News from Scarborough Evening News
Malton-based Insurance broker McClarrons has landed a top national award. The firm was announced as winners at Broker Network’s 2016 Conference, which took place at Old Billingsgate in London on Friday 7 October. McClarrons were awarded the prize for Bro
North Yorkshire’s very own Captain Jack Sparrow will be swashbuckling his way into Scarborough and Whitby later this month. The dead-ringer lookalike for Johnny Depp’s Pirates of the Caribbean character is inviting local pirates of all ages to join in th
Three quarters of parents are worried that using phones, tablets and games consoles is affecting their children’s performance at school. A new study looking at the impact of mobile devices on the lives of youngsters found that 75 per cent of parents felt
A group of supermarket workers have got knitting to raise funds for the Royal British Legion’s Poppy Appeal. Members of staff at the Sainsbury’s store on Falsgrave Road managed to knit 2,000 poppies and have displayed them in the supermarket attached to
Police chiefs in North Yorkshire are considering as many as 22 sites around the county where officers could share a base with fire service and ambulance crews as part of plans to save money and modernise the service. North Yorkshire Police’s estate strat
Scarborough secondary schools have experienced mixed fortunes in new performance league tables designed to measure pupils’ progress during their time at school. This is the first year the government has used a new measure - known as Progress 8 - to judge
A health alert has been issued warning parents over an outbreak of a polio-type virus that can easily be spread through coughs and sneezes. Cases of enterovirus D68 (EV-D68), which has no known cure or vaccine, have more than doubled in the last year. Li
A new project by Coventry University is to pay couples £400 to get raunchy on film to promote safe sex. The university, which has a campus in Scarborough, is targeting three sets of “real lovers to be tastefully shot” having sex in “natural settings”, in
Bottles of popular Kopparberg cider are being removed from the shelves at Asda supermarkets amid fears the glass may shatter. The Swedish cider firm recalled 750ml bottles of its Sparking Rose Strawberry and Sparkling Rose Raspberry ciders after reports
Scarborough Council leader Derek Bastiman has bowed to public pressure to hold an external inquiry into allegations of corruption within the council. Ben Marriott recently won a constructive dismissal claim against the council after tribunal judges ruled
Parents are boycotting a “racist” new government policy that requests the nationality and country of birth information for children between ages two and 19 in England. The request, which comes from the Department for Education (DfE) has led to some child
A Scarborough resident angry at the planned demolition of the Futurist unfurled a banner and yelled at councillors at the end of today's cabinet meeting at Town Hall. Michelle Richardson stood from the public gallery as the meeting was concluded and drap
THE POTENTIAL for Yorkshire to create thousands of jobs and businesses will be underlined by a new plan unveiled today as pressure grows on the Chancellor to herald an era of major investment in the North. Civic leaders will publish a plan showing how sp
At Flamingo Land we have a variety of animals which we bring out for sessions with the visitors and school groups. We have a few vertebrates and some invertebrates such as the giant African land snails. We currently have 10 adult snails of varying ages a
- 20:37 If Rosberg wins, I'll take it like a man - Lewis Hamilton
- 20:36 Here's why #dontbuythesun is trending on Twitter
- 20:36 Man charged over murder of Middleton dad Michael Hoolickin
- 20:33 Europe's mood hardens on Russia sanctions despite pause in Aleppo...
- 20:31 Manchester United’s midfield is suffering because of Paul Pogba,...
- 20:30 Grimsby Town boss Paul Hurst among favourites to be new Shrewsbury...
- 20:30 Concerned residents speak out against plans for 200 homes in Waltham
- 20:28 Huddersfield University student's 'disgust' over rollercoaster...
- 20:27 Jose Mourinho takes another swipe at ‘phenomenal’ Liverpool and...
- 20:27 Champ boxer clinches £39K bargain at Derby's property auction
- 20:26 City news: Heathrow, London Stock Exchange, Coral and Glencore
- 20:25 Businessman who planned Albert Dock 'Enterprise Village' banned for...
- 20:23 Burton's Bass Brewery welcomed robots in £25 million plan in July 1989
- 20:23 Newhall WI knit 160 poppies to mark fallen soldiers from South...
- 20:21 Danger driver Elliot Bray spun off M62 by police
- 20:21 Huddersfield hospital shake-up chief: 'It's not a popularity contest'
- 20:21 Paul Merson: My prediction for Arsenal's clash with Middlesbrough...
- 20:21 Arsene Wenger handed injury boost: Influential Arsenal star reveals...
- 20:20 Everton's waterfront stadium would fulfill Bill Kenwright's dream,...
- 20:19 Guardiola's Manchester United management dream - the truth
- 20:19 British Cycling chief executive Ian Drake to step down and will...
- 20:17 Tom Cruise gives rookie a masterclass in film
- 20:17 Tax credit firm's contract 'to end early'
- 20:17 Paul Gambaccini considering suing Met Police over sex abuse...
- 20:14 Open night for new maritime group in port
- 20:14 Saudi coalition violated law with Yemen funeral strike - U.N. monitors
- 20:14 Manchester United star Henrikh Mkhitaryan absence revealed
- 20:14 Inter Milan 1-0 Southampton: Antonio Candreva fires Italian side to...
- 20:14 British Cycling chief executive Ian Drake to step down and will...
- 20:12 Grado doesn't let a BO scare or a dingy on selfies get in the way...