News from Pontefract & Castleford Express
Supermarket Morrisons has recalled one of its meat-based products over concerns it may cause flu-like symptoms among vulnerable people. The retailer has asked customers who bought its 150g Ready to Eat Peppered Beef Slices to return them, after the Food
A firm has partnered up with the Roald Dahl Literary Estate to create lesson plans on each of the world-famous author’s best-known stories. The partnership with Wakefield’s YPO involves using tales such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, George’s Marv
Planned roadworks for Yorkshire for the week beginning Monday, February 20. M62 junction 22 to junction 23 Outlane The westbound carriageway will be reduced to a single lane overnight for six nights from Monday 20 February for road marking works. The clo
Spring will be in the air this weekend as temperatures rise in Yorkshire thanks to a tropical wind warming the county. The mercury will rise through the weekend and peak on Monday with potential highs of 16C anticipated around some coastal cities. That w
A £20,000 project to renovate and expand a nursery is expected to get underway next week. The work at the facility at Kinsley and Fitzwilliam Learning and Community Centre means the nursery will be able to take an additional 20 children when the extensio
Kind-hearted Ryan Szabo is on a charity mission to make poorly children’s wishes come true. Mr Sazabo, of Pontefract, will tackle a trek of almost 200 miles in honour of the Make a Wish Foundation UK on July 2. He will begin his journey in Newcastle, bef
The National Coal Mining Museum and a theatre group are teaming up to tell the story of the Bevin Boys. But they need your help to dramatise the story of Bevin Boys, who were conscripted to work down the mines during and after World War Two. The museum h
A towering war horse statue to honour fallen soldiers is one step closer to being built in a meadow in Featherstone. Planning officers at Wakefield Council have given the green light for the majestic 20ft sculpture to be installed at land off Wakefield R
Gangs of yobs have been terrorising customers and staff outside Tesco in Hemsworth. Each night the youths gather outside the town centre store and have been shouting abuse at passers-by, swearing, littering and throwing mud and eggs at windows and cars.
It was a soggy start to this year’s Rhubarb Festival but with promise of milder (and drier) weather, the crowds slowly began to gather for the first morning of the annual three-day event. Kicking-off at 10am, and with a bit of drizzle still lingering, th
Hallmark and Arriva Yorkshire teamed this morning to spread a little goodwill across Yorkshire during Random Acts of Kindness Week. 500 Hallmark cards containing inspirational messages were handed out to people at Wakefield bus station as they started th
Hemsworth MP Jon Trickett has hit out after an information day that HS2 Limited was due to hold in Crofton has been moved across the district at short notice. The company, which has drafted high speed rail plans affecting our area, was meant to host a co
Brits will part with almost £1.2MILLION on household bills in their lifetime, according to a new study. The average family will be forced to spend an eye-watering £19,187.37 every year on mortgages or rent, insurance, gas and electric. That means over th
Government and National Health Service bosses must plug a multi-billion pound funding gap in the NHS budget. Following explosive reports this week on the plans that could alter the course of the NHS in England, we’ve summarised everything you need to kno
Cuts to health and social care budgets are to blame for 30,000 extra deaths in England and Wales during 2015, a new study claimed. The excess deaths, representing the largest increase in deaths in the post-war period and included a large spike in January
- 01:46 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte opens up on John Terry selection dilemma
- 01:45 PSG 0-0 Toulouse: Edinson Cavani made to rue missed chances as...
- 01:31 Rangers caretaker boss Graeme Murty says Dundee loss is 'not...
- 01:31 Owen Farrell can lead Lions in tour of New Zealand, say former...
- 01:31 Ireland fly-half Joey Carbery left out of Joe Schmidt's plans for...
- 01:26 Australia’s David Warner does not intend to sledge ‘world class’...
- 01:23 U.S. economy now on 'sound footing' - Fed's Mester
- 01:16 Striking school staff to stage 24-hour vigil in Derby city centre...
- 01:14 MISSION SAS: Special British troops SPEARHEADING Islamic State...
- 01:14 Muslim schoolboys ‘EXCUSED from shaking hands with women’
- 01:13 Shangri-La is in Surrey! Moving to a retirement village 'adds years...
- 01:13 Toddler with leukaemia is saved by world first after scientists...
- 01:13 NHS cuts 15,000 beds in six years: One in ten have been axed -...
- 01:13 How Indians will 'vote their caste' in huge state election
- 01:13 Murder of leader's half-brother shows North Korea getting bolder -...
- 01:03 Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler shows off his scars from horrific...
- 01:03 Harry Kane brushes off knee concerns as he eyes playing in every...
- 01:02 Trump tries to explain remark about Sweden amid ridicule
- 00:57 Pep Guardiola speaks out at treatment of Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger
- 00:54 Sir David Attenborough to present Blue Planet sequel
- 00:54 Single malt Scotch whisky exports top £1bn for first time
- 00:54 Holyrood committee to review 'hedge rage' legislation
- 00:54 Areas of oil and gas off Scotland 'may have been missed'
- 00:50 'Fly high with our lost son': Heartbroken wife pays tribute to...
- 00:50 Arsene Wenger reveals three reasons why Arsenal must fear Sutton
- 00:50 Ipswich striker Freddie Sears: I won't be the forgotten man
- 00:49 North Wales firm secures £82m deal with Ministry of Defence
- 00:42 Eurocrats 'to coax UK into paying £51BILLION divorce bill BEFORE...
- 00:38 SoftBank shares up; sources say company willing to cede control of...
- 00:38 Japan Jan exports rise 1.3 percent year-on-year: MOF