News from Northumberland Gazette
HMP Northumberland now has a new director in place after his predecessor was promoted to a new role. Tony Simpson took on the role at the category C prison, which is run by private-sector operator Sodexo, in 2015, but he has now handed over to Nick Leade
Mid Northumberland District Scouts will be taking on their first cyclathon this weekend, in aid of Mind – the mental-health charity. The young people and adult volunteers are aiming to cycle 950 miles; the distance between the centre of their district an
Staff and customers at Argos, in Alnwick, are celebrating after stores in the region reached their £100,000 fund-raising target for charity partner, Macmillan Cancer Support. The target was initially set as a challenge by Cramlington store manager Nicola
Friends who walked around the clock have raised more than £700 for charity. Derek Allan, from South Broomhill, and Shaun Watts, of Hadston, did laps of Ladyburn Lake at Druridge Bay Country Park in aid of The Alzheimer’s Society. The pair walked for 24 h
A father with Parkinson’s Disease is teaming up with his daughter to brave a skydive for the charity which supports those living with the debilitating condition. Ron Bernstein, from Alnwick, and 17-year-old Olivia, from Rothbury, are setting their sights
The years-long effort to create a development framework for Northumberland looks set to be delayed further as a motion to withdraw and review the core strategy has been submitted. Despite the Northumberland Local Plan Core Strategy being submitted to the
Archaeologists have made exciting new discoveries which may well have turned a long-held belief about Holy Island on its head. Many in academic and ecclesiastical circles have long maintained that the close linear arrangement of the Parish Church of St M
A two-day showcase of local food and drink proved to be a recipe for success, attracting a huge number of visitors. The annual Taste of The North was held in Alnwick Market Place last Saturday and Sunday. During the opening day, a record number of Harley
A magical time was had by all during a wizard weekend at Alnwick Castle, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the first Harry Potter book. JK Rowling’s debut novel was published on June 26, 1997, and Alnwick Castle was used as Hogwarts School of Witchcra
An Amble man is walking the entire length of the Northumberland Coast Path on Thursday in a bid to raise £500 for charity. Paul Yuill, who works at Heighley Gate Garden Centre, near Morpeth, is walking the 100km or 62-mile stretch from Berwick to Cresswe
Two people have been found guilty of murdering a teenager in Cramlington. Owen Kerry was stabbed during an altercation outside Cramlington Workmen’s Social Club at around 10.30pm on Christmas Eve last year. The 19-year-old, from Cramlington, passed away
A special fly-past which was due to be staged in Northumberland today to mark an anniversary milestone will not go ahead as planned, due to poor weather conditions. The 72 (Reserve) Squadron from RAF Linton-on-Ouse, in North Yorkshire, was set to conduct
The Arts Council is set to double its annual funding to Northumberland as the investment for the next four years was announced today. In the county, a total of £4,760,976 is being invested over four years from April 2018 in Arts Council national portfoli
The Berwick branch of the Labour Party celebrated the progress made in the recent General Election at a packed meeting at the Brown Bear in Berwick last week. Having replaced the Lib Dems as the only real challenger to the Conservative Party in the Berwi
Police are asking for the public’s help to trace a wanted man from Northumberland. Sean Coleman, 26, is wanted on a prison recall as he is suspected of driving dangerously in the Ashington area. Coleman, of Ashington Drive, Stakeford, was convicted of dr
- 22:11 Burglars raid Salendine Nook home stealing thousands' worth of...
- 22:11 Wall Street surges as banks, tech stocks spark rebound
- 22:11 Fed gives big U.S. banks a green light for buyback, dividend plans
- 22:10 Tupton Hall School headteacher makes pledge after ‘inadequate’ rating
- 22:09 The Week The Landlords Moved In: Viewers APPALLED by 'evil' owner...
- 22:09 Road rage incident sparks police probe
- 22:09 Athletic events such as Ironman 70.3 give people of all ages the...
- 22:08 Antonio Conte delaying Nemanja Matic’s move to Manchester United...
- 22:05 Lions Tour 2017: Mako Vunipola relishing 'home' Test against New...
- 22:04 Citigroup plans $18.9 billion capital payout over next four quarters
- 22:04 Shocking moment Poundland shopper swings another woman round by her...
- 22:02 White Gold season 2: Joe Thomas breaks silence on new series
- 22:02 Linfield 1 La Fiorita 0 as Belfast side take slender lead to San...
- 22:01 Food in Bruges restaurants cost MORE for tourists than locals
- 22:01 Militant group withdraws threat to attack Niger Delta oil industry
- 21:57 Paedophile breached order by talking to boy, nine, in Chorley
- 21:57 Inquest opens into Ellen’s tragic death
- 21:55 Watch Fabinho and Nemanja Matic in action: Could they form perfect...
- 21:52 David Mundell faces fresh calls to resign over £1bn DUP deal
- 21:50 Hedgehog had to be popped by vets after he blew up like a balloon
- 21:49 Liverpool Transfer News: Aubameyang blow, Oxlade-Chamberlain...
- 21:48 Portugal 0-0 Chile (Penalties 0-3): Claudio Bravo's spot-kick...
- 21:44 Atletico Madrid star Saul Niguez reacts to Manchester United...
- 21:42 EU in CRISIS: Slack in eurozone looks worse than we thought, warns...
- 21:41 Israel attacks Syrian position after mortar lands in Golan Heights
- 21:40 Peter Andre was spotted busking on a street in North London by some...
- 21:34 Germany's Gabriel urges lasting ceasefire in eastern Ukraine
- 21:33 VIDEO: Sir Vince Cable urges firms to back £1m Weston Park Cancer...
- 21:33 THE WEEKEND STARTS HERE: 10 awesome things to do in Derbyshire
- 21:32 Six charged over Hillsborough disaster