News from Rutland Times
Plans to build five new detached homes on land previously earmarked for allotments have been rejected by councillors. Larkfleet Homes had been seeking permission to build the properties on the western edge of its Hawksmead development in Oakham which wil
Maternity staff at Peterborough City Hospital have celebrated their reaccreditation from the Unicef Baby Friendly Initiative. The Baby Friendly Initiative is a worldwide programme of the World Health Organization and UNICEF. It was established in 1992 to
A rural business network which launched last week has chosen Rutland-based charity Change Agents UK as its charity of the year. Women in Rural Enterprise (WiRE) Leicestershire and Rutland Network has been founded by Claire McFadden owner of printing firm
A schoolgirl from Stamford who helped get megastar Adele on board with a charity album is now hoping to raise £10,000 for the same cause by releasing her own EP. Talented singer-songwriter Chloe Lorentzen, 11, and her family are big fans of American folk
The grandfather of a 15-month-old boy who tragically died last month is planning a 24-hour darts marathon to raise funds for a charity which helped his family. As previously reported in the Mercury, Freddie Coles passed away on January 27 following eight
Casterton College Rutland has been rated ‘good’ in its latest Ofsted inspection which highlighted the vast improvements that have been made in the last 18 months. Under the leadership of Principal Carl Smith, who took over the running of the school in su
Children’s services provided by Rutland County Council require improvement before they can be considered ‘good’, according to a new report. Ofsted carried out an inspection of services for children in need of help and protection, looked after children an
A woman and her three-year-old grandson looked on in horror as two greyhounds savagely attacked their four dogs – leaving one dead. Heather Chamberlain, 49, set off for a walk from her home in Knossington Road, Braunston, Rutland, at about 3pm last Wedne
The Duchess of Cambridge got a glimpse of the work of the RAF Air Cadets during a visit to RAF Wittering on Tuesday morning. She was visiting in her capacity as the Honorary Air Commandant of the RAF Air Cadets - a role she has held since December 2015 -
The Duchess of Cambridge got a glimpse of the work of the RAF Air Cadets during a visit to RAF Wittering this morning (Tuesday, February 14). She was visiting in her capacity as the Honorary Air Commandant of the RAF Air Cadets - a role she has held sinc
Three people have been nominated as candidates to become the next Rutland County Councillor for Exton ward. The poll for the Exton by-election will take place on March 9 between 7am and 10pm. The three candidates nominated are: Claire Alison Barks, UK In
The A1 is closed at Colsterworth this afternoon (Monday) following a serious collision involving two lorries. The carriageway is closed and traffic is queueing on the northbound carriageway. A diversion is in place. More details as we have them.
Pupils at Casterton College Rutland proved they are all in it together when they put on a show-stopping performance of Disney’s High School Musical last week. Audiences were on their feet singing along to this modern classic with Harrison Taylor playing
Landscape designer and gardener Adam Frost will open his first ‘Garden School’ in March in the village of Barnack. Led by Adam, who has won seven gold medals at RHS Chelsea Flower Show and hosting other expert guest tutors – Jim Buttress, Michael Marriot
The Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials has chosen World Horse Welfare as its first official charity of the year. The world-famous competition, which will run at Burghley House from August 31 to September 3, has selected a charity of the year for the first
- 08:47 The Premier League’s top scorers across all competitions this...
- 08:47 Wolverhampton taxi drivers warned not to use old rank
- 08:47 Wolverhampton bins to be collected once every TWO WEEKS in shake-up
- 08:47 Man assaulted in Whitehaven after getting into what he thought was...
- 08:45 Time the great challenge in Brexit talks
- 08:45 Two Barrow teenagers banned from football for five years after...
- 08:45 Action urged as rural firms set to be hit by rates crisis
- 08:45 Kim Dotcom can be extradited, New Zealand High Court rules
- 08:45 Delays on Leeds-bound M1 after multi-vehicle crash at Wakefield
- 08:45 Cake sale in aid of north Cumbrian teenager badly hurt in crash
- 08:44 Emma Watson has launched an Instagram account that is going to...
- 08:44 Morrisons recalls beef slices over listeria fears
- 08:44 Thanks for the support - now give us brass
- 08:43 The morning news headlines: Theresa May warned of 'crash landing'...
- 08:43 European shares led higher by telecoms, Unilever slump weighs
- 08:43 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:42 Person rescued from early morning house fire
- 08:42 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:41 Two Barrow teenagers banned from football for five years after...
- 08:41 Delays on Leeds-bound M1 after multi-vehicle crash at Wakefield
- 08:41 Oscar nominee Isabelle Huppert 'nearly wasn't in Elle'
- 08:41 WW2 veteran fulfils wartime wish by turning 100 surrounded by...
- 08:41 Brian Wilson: Crunch time now for BBC Alba, a Scottish success story
- 08:41 Which pop stars deserve a blue plaque in their honour?
- 08:41 Donald Trump state visit will be debated in Parliament
- 08:41 Column: Decision must be made about college
- 08:40 NHS IN CRISIS: ‘Stroke patients will have to travel further to...
- 08:40 Delays on Leeds-bound M1 after multi-vehicle crash at Wakefield
- 08:39 Firefighters tackle car blaze near Ludlow
- 08:39 Video: Tadcaster whole again as Archbishop blesses bridge