News from Salford Advertiser
These intimate portraits of LS Lowry have never been seen before. And one photo is particularly striking. A beautiful shot shows the artist with an unknown girl with a bag chips on a street in Salford. It was taken in 1966 by a teenager commissioned to t
An Italian restaurateur found murdered in his home was facing trial after thousands of pounds worth of cocaine and cannabis were discovered in the property. The body of 61-year-old Giuseppi Roncari, who was known as Giorgio Roncari, was found at his two-
Nightclub that has hosted Justin Bieber and Drake has licence suspended after 10 assaults in 12 months
A city centre nightclub which has hosted the likes of Drake and Justin Bieber has had its licence suspended after 10 assaults in the past 12 months Police called an emergency meeting of Salford’s Licensing Panel after a violent assault at Bijou in Chapel
'Damaged pride and revenge' were behind series of gang shootings that left three injured, court hears
‘Damaged pride and revenge’ lay behind a series of shootings which left three men injured, a court heard. Eight men have gone on trial accused of conspiring to possess a firearm which was used in four incidents in October 2015. Jurors in the Manchester C
Masked thugs threatened staff with Samurai swords during raids at two Salford pubs. Three men brandishing weapons burst into the Henry Boddington’s pub on Bolton Road, Swinton , during the first robbery on Sunday April 9. One man, armed with a samurai sw
A public-spirited Swinton pensioner known as the ‘eyes and ears’ of her neighbourhood has scooped a top community award. Vera Whitworth, 85, landed the prestigious gong at a glittering ‘Hollywood-style’ awards ceremony which recognised the unsung heroes
A man was attacked with an axe inside a city centre nightclub, it has emerged. The 31-year-old victim was at The Bijou Club, on Chapel Street , which is on the city centre border with Salford , when he was attacked at around 4am . Police and the ambulanc
Drone images show a Grade II listed castle as it has never been seen before. Shrouded by trees, with its tower reaching through the greenery, Agecroft Cemetery Chapel looks like the lonely Gothic retreat of Edward Scissorhands. Admirers have likened it t
A disgraced former cricket coach has been banned from engaging in sick child sex role play. In a landmark order, John Williams, 54, will face jail again if he goes online to take part in perverted web chats. A court heard how Williams, who lives in Eccle
A man who lent his mate his van was ordered to pay more than £1,000 after he used to it to dump rubbish at a known grot spot. When Sajid Latif Mughal was unable to help Salford council bosses find the man who used his vehicle to fly-tip, he found himself
A crooked club steward invented fake lottery winners in a bid to disguise his thefts, a court heard. Andrew Swift, 54, was given an £18,500-a-year job at Higher Irlam Social Club back in 2012, as well as family living quarters at the premises. But Manche
Salford council chiefs are planning to buy scores of homes to help tackle the city’s housing crisis. Town hall bosses are planning to snap up former Right to Buy properties before they hit the open market in a bid to help the city’s most needy. The radic
Salford councillor stands down after getting £50,000 job as Cheshire's deputy police and crime commissioner
A Salford councillor who faced calls to quit the town hall after landing a top job as Cheshire’s deputy police and crime commissioner has stepped down. Labour’s Sareda Dirir was handed the £50,000-a-year position despite a panel finding she had only...
A trucker who carried out a series of arson attacks on a Salford tower block has been banned from setting foot near the building. Mariusz Wieczorek, 44, who had a parking grudge put scores of lives at risk and told investigators he could be a 'fire-breat
Drunk driver with 100 previous convictions fled house party and led police on high-speed chase through Salford
A drunk driver who ‘fled a house party’ and sped through Salford in a high speed police chase has been jailed for two years. Steven Matthews, who had 100 previous convictions, raced his car around the city at 70mph in 20mph zones while officers pursued h
- 04:41 UFC News: McGregor open to Pacquiao fight, Woodley criticises...
- 04:41 Tony Ferguson: Conor McGregor is the favourite in my weight class,...
- 04:41 Wigan 42 Catalans 22: Shaun Wane's young guns help Warriors to...
- 04:41 Luis Suarez sends message to Lionel Messi after Barcelona beat Real...
- 04:25 Sean Dyche reveals the real reason why Manchester United beat Burnley
- 04:25 Dani Carvajal: This is why Barcelona beat Real Madrid in El Clasico
- 04:24 Marcus Rashford's Manchester United team-mates believe he is the...
- 04:00 North Korea arrests US citizen trying to LEAVE Pyongyang as global...
- 03:57 Navy officer Michael Samwell's car theft death 'beyond criminal'
- 03:48 POLL: Jeremy Corbyn wants workers to have four extra Bank Holidays
- 03:47 China stocks extend losses on tougher regulation
- 03:42 US prepares to EVACUATE 230,000 Americans from South Korea as part...
- 03:41 Talks due in bid to resolve Southern rail row with RMT
- 03:39 Venezuela's President Maduro calls for talks with opposition
- 03:39 North Korean university names detained US citizen
- 03:29 Japan's Nikkei hits near 3-week high on French vote relief, Sony...
- 03:26 Britain’s Got Talent: Just Us leader’s soap role REVEALED after...
- 03:18 China's strong first-quarter growth highlights positive signs:...
- 03:07 Ros Altmann: A care system that penalises the elderly
- 03:07 Kirsten Simister: Gallery excels at the art of raising profile of Hull
- 03:07 Jayne Dowle: Flawed politician could be the saviour of democracy
- 03:00 ‘Kim Jong-un will drag the US to WAR’ Ex-Navy chief claims Trump...
- 02:42 Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho got exactly what he...
- 02:40 American member of watchdog OSCE killed in Ukraine
- 02:39 Watson pins hopes on pensions pledge to win back Ukip voters
- 02:24 Mel B’s nanny claims she had ‘seven-year affair’ with the former...
- 02:07 General election 2017: 'No apology' for Labour's union ties
- 02:06 EU drugmakers urge June decision on new location for watchdog
- 02:04 Take out Kim NOW: Trump BEGGED to act against North Korea before...
- 02:04 Putin’s Navy ‘could control ANY situation’, Russian chief...