News from Ripon Gazette
Different points of view over the future of the Valley Gardens were raised in at a packed open meeting in Harrogate. Called by the volunteers of charity group Friends of Valley Gardens who are worried over damage caused to the park by events such as the
Millions of Brits are leaving their windows and doors unlocked, leaving keys in the garden and relying on their dog to keep their home safe, a study has found. One in five leave their doors unlocked all or most of the time on a typical day and 48 per cen
The developers of Pokemon GO are getting into the spirit of the season by announcing a series of Hallowe’en-themed special features. From tomorrow, players will receive double the usual amount of candy for every Pokemon they catch and, as an extra bonus,
Midwives at Harrogate Hospital have been promised a 'compassionate and positive' working environment thanks to a national campaign to protect NHS maternity staff. Harrogate and District Foundation Trust have become the latest trust in the North of Englan
A Swedish firm has designed the world’s first airbag for cyclists. The Hövding airbag is designed to revolutionise head protection and videos of the invention online have attracted more than 150 million views as cyclists get excited about the inflatable
There wasn’t a City Matters column last month due to the launch of the draft Ripon City Plan consultation which has been a focus for my work. Even over the last month this has continued to dominate with organising consultation events such as the recent b
Readers may have spotted the words ‘Zero Carbon Harrogate’ starting to pop up regularly at events across North Yorkshire. But what or who, does it refer to? Rather than being a case of pie in the sky, this new group is only one of many local organisation
The tenant-owners of The Old Ticket Office cafe at Knaresborough Railway Station say they are determined to survive what has been a nightmare two years for them. Situated in the spot which was once occupied by Off The Rails restaurant, their popular cafe
The award-winning Yorkshire Meatball Company has announced the closure of its Harrogate restaurant just one month after launching their recipes in national supermarkets. A message posted on the company's website said they would be permanently closing the
Babies should sleep in the same rooms as their parents for the first year of their lives - but never in the same bed - as it reduces cot death by 50 per cent. Child health experts warn never to put infants to sleep on sofas, armchairs or soft surfaces to
Harrogate will remain the only major postcode in Britain without a Tesco - and many in the town are now calling for affordable housing, a business park or a park-and-ride to take its place. Everyone seemed in shock after the surprise decision - including
THE BISHOP of Ripon, the Right Reverend James Bell, is to retire next April. He has been Bishop of Ripon since the creation of the new Diocese of Leeds in 2014. He was previously suffragan Bishop of Knaresborough in the former Diocese of Ripon &...
The restoration and adaptation of a former Victorian coach house in Ripon into a new, modern, eco-friendly home has been named as the best project in Ripon Civic Society’s Annual Awards. The Society’s Awards, presented at a ceremony at the city’s Spa Hot
Harrogate Borough Council is to hold a public consultation as to whether the authority should seek to amend legislation to increase the opportunity to hold more and different types of events on the Stray, an area of 200 acres (80 hectares) of open grassl
People carrying knives and dangerous weapons in Harrogate have been invited to voluntarily dispose of the blades, as part of a nation-wide crackdown on knife crime. Police all across the nation are taking part in Operation Sceptre - a coordinated week of
- 16:36 Man to face magistrates over alleged dangerous dog attack
- 16:36 Scottish X Factor reject blasts Nicole Scherzinger and accuses her...
- 16:36 AI creates gallery of nightmare images for Halloween
- 16:35 Leicester’s hospitals have 1,300 patients waiting over a MONTH for...
- 16:35 Wall St. falls as earnings from some big names disappoint
- 16:33 Investigation after blaze rips through terraced Birstall house
- 16:33 Next IMF aid tranche demands tough, Ukraine official warns
- 16:32 Outraged MP tweets photo of 'xenophobic' refugee poster in Parliament
- 16:32 Mark Carney 'understands' savers' anger with low interest rates as...
- 16:32 'Wonky' Harris Hawk stolen in break-in
- 16:31 Charitable young people help renovate Nelson centre
- 16:31 Jack O'Connell to star in Alexander McQueen biopic
- 16:30 Schweinsteiger belongs on Manchester United team sheet says German...
- 16:30 Guardiola reluctant to throw Man City kids in against Manchester...
- 16:30 Halloween makeup: How to do this spooky skeleton manicure
- 16:29 Why can’t the NHS treat my mental health as effectively as my cancer?
- 16:29 Libyan interference in rescue may have caused 30 migrant deaths -...
- 16:28 Anglesey Aluminium demolition starts to make way for £1bn biomass park
- 16:28 NHS fertility pioneer who helped thousands have children dies at...
- 16:28 Nazi POW's postcard returned to family by teacher
- 16:27 Police provide update over shocking footage of girl beaten in...
- 16:26 ‘Fascinating’ photographic archive of 1920s Leith published online
- 16:26 Win a magical Disney holiday
- 16:26 Music review: Goat
- 16:25 Elderly couple feel lucky to be alive after car smashes into their...
- 16:25 Ex-car auction firm boss 'can't wait for justice' in Lloyds Bank...
- 16:25 Brackley robber who cut woman’s hand with knife sentenced to four...
- 16:25 Morrisons launches in-store pumpkin carving lessons for parents
- 16:25 Which country is the most generous in the world?
- 16:24 US child porn case Briton loses High Court extradition battle