News from Pontefract & Castleford Express
Senior police officers leading the fight against cyber crime in Yorkshire and the Humber have urged the public to take basic precautions after statistics revealed almost one in three people in the region had shared their passwords with someone else. Nati
A multi-car crash on a motorway near Leeds is causing heavy delays this afternoon (Wednesday). The crash happened at around 4pm on the A1 (M) near Junction 44 at Aberford. Highways England said the southbound lane, from Junction 44 to Junction 42 near Lu
The opening of two new shops as part of a £8.5m development will provide 100 new jobs in the run up to Christmas. Developer Dearne Estates confirmed retailers Aldi and B&M would open shops ahead of the festive period, at the site of the former...
A security man carring several thousands pounds in cash was assaulted during one of two violent robberies in West Yorkshire yesterday lunchtime. Detectives are linking the incident in Cleckheaton with a second robbery in nearby Gomersal, during which a v
It’s two months until Christmas, and the reality TV stars of Britain are beginning to crawl out of the woodwork to sell their fitness DVDs. The peddling of various miracle workouts has already begun in earnest and former stars of The Only Way is Essex or
A talented sculptor visited police in Wakefield to meet her muses for her latest project. Branwyn Owens, 42, visited the city yesterday to see the mounted and dog section for the force. Her latest artwork will be based upon the sculptures of police dogs
Patchwork Pate has recalled 15 varieties of its pate over fears it could contain the toxin responsible for potentially fatal botulism food poisoning. The company has been forced into the recall after being unable to prove the effectiveness of its safety
The chances of spotting the Aurora Borealis above Yorkshire should increase over the next few days, according to weather experts. According to the British Geological Survey, elevated geomagnetic activity caused by a high-speed solar wind will take place
Police who tweeted about rescuing a cockerel from a road were inundated with messages - saying the bird looked like Donald Trump’s HAIR. West Yorkshire Police posted a message saying: “This is who we rescued today from M62 at Lofthouse” along with a pict
One of the most famous chairs in TV history is coming to Yorkshire for the first time. A replica of the iconic Iron Throne from hit HBO drama Game of Thrones will visit Trinity Walk shopping centre in Wakefield this Saturday (October 29). The seat - made
A Network Rail track worker has been praised after he carried an injured swan which crash landed on the railway line for half a mile to receive treatment. Brian Harris, a mobile operations manager at Network Rail’s Knottingley depot, came across his new
More bad news for motorists as the cost of fuel rose again last week, with unleaded petrol now at 115.2 pence per litre. This is 1.5 pence per litre more than the previous week, similar to the 1.4p rise the previous week. Office of National Statistics fi
Take That superstar Gary Barlow today announced he will join songwriting pal Eliot Kennedy to perform at the Jo Heselden-Edwards' Hidden Wounds album launch for Help For Heroes. The spectacular charity concert will see him on a star-studded bill singing
The violent murder of a newspaper employee is being re-examined by detectives, 30 years after his death. William Bill Smith was walking along an unlit pathway at the back of Mirfield Memorial Park and the Calder Hebble Canal when he was brutally attacked
Wakefield’s MP has joined dozens of cross-party colleagues in demanding an extra £350 million a week in post-Brexit funding for the NHS. The appeal, based on the high-profile pledge by the Vote Leave campaign, has been described as a chance for pro-Brexi
- 09:58 Children 'forced to sleep by roadside' after Calais Jungle...
- 09:58 FOOTBALL RUMOURS: Blanc wants United job, Allardyce for Wolves?...
- 09:57 Pensioner slasher back behind bars after going on run from jail
- 09:57 All you need to know about the new Royal Bank of Scotland £5 note
- 09:55 Demand for fibre helps BT meet forecasts, pension deficit widens
- 09:55 England beat USA to host rugby league World Cup in 2021
- 09:55 Manny Pacquiao steps up workout ahead of boxing return as...
- 09:55 Eurowings cancels hundreds of flights amid cabin crew strike
- 09:55 Leeds to lose star man in summer: Leicester scouted him in EFL Cup win
- 09:55 UK economic growth slows to 0.5% in third quarter
- 09:54 Final council votes in favour of Lincolnshire devolution
- 09:53 Cumbria warned to prepare for icy winter weather from next month
- 09:52 Gin prices will increase to painful levels if inflation rises 3%
- 09:50 Waiter knocks thumb off Roman sculpture at British Museum
- 09:50 Man charged with firearms offence after special police operation in...
- 09:50 The Great British Bake Off reaches record audience
- 09:50 WATCH: Erosion has led to fish-pass problems
- 09:50 Bamburgh WI, Meeting
- 09:49 India detains Pakistani diplomat at Delhi Zoo for 'spying'
- 09:49 Support for South Korea's Park slides to all-time low amid crisis...
- 09:49 More shops opening in Leicester than closing down
- 09:49 Brexit fails to knock Shoe Zone
- 09:48 East Midlands Airport flights could be hit by strikes today
- 09:48 Chemistry department rebirth is now completed
- 09:46 Russia tests prototype nuclear warhead for Satan II which could...
- 09:46 The UK economy has grown since Brexit
- 09:46 Saints skipper Wood earns England recall
- 09:45 Hockey: Burton hit back to claim first victory of campaign
- 09:45 Find the row with empty seats and buy a VIP lounge pass for £20:...
- 09:45 Hockey: Defeat for brave Barton in top-of-table thriller