News from Scotsman
Farmers and poultry producers have been ordered to keep their birds indoors due to what is seen as the growing threat of a virulent strain of avian flu arriving from the continent. Governments in Scotland and the rest of the UK have declared a prevention
The Charlotte Square Collection is planning a £2 million refurbishment of two townhouses on Edinburgh’s iconic Georgian square. Bosses said the overhaul of the properties at 24 and 25 Charlotte Square was being undertaken to meet strong market demand for
Complaints that had poured in from the farming sector over the operations of Business Stream, Scottish Water’s commercial supply arm, were aired during scrutiny of the organisation in the Scottish Parliament yesterday. Major areas of complaint included t
The former commanding officer of Royal Marine Sergeant Alexander Blackman has welcomed the decision to grant a fresh appeal in the case. Blackman, also known as Marine A, is serving a life sentence for murdering a wounded Afghan captive but an independen
Logistics group John Menzies today named Greg Michael as the new managing director for its distribution business. The Edinburgh-based firm said the former senior figure at delivery specialists DHL and Deutsche Post brings with him “relevant third-party l
Conservation experts fear the kittiwake population on St Kilda is at risk of collapse after numbers plummeted to their lowest levels. Conservation experts fear the kittiwake population on St Kilda is at risk of collapse after numbers plummeted to their l
The Liberal Democrats have been fined the maximum £20,000 by a watchdog for failing to properly declare all their spending in the 2015 general election. The Electoral Commission said it had also referred the matter to the police to see if any criminal of
Tidal power specialist Atlantis Resources said its pioneering MeyGen project in the Pentland Firth has taken a major step forward with the first installed turbine now operating at full power. The firm, which has its head office in Edinburgh, revealed the
Catch up with the main breaking business stories of the day. Pfizer fined £84m over ‘unfair’ epilepsy drug pricing Drugs groups Pfizer and Flynn Pharma have been fined nearly £90 million for “excessive and unfair” pricing to the NHS after hiking the cost
Brexit Secretary David Davis is expected to face calls in the Commons to reveal how detailed a plan Theresa May will set out before starting negotiations with the European Union. Faced with a revolt by up to 40 Tory MPs, the Prime Minister yesterday bowe
Transport minister Humza Yousaf has been caught driving without insurance, according to a report. Police officers are said to have stopped Mr Yousaf during routine checks on the A835 near Dingwall, Easter Ross, last Friday. Mr Yousaf, 31, who has come un
An inquest into the deaths of up-and-coming British band Viola Beach will take place later today. All four members of the Warrington band - Kris Leonard, River Reeves, Tomas Lowe and Jack Dakin - were killed alongside their manager Craig Tarry when their
A strong undersea earthquake rocked Indonesia’s Aceh province today, killing at least 54 people and sparking a frantic rescue effort in the rubble of dozens of collapsed and damaged buildings. Major General Tatang Sulaiman, chief of the army in Aceh prov
Drugs groups Pfizer and Flynn Pharma have been fined nearly £90 million for “excessive and unfair” pricing to the NHS after hiking the cost of an anti-epilepsy drug by up to 2,600 per cent. The Competition & Markets Authority (CMA) said drug maker...
Vauxhall said it has received “no confirmed reports” of fires starting in the heating and ventilation systems of some Corsa models after it was reported there may be a risk. According to The Sun, analysis of a burnt-out Corsa D, a model introduced in 200
- 10:34 Lib Dems fined £20,000 by watchdog over undeclared payments
- 10:34 WEIRD WINTER WEATHER: Temperatures to top balmy 12C
- 10:34 Drug-user told how she stole goods because she left purse at home
- 10:34 Pensioner admits kidnap and sexual assault of young girl in village...
- 10:33 Boy, 11, dies three years after accidentally hanging himself
- 10:32 Bayern Munich send ominous message to Arsenal on Twitter ahead of...
- 10:32 Jose Mourinho leaves SIX Manchester United first team stars at home...
- 10:31 Georgian townhouses to undergo £2m revamp
- 10:31 Flu risk leads to order to keep all poultry indoors
- 10:30 Britain fines Pfizer record $107 million for huge drug price hike
- 10:30 'Keep your birds indoors!' Birdflu outbreak warning issued for...
- 10:30 The Premier League's deadliest ever penalty takers - ranked by...
- 10:29 Letters - December 12, 2016
- 10:28 Santa to fly in to local hospice
- 10:27 CSKA Moscow star Alan Dzagoev looks to heap misery on Tottenham at...
- 10:27 DEBATE: Should the drink-drive limit be reduced in England?
- 10:27 Palmer concerned by Nailers’ Sunday switch
- 10:27 Manchester City’s Patrick Roberts reveals Pep Guardiola’s words...
- 10:26 New fund attracts £40m in just four days
- 10:26 Could your old mobile pay for Christmas? Classic Motorola and Nokia...
- 10:26 Death crash inquest opened
- 10:25 Tata steel and unions to meet over deal to save thousands of jobs
- 10:25 Keepers of poultry warned to keep birds inside to protect from bird...
- 10:25 New police powers will tackle Lancaster city centre crime
- 10:24 Young footballer scores goal – then drops dead on the pitch from a...
- 10:24 Everton vs Arsenal - win tickets to the Premier League match,...
- 10:23 CCTV still released after card stolen in Buxton burglary is used
- 10:23 Kenilworth D-Day veteran ‘overcome’ with emotion after receiving...
- 10:22 Lincolnshire Devolution: What now for the remaining eight?
- 10:21 EU fines Credit Agricole, HSBC, JPMorgan for Euribor fixing