News from Salford Advertiser
Leisure bosses in Salford have banned sugary drinks in a bid to help tackle the city’s obesity epidemic. Salford Community Leisure, which run eight centres across the city, has removed sugar-laden fizzy pop and juices from vending machines and cafes. It
A mother fears her severely autistic daughter could be forced to move many miles away after councillors decided to close the specialist home where she lives. Rachel Barton, 15, and Declan Dickinson, 13, will have to move from the Salford children’s home
The first witnesses are expected to begin evidence in the trial of a teenager accused of murdering Wesley Lennon. Wesley, who was also known as Wesley Barnard, was 26 when he was fatally stabbed in the chest in an incident at Cambrai Crescent, in the Win
Salford’s mayor has pledged extra cash to stamp out poverty in the city - despite yet another round of brutal cuts. Paul Dennett launched a scathing attack on the Tories for leaving thousands of Salfordians destitute while those in leafy southern shires
Protesters furious at proposed cuts to services in Salford will gather to demonstrate as town hall bosses rubber stamp £16m-worth of savings. Trade union members will lobby the council on Wednesday morning as the city’s eighth austerity budget is set. Th
A teenager is expected to go on trial shortly accused of murdering a man he stabbed to death in Eccles. Wesley Lennon, 26, also known as Wesley Barnard, died after suffering stab wounds in an incident in the Winton area in August. Adam Akhtar, 18, of Som
The killer of tragic mum Sian Roberts was one of the ringleaders of the Strangeways riots , the M.E.N can reveal. Glynn Williams, 53, also known as Glyn Williams and Glen Williams, was last week jailed for life for murdering mother-of-one Sian at her hom
Developer submits new plans to build 600 flats at Salford Quays - weeks after original proposal was rejected
Developers whose plans to build almost 600 plush flats at Salford Quays were thrown out by planning chiefs are making another bid to have them passed. Fortis Developments bosses had to go back to the drawing board after proposals to transform Furness Qua
'Loutish' teenager who carried out frenzied knife attack on two people near the Printworks is jailed
A ‘dangerous’ teenager who left a man fighting for life in a ‘frenzied’ attack outside the Printworks has been locked up for seven years. ‘Aggressive and loutish’ Levi Shannon, 18, stabbed two men within minutes of each other after a night out at the Bir
Stunned residents woke to find a new neighbour had moved into their quiet Salford street - former Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson. Not the opinionated TV presenter in person, but an 8ft high fibreglass sculpture of his head. The towering bust, which forced
House prices in Salford have soared as estate agents ‘scrambled’ for stock. Homeowners saw prices rise by almost double the national average - rising by 13.1 per cent in 2016. According to figures released by the Land Registry, the average house prices i
Teenage lesbian couple 'told off by security guard for putting people off their food' after kiss in...
Two teenage girls say a security guard started ‘shouting and swearing’ at them when they shared a brief kiss in a Morrisons supermarket. The couple claim he told them they were ‘putting people off their food’ and yelled: “It is disgusting.” Morrisons bos
Two people have been arrested following an armed robbery at a shop in Salford. More than £1,000 was stolen during the raid n New Bailey Street on Thursday night. A man wearing a balaclava went into the store carrying a bag and confronted staff and custom
Prisoners in Salford are being routinely handed leaflets on how to ‘safely’ take dangerous illegal drugs such as Spice. The pamphlet - distributed to inmates when they order items such as toiletries and cigarettes - details an 11-point checklist of ‘safe
Sister of prisoner found dead in cell reveals he saw inmates high on Spice being carried out on stretchers
The devastated sister of a prisoner found dead in his cell says inmates are being regularly carried out of their cells high on Spice. Darren Rawlinson, 38, was found unresponsive in his cell in Salford ’s Forest Bank prison last month. His death follows
- 03:40 Mass Effect Andromeda release date minimum specs revealed as...
- 03:38 Care home woman to get £45,000 payout for 'deprivation of liberty'
- 03:38 Director boycotting Oscars will address London premiere of his...
- 03:20 Nintendo Switch games list receives huge Zelda Breath of the Wild...
- 03:18 Wary of Trump unpredictability, China ramps up naval abilities
- 03:04 UK terror threat 'at highest since 1970s IRA plots'
- 02:45 Vehicle hits crowd at New Orleans parade
- 02:29 Kim Jong-nam killing: Malaysia airport terminal declared safe
- 02:14 Kate Beckinsale is effortlessly stunning in figure-hugging black...
- 02:11 Oscars 2017: Who's predicted to win, and other things to look out for
- 02:08 'Your hands were always in her handbags': Aaron Chalmers hits back...
- 02:08 'She's thrilled and SO excited': Gary Lineker's ex-wife Danielle...
- 02:08 Tom Jones is the first judge to steal on The Voice as he takes on...
- 02:08 Tom Hardy sealed the BAFTA for Most Mesmerising Actor of 2017, not...
- 02:08 'What do people think goes on?': Michelle Keegan fires back at...
- 02:08 Satur-bae! Una Healy shows off her slender figure in sweeping...
- 02:04 How do you have yours? 12 ways to have pancakes this Shrove Tuesday
- 02:03 Greeks bridle against 'never-ending' austerity
- 01:48 UK to pledge £17.3m for robotics research
- 01:47 Round-ups from North Wales football
- 01:34 I know this much is true... tinnitus is driving me mad! Spandau...
- 01:32 The child abuse scandal of the British children sent abroad
- 01:30 BREAKING: New Orleans HORROR: At least 12 CRITICALLY injured after...
- 01:30 Iran plans to buy Kazakh uranium ore, seek Russia help to make...
- 01:26 Scotland captain John Barclay insists side will be even better...
- 01:13 Art and disability: The performers demanding to be judged on merit
- 01:06 Magician's death by hanging in Hollywood ruled accidental by coroner
- 01:05 Honda Classic: Rickie Fowler hopeful of better luck against Tyrrell...
- 01:01 Guingamp 1-2 Monaco: Kamil Glik and Fabinho penalty help Ligue 1...
- 01:01 Manchester City midfielder 'uncle' Yaya Toure coy over a new deal...