor McGregor is not that good a fighter, he wont beat Floyd...
- 10:06 Arsenal ace makes Chelsea and Man United revelation: I could play...
- 10:05 Mother’s Day pictures, quotes and messages to help you celebrate...
- 10:05 Langham couple celebrate diamond wedding anniversary
- 10:02 Candle set bedroom on fire in the early hours
- 10:02 England XI to face Lithuania leaked: Defoe to start as Southgate...
- 09:59 Ukip's only MP quits party 'cheerfully and amicably' after spat...
- 09:59 Second fracking public exhibition to be held in Derbyshire village
- 09:58 The staggering amount of motorists posting on social media while...
- 09:58 Andrew Robertson and Josh Tymon wanted by Stoke City and West Ham...
- 09:58 The church column with Father David Standen
- 09:58 Big Interview part two: Tommy Docherty
- 09:55 Gunman shoots 14 people in attack on nightclub in Cincinnati
- 09:55 Moped driver flees after crash and leaves injured passenger behind
- 09:55 Jones Bootmaker sale saves 840 jobs