News from Shields Gazette
Police are warning tradesmen to be on their guard against having their tools stolen. The move follows a recently spate of thefts from trade vehicles in the Hebburn area of South Tyneside, in particular streets near Argyle Street towards the Tyne. Regular
Northumbria Police may be recruiting 600 police officers over the next three years - but two new starters in particular have caught the force's eye. Earlier this year the force announced plans to boost the number of police constables employed across the
Tens of thousands of visitors have paid a visit to this year's Sunderland Illuminations - and many more are expected to turn out during this week's half-term holiday. Witches, pirates, ghosts and fun activities are all appearing in Roker Park this week a
A sailing club in South Tyneside is on the crest of a wave after hosting a series of major events. South Shields Sailing Club has been praised for hosting three national regattas in recent week – with plans for them all to return to the town in the futur
A pair of robbers who knocked a drunk man to the ground and kicked him in the head have been jailed for three years. The victim had been enjoying a night out in Newcastle city centre when he started talking to Jamie Welsh and Dean Thompson. Newcastle Cro
It's time for a night at movies - and there's plenty to choose from at Bents Park's drive-in cinema. Launching on Saturday, the entertainment event is organised by Ocean Beach Pleasure Park and is raising money for the Mayor's Charity. If you fancy going
People talk about the cost of living – but what about the cost of dying? New figures reveal which parts of the North East are the most expensive for funeral costs – and which places have the cheapest cremations and burials. And, according to figures comp
Funding for community centres across South Tyneside is set to be pulled by council chiefs from April as they look to Community Interest Companies to take over the running of venues. Management committees were asked to draw up a business plan detailing th
Residents in Sunderland and South Tyneside are being given help to keep their wheelie bins safe from the hands of thieves and vandals. The advice forms part of the Darker Nights campaign - an annual initiative that sees community safety partners across S
A man has been locked up after turning up at the home of his ex girlfriends father and attacking him. Newcastle Crown Court heard Scott Atkinson, 30, had not seen the victim for 22 months when he knocked on his front door and threw a punch at him. The v
Newcastle United footballers are backing a national campaign to help people quit smoking. Players including striker Dwight Gayle and midfielder Jonjo Shelvey are fronting the club’s support for Stoptober and are reminding fans that it’s not too late to g
A man has been charged with drink driving following a three-car smash which left two South Shields people seriously injured. A 67-year-old man from South Shields was airlifted to James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough by the Great North Air Ambu
Brains get slacker with age in much the same way as the skin, new research has shown. Sagging skin caused by a loss of elasticity is one of the most obvious outward signs of ageing, but something similar happens to the brain, too, scientists have discove
An unemployed man has offered to donate a quarter of his wages to charity – if someone will give him a job. Simon Sinclair is so desperate to find full-time employment that he has vowed to give 25% of his first annual salary to a good cause. Mr Sinclair,
Two people are thought to have been trapped in a car following an accident in Jarrow. Fire crews from Hebburn and South Shields were called to Jarrow shortly before midnight last night. Two people were thought to have been trapped in the car which ended
- 13:05 Charity foundation will be caring Josh's lasting legacy
- 13:03 Aldi set to open first store in Rutland - with special golden...
- 13:02 Monte Paschi sub debt rallies on liability management proposal
- 13:02 VIDEO - Check out the world’s first airbag for cyclists
- 13:02 'Sick crew' BA jet diverted to Vancouver
- 13:01 Fall in number of crimes and anti-social behaviour incidents...
- 13:01 Biker relives horrifying moment he fell head-first on rocks and...
- 13:01 Support growing for finalists in contest
- 13:01 Thug who battered partner to death after finding her in bed with...
- 13:01 Beijing threatens legal action over webcam claims
- 13:01 Smartwatch sales show sharp decline, report finds
- 13:00 Family’s mission to help others
- 13:00 Bastian Schweinsteiger can lift Manchester United - Manuel Neuer
- 13:00 Chris Ashton to join Toulon from Saracens at the end of this season
- 13:00 Henrikh Mkhitaryan was supposed to show that Manchester United can...
- 12:59 Reunion event for workers of Bloom & Billet Mill set to take place
- 12:59 Season's first seal pups born at Lincolnshire nature reserve
- 12:59 What would happen if a nuclear bomb hit Scunthorpe?
- 12:59 Scunthorpe United look for good away following at Charlton Athletic...
- 12:59 Last tenant moves out as bulldozers are set to move in on Albert...
- 12:59 Government commits to using UK steel after giving backing to...
- 12:59 Anniversary for family run Whaley Bridge company
- 12:58 Biker relives horrifying moment he fell head-first on rocks and...
- 12:58 HK legislature delays swearing-in of pro-independence lawmakers...
- 12:58 Woman's agonising TWO-AND-A-HALF-YEAR wait for pain relief treatment
- 12:57 Screws placed around victim's car after vandals target home
- 12:56 Zac Goldsmith set to quit as MP over Heathrow decision
- 12:55 Councils aren't paying enough to cover the costs of home care for...
- 12:55 Wildlife broadcaster Simon King officially opens Gibraltar Point...
- 12:55 Four tonnes of asbestos fly-tipped near Marshchapel