News from Oldham Chronicle
OLDHAM'S newest gritter has been named Nicole Saltslinger after X-Factor judge and former Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger. Royton Hall Primary School pupil Eve McGrath won a competition to name the vehicle, the latest addition to the council's nine-stro
THE stage is set for a new Coliseum Theatre in Oldham's Cultural Quarter after plans were awarded a multi-million pound funding injection. A successful Round 2 joint funding bid by Oldham Council and the theatre has seen Arts Council England approve a gr
A MUM-OF-TWO stole the limelight winning a regional weightlifting competition and breaking records. Jane Girdlestone (41) who trains in Oldham with coach Lee Moran said she had never set foot in a gym before two years ago. But just over a week ago, she o
SHE was determined, brave and dignified and refused to be overwhelmed by the horrific disease which bombarded her time and time again. But sadly even the ferocity of Sarah Swindells' relentless battle to live wasn't enough to beat her cancer demons which
DO YOU know someone who deserves a very special Christmas wish this year? Your caring Oldham Evening Chronicle has linked up with generous-spirited Saddleworth Round Table to ensure someone really does have a memorable Yuletide. Perhaps its a friend or n
OLDHAM Academy North is praised in the annual report by the chief inspector of schools which paints a mixed picture for the borough's children. The Royton secondary is singled out as an example of a school where middle leaders - roles such as subject lea
CHRISTMAS consumers will be entertained by one of the world's best brass bands in Oldham tomorrow. Nine-times British Champions Brighouse and Rastrick will play in Parliament Square, outside the new town hall complex, at 2pm. They are one of nine brass b
OFFENDERS are being warned to be on their best behaviour as Greater Manchester Police launches 12 days of Christmas, with a twist. Instead of turtle doves, gold rings or French hens, the only thing offenders are set to receive is a microwave meal for one
JULIE Hollis is to step down after 15 years as head teacher at Blue Coat School. She is leaving to concentrate on leading the growing Cranmer Education Trust, the multi-academy trust set up by the Church of England secondary. Mrs Hollis joined Blue Coat
A PROMISE of more fun for young people has come with the awarding of a £4,600 grant to Fullcircle at the Yew Tree Club in Chadderton. The money will mean that a range of activities will continue to be on offer for eight to 12-year-olds at the Alcester St
CHRISTMAS is a time for giving and one Royton church is calling on residents to donate a present to ensure no child is left out this festive season. Bethesda Church, on Dogford Road, has launched its annual Christmas Toy Appeal and is hoping to spread fe
EDUCATIONAL establishments across Oldham have been urged to tackle mental health issues in young people. Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership (GMHSCP) called on educational institutions to provide a 'sanctuary' for children and young peo
A FAILSWORTH GP urged residents to visit their vulnerable neighbours this Christmas as his number one winter health tip. Dr Zahid Chauhan called on Oldhamers to do their part to prevent isolation, which can have a "devastating effect" on...
OLDHAM and Rochdale Councils have secured talks about a direct tram link to Manchester Piccadilly station. The Oldham-Rochdale line is now the only branch of the regional Metrolink network without an uninterrupted link to Manchester's key station. Jean S
OLDHAM, Tameside and Stockport colleges are set to merge as part of a shake-up of post-16 education in the region. The plan is part of a long-awaited final report of the review into the future of 21 sixth-form and further education colleges across Greate
- 11:40 Christmas 2016: Family Festival of Carols at Lichfield Cathedral
- 11:39 Residents fight against Coppull greenbelt homes
- 11:39 Owner of filthy sandwich shop banned for five years
- 11:39 Cunning plan hatched by this driver is foiled by police
- 11:39 Biker hurt in Blackpool crash
- 11:39 21 pictures you should see this week
- 11:39 Hull City transfer rumours - Reading striker on the agenda?
- 11:39 Live updates as police at scene of serious incident in Walker...
- 11:39 Muslims ‘forced to leave Christmas market after setting up Islam...
- 11:37 Dr Tony Xia claims Aston Villa will be Europe's best within a...
- 11:37 Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil once again praises 'idol' Zinedine...
- 11:37 The shocking scale of drug driving revealed
- 11:35 PICTURE: Lorry gets stuck under bridge on Derbyshire road
- 11:33 Jurgen Klopp confirms the one Liverpool player he would sell in...
- 11:33 Kerching! Lincoln Christmas Market's boost to city's small traders
- 11:33 Liverpool legend: I would have succeeded Sir Alex Ferguson as...
- 11:33 Dad donates dead son's unopened Christmas presents to sick children...
- 11:33 Dangers of the diet pills sold on the High Street: Experts warn...
- 11:32 Water shock! River clean-up nets a big haul
- 11:32 Organisers hoping for big turn-out at Xmas Market
- 11:30 BREAKING: Explosion tears through China leaving many feared dead
- 11:29 Stowaway migrants found crushed under trucks in Austria
- 11:29 Manchester City vs Chelsea, Premier League LIVE: Follow all the...
- 11:29 Yobs wreck blood biker’s Triumph Tiger
- 11:27 Key man exit may pave way for Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard to...
- 11:27 Jamie Carragher: This Liverpool ace has to be realistic about his...
- 11:27 Manchester City v Chelsea: LIVE Premier League scores and updates...
- 11:24 Stourbridge FC count down clock to huge FA Cup clash
- 11:20 Retirement village gets in the festive spirit
- 11:20 Conor McGregor insists Floyd Mayweather called him first saying...